Water cooled controllers

ebike11

1 MW
Hi all
I see a few of these types on aliexpress. They basically have 2 brass nipples sticking out from the end of the controller.
Would it be a huge benefit to do this or is it more a gimmick?
What do you connect to the brass ports..hose...??
Looked around but didnt see too much info
Thanks

I'd say it depends. How much room do you have in the frame to upgrade to a larger controller?

Motorcycle? Car?

For an ebike, I'd say thats its not worth it.

For a car/truck conversion, I do believe its a great option to have.

For a motorcycle, it could go either way. Zero is getting great results with an air-cooled motor/controller/battery. However, Im sure its possible there could be benefits to cooling a smaller motor or controller, instead of buying and fitting a larger unit.

You would need to add hoses, a pump, and a radiator.

spinningmagnets said:
I'd say it depends. How much room do you have in the frame to upgrade to a larger controller?

Motorcycle? Car?

For an ebike, I'd say thats its not worth it.

For a car/truck conversion, I do believe its a great option to have.

For a motorcycle, it could go either way. Zero is getting great results with an air-cooled motor/controller/battery. However, Im sure its possible there could be benefits to cooling a smaller motor or controller, instead of buying and fitting a larger unit.

You would need to add hoses, a pump, and a radiator.
Thx for the advice!!!

They are not well implemeted at all ive just got a controller with a loop and its going to need some improvisation to get a result from it.

Where the fets sit on the outer edge the water runs underneath with zero engagment but with the surface of the plate alone.

My intentions is to put a line of small cpu hewtsinks along the bottom of the controller on inline with the water passage and the fets contact to the alloy plate above them the situation is not ideal theres like 5mm of alloy inbetween and then a thermal bridge to the hestsinks that sit inside the water channel in the loop.

There should be a vast inprovment comapred to air cooled alone if the water is chilled sufficiently but its never going to be as good as a well designed controller with a much easier path to get hest out the fets.

Its possible to mount fets direct on heatpipes then use these direct mounted to a heatsink that lives in a water loop and the thermal path would be good as it gets the fets could operate on their spec limit and not got anywhere near hot.

Back