Downsize from 60v to 48 v

thd

1 µW
Hello everyone, I need help here,am new to EV and want a few questions answered.Bought a used trike at a bargain price without a battery,this is the info I have, used to work on 60 volts. Controller is 60 v,motor is wheel hub mount with indication 60 volt 500 watt.I would like to downsize to 48 volt.Need to know if this is possible and what to do,along with what I need to purchase for the conversion. Thanks to all. THD

Just hook up your 48V battery to the 60V controller. What does the controller say for discharge amps, and can your 48V battery handle it.

Hi Markz
Haven't bought anything yet, don't have a battery to try and controller is in chinese, but would like to know if it can be done before incurring any expenses. Thanks for any more info and help.
What size battery should I look for?

Why do you want to lower the battery voltage?
If it's to get a smaller battery, buy a lower AH version.
If it's to lower the top speed, don't drive as fast.

I can't think of many good reasons to change the system is such a way, but here are a few draw backs.
It will be slower, and sluggish through the mid range
You'll need a new charger
You may need a new controller as the LVC of a 60v controller will be too high for a 48v battery, but this may be programmable in the settings if available.

Hey kdog,
Thanks for the reply, let me explain the situation a little better, I bought this bike for my wife who has limited physical ability to use at a campground we stay at. The maximum speed there is 8 MPH, she doesn't like speed anyway.Also the price of a 60 volt battery is extremely expensive.My concern is can I use a 48 volt battery with the said motor hub,do I need a new controller or anything else to make this trike work, like I mentioned I am new to this and don't know where to start.Thanks for all input.
P.S. I have no idea what LVC stands for and don't know how to program.

The LVC of the 60V will be to high for the 48V unless you can change it through software, otherwise you need to find the resistor network on the pcb to change the LVC. Low Voltage Cutoff - Cuts the battery off when the battery reaches a certain voltage, for 60V it would be 49 or 50V. A fully charged 48V 13S is 54.6V using Lithium Ion 18650's.

Buy a controller that is 48V to have the correct LVC. The battery will also have a LVC only if it has BMS inside the battery.

The motor doesn't give a rats what voltage of battery is so you're fine there.
As mentioned you will need a new controller and any associated equipment that goes with that such as display (unless you can change the LVC of the one you have) I don't know how sophisticted this controller is, some are simple some are more complicated, but you'll likely need to do some rewiring to make it fit (most just connectors and stuff like that).
Posting some photos might help, and then any details on make of the parts like controller etc.

A link to the trike brand/model would help.
Do you intend to run Li or Lead acid batteries ?
If you are planninf to buy a Lithiun pack, it will be much simpler and cheaper to buy a 60v pack... the cost will be similar for equivalent run time (Wh capacity)
Speed can be limited by the throttle
Do not get into changing controllers or resetting/reprogramming unless you have experience in that area.

Thanks to all for the help,I will be posting pictures soon as I need help in identyfing other parts.
As far as speed is concerned I know we control it with the throttle,however can I get decent speed if I go with 48 volts, the 60 volt batteries will run in the 500$ US range whereas I can get a 48 battery for approx. $ 125 which leaves me with ample money left for a controller.All help will be appreciated,and just to let you know, I don't know how to program controllers so hoping to get something simple to install. Thanks once again.

Back