Can Tesla converted to diesel?

recog

1 µW
Hiya!

The question may sound stupid I would like to know if i can run brushless ac/dc motors directly from a diesel electric generator without batteries?
Can you supply electric say to a tesla enough electric with 250kVa electric generator??
How to calculate power needs of a motor? Can I directly feed 4x 10kw ac hub motors from 40kva diesel electric generator ? Or do i still need batteries or some type of regulators, capacitors etc?

cheers

recog said:
Hiya!

The question may sound stupid I would like to know if i can run brushless ac/dc motors directly from a diesel electric generator without batteries?
Can you supply electric say to a tesla enough electric with 250kVa electric generator??
How to calculate power needs of a motor? Can I directly feed 4x 10kw ac hub motors from 40kva diesel electric generator ? Or do i still need batteries or some type of regulators, capacitors etc?

cheers

Lol yes certainly but.. uhm.. Why? It is kinda like.. making two shafts do the work .. where.. the work of one is typical... YOu will lose efficiency and wste resources going from an ac generation to a dc load.

...yes you would need a regulation of some sort, a way to invert/convert the current wand whatnot. Straight off the wires...Lol.

We ran out home for 20 years right from the shaft of a diesel Yanmarr in the shed turning an AC motor.

recog said:
Sure. That's how diesel locomotives work. But it would be a very strange thing to do for a lot of reasons (efficiency, weight, noise, pollution etc)

If you invented a charger that ran off your generator and convinced the car to accept a charge while running, this would work. Otherwise you're relegated to doing a complete hack of the entire battery/power management system to put that power into the battery directly from the generator.

This is a waste of fossil fuels though. The best thing to do would be to drive the wheels directly. You'll lose so much of your fuel to electrical-mechanical losses that it just won't be worth it.

This is why the Fisker Karma failed. The resulting car had hilariously low efficiency, was expensive, heavy, and slow. If you were to construct a series hybrid type setup like this, you'd probably feel the same about the end result. The more times you convert one form of energy to another, the more you lose.

Series-hybrid is my favorite drivetrain for a plug-in electric EV. That being said, a pure series hybrid would be easy to figure out, and as far as retrofitting, all it takes is money...lots and lots of money.

My son has a Chevy Volt, and the battery is small, maybe 80 miles? But the thing is, he drives to work and back quite easily on that range, and plugs in while he sleeps. About once a month, they take it on a longer trip so the engine/generator gets run for a bit.

For all other considerations, they have a second car, gasoline-only.

In that scenario, he might use a gallon of gas a month, and at that low of a consumption, bio-diesel becomes viable. However, there is currently an anti-diesel bias in the EV power brokers who are pushing the regulations that "encourage" certain designs, and dis-incentivise others.

I think we need a better idea of why you want diesel in a Tesla. An expensive car that seems like it would be downgraded by what you're talking about.

It should be cheaper to maybe build this. https://rqriley.com/product/urba-town-car-hybrid-electric-plans/ Bigger motor is good. Better generator.

neptronix said:
This is why the Fisker Karma failed. The resulting car had hilariously low efficiency, was expensive, heavy, and slow.
Yep. One of the reasons the Prius did NOT fail is that it can be both a parallel and series hybrid. During normal hybrid operation, the motor drives the wheels directly, and the motor/battery system primarily drives the transmission controls and provides acceleration boost and regen braking. During PHEV operation only the electric motor drives the wheels. That way you avoid two conversion steps in the gas engine -> rotary power -> electric power -> rotary power -> wheels process.

This cannot be for a car conversion ?
How big/heavy is a 250kv diesel generator ?.....=- 3 tons !! :shock:
So,.. static use for a Tesla traction motor ?
NsCShj.jpg

I'm not planning to convert any EV to a diesel. :mrgreen:
The question was if you can feed an EV motor directly with an internal combustion engine.
Since I'm EV noob I didn't know there are "series hybrid" cars exists.
If I understand it correctly an internal combustion engine can feed directly the main EV motor to move the car or charge the batteries. Great!
That is what I was going to invent. :lol:

I'm planning to built a 4x4 off road vehicle and I would like to feed all 4 DC hub motors with 50 kw diesel with DC generator.
I don't think any efficiency problem or wasting a resource. That is basically how electricity is generated all over the world.

I need to do more research on this idea. There are good DC motors on the market but I need a very low rpm engine since tyres are big and vehicle speed will be limited to 40 mph.

recog said:
I'm planning to built a 4x4 off road vehicle and I would like to feed all 4 DC hub motors with 50 kw diesel with DC generator.
[...]
but I need a very low rpm engine since tyres are big and vehicle speed will be limited to 40 mph.

It sounds like you could use portal axles, which will give you gear reduction plus extra ground clearance.

What you're talking about is common for giant mining trucks, but not other off-road vehicles that I am aware of.

Hummers use portal axles to obtain ground clearance.
Maybe you'll need a trailer to tow that big yellow diesel generator :lol:

Don't even bother with electric, just roll coal brutha and if you want a green thumb and a whale to save, find some fast food joints with lots of oil to use. :wink:

edit - Hummer style portal axles. Hummers weight 7k-8k lbs

2.jpeg

1.jpeg

Chalo said:
recog said:
[...]
but I need a very low rpm engine since tyres are big and vehicle speed will be limited to 40 mph.

It sounds like you could use portal axles, which will give you gear reduction plus extra ground clearance.

What you're talking about is common for giant mining trucks, but not other off-road vehicles that I am aware of.

Thank you! It is very good idea! A quick search returns with ZF electric portal axle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23-i0niqDP4&ab_channel=ZFGroup

250KW / 22.000 NM! No need that yellow generator guys =)
25 hp / 220 NM more than enough for me.

recog said:

Thank you! It is very good idea! A quick search returns with ZF electric portal axle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23-i0niqDP4&ab_channel=ZFGroup

250KW / 22.000 NM! No need that yellow generator guys =)
25 hp / 220 NM more than enough for me.
[/quote]

Portal axles were used on the lightweight German VW Kubelwagen, though that particular version didn't feature very much ratio reduction.

I made this meme years ago to see how many people i could offend at once.

coal-rolling.jpg

I encourage you to coal roll the right way.

Westin Chaplin (Youtuber) has done it with a Mustang.
So yes, you can convert a Tesla to diesel if you have the time and the money.
Though it might have to be a small 800cc diesel engine to fit in a Tesla

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/entertainment/a33951482/ford-mustang-cummins-diesel-swap/

1.jpeg

MJSfoto1956 said:
So you're after something like this?
[attachment=0]

neptronix - You can add these to your handy desktop file.

An EV converted to diesel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejLfSs9J-M

Rolling coal unto an EV

1.png

neptronix said:
I made this meme years ago to see how many people i could offend at once.

coal-rolling jpg

I encourage you to coal roll the right way.

I actually find that offensive. I think that means you win the thread. :lol:

I agree the H2's and H3's are a joke. I prefer the military style H1's. As far as the Mercedes-Benz Unimogs go, they are off road beasts, I'd prefer the Unimog over the H1.

The 1st pic are 416 Unimog portal axles. How they would stand up to 44" or larger tires I do not know compared to the "go to" Rockwell two and a half ton axles, 2nd pictures. The biggest thing for the portals is to look into, would be are parts easily accessible and reasonably priced.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Elektrosherpa said:
markz said:
Hummers use portal axles to obtain ground clearance.

Hummers... LOL

Real portal axles are to be found in UNIMOGs:
https://imgr4.eurotransport.de/Unimog-fotoshowBig-74d52030-302928.jpg

I think a small gas-turbine and some fuel would easily fit on a roof rack for a Tesla X. You can get about 10 kw from one, probably enough to run indefinitely off of that (i.e. not draining battery). Or you could opt for something smaller and just use it to re-charge if you don't need to drive continuously.

Of course, you'd need to develop the genset, but I don't see it being a major challenge. Maybe the harder part is convincing the Tesla to charge while driving. And making it properly off-road worthy. Larger wheels and a lift kit should be doable without too much work, but I don't know if that'd be off-road-worthy enough.

If you want some pointers to suitable gas-turbines I can get you started.

Back