Evaluate my build plan, fine forum members?

Motoman65

1 mW
So I believe i've gathered enough information to almost think I know what I need for my (tentative) 35-40mph DIY project, but my lack of experience is obvious so i'd like a critical evaluation before I formally buy anything:

First, the motor...I thought that my voilamart 1000w 9c clone would be fine if it had more power, but it seems like investing into a true 1500w-2000w motor will probably prevent many issues before they start, so that's a priority.

2ndly, the controller, I thought i'd be fine with whatever generic one would come with the aforementioned kit, except unless I hear otherwise I will need one that's able to deal with a 72v battery, so buying that separately may also be necessary.

3rd, the battery, in order to fulfill my need 4 speed, I clearly will need a decent amount of volts, but at a size that's practical enough to fit on a mountain bike (tentatively), really preferably in a shark case, since i've become spoiled with being able to lock my battery up while i'm in stores, but at these price-points I may consider adapting to some sorta locking cover, not sure.

4th, cooling, If I have a big-ol appropriately sized motor as opposed to trying to supercharge my voilamart 9c clone, will I still need to worry about overheating and such? In any event, I have statorade in mind.

5th, the bike itself, I'm using a mountain bike with steel forks and no suspension at the moment, with v-brakes. It doesn't seem like that would be wise for the upgraded power, so I may end up replacing that as well, especially given the condition of the state-funded roads here in the midwest. I read that smaller wheels (20inch) somehow help increase speed? Was kind of confused by that, but I'm trying to be optimal, however if the pricing is too ridiculous for a full-suspension bike with 20-inch wheels i'm staying 26. Speaking of pricing, if I cannot stay below the price of something that can zoom me along without becoming a mechanic, I will probably go that route, but the time it seems to take for those things to be specially made is not time i'm willing to wait when I could reasonable do it myself faster and cheaper.

Now, my actual needs: I would like to be able to go 35+ for relatively short periods (under 10 minutes) when i'm on main roads to keep up with traffic, as it unnerves me to be putting along with questionable motorists behind me without the ability to reasonably accelerate if needed. The rest of the time my average speed is around 20mph, and I like to help my motor when the uphill seems rough because why not? I do not ride for fun, or on trails to intimidate local senior citizens, this is my vehicle. So in the expert opinion of those who have traversed these roads for much longer than I, please tell me all the holes in my plan so I can avoid expensive errors. Being as there's shipping issues in china right now, I'd like to get everything from places with U.S stock,also. I am a very large man, at 125 pounds (not kilograms), so factor that in as well. Also before anyone says "get a motorcycle m8", I don't have a license, nor do I necessarily want to get one right now, so there's that.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your feedback. :bolt:

You should get used to the idea of motorists overtaking you. That won't hurt you, but encountering pavement defects or debris at 35+ mph and being thrown down in the traffic lane might.

Riding an unsuspended MTB at 20mph is reasonably comfortable and quiet, and gives you a little time to see and respond to surface conditions. At 40 mph, you have half as much time to notice a hazard, but it takes four times as long to stop. Wind noise will diminish your situational awareness, and cracks or holes in the surface will make you cuss even if they don't unseat you.

If you want to go motorcycle speed, use a motorcycle. It's still a lot less safe than a bicycle, but much safer than a bicycle that moves at motorcycle speed.

Chalo is spot on here. I have a "slow" TSDZ2 on a hardtail MTB, a CYC X1Pro Gen 2 on a full suspended MTB... and a Triumph Tiger 800. I also ride pedal bikes for fitness and fun. Whilst the CYC has the power to run with some traffic and the bike having big tires, full suspension and hydro discs is very secure at that speed, it isn't smart to do it on the roads with traffic. The bike doesn't have the necessary lights and such and people just aren't expecting the speed so they won't see you. Also very deadly to approach intersections at speed... even WITH good lighting like on my Tiger. So I never just go tearing around on the CYC bike at full speed. Near intersections, traffic, pedestrians, I always keep the speeds down to the normal bicycle realm. Off road and out in the country it's another story... But if you are in a commuting situation be careful and be smart.

Chalo said:
You should get used to the idea of motorists overtaking you. That won't hurt you, but encountering pavement defects or debris at 35+ mph and being thrown down in the traffic lane might.

Riding an unsuspended MTB at 20mph is reasonably comfortable and quiet, and gives you a little time to see and respond to surface conditions. At 40 mph, you have half as much time to notice a hazard, but it takes four times as long to stop. Wind noise will diminish your situational awareness, and cracks or holes in the surface will make you cuss even if they don't unseat you.

If you want to go motorcycle speed, use a motorcycle. It's still a lot less safe than a bicycle, but much safer than a bicycle that moves at motorcycle speed.

I have a relatively cheap build with a cheap hub motor from a 1000w kit, a kt 1500w controller and a 13s5p battery of sanyo NCR18650GA in a halong case.
I have a bad front suspension fork and stiff rear, disc brakes.

Fully charged it will go about 50kph, around nominal about 45kph and about 40kph before lvc.
I think as long as it does at least 45kph it is fine, under that it is slow.
I dont think I would want to ride it in 60-65kph.

The controller has pretty bad throttle control, for a faster bike I would want something better.
And probably a 1500w hub (about 35mm)

I would go for a stiffer battery with sony vtc6 cells or similar.

From riding my old one I know suspension is actually quite important, cause even though I know my main routes pretty well, speed+bumps is not good for any part of the bike. Now i've gotten interested in some of those enduro style bikes, we will see what happens!

Back