Looking for drive reduction suggestions

willo

10 W
I am plotting to add some interesting bits to my 46ft Sailboat.

Please share ideas on how to drive a 1.25" shaft with something on the order of 15-25kw of power. Final drive rpm should end up around 1400-1800-. (The diesel is designed to run at around 2800rpm with a 2:1 final drive, so only 1400 for that guy.)

In particular, I''m researching solutions for connecting the Motenergy ME-1616 to the propeller shaft of the boat.

Thunderstruck has a solution that looks to be a timing belt based option:
https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/custom-ac-gear-reduction.html

I will probably make up something custom to fit the space. So for now, just trying to figure out what might work with that much power transfer.
Thanks!

I might have a solution for you, this guys seem to be pretty professional on what they do, I ordered from them before, I'm sure you can get your 2:1 reduction (with enough strength to withstand 25kw) , custom pulleys and belts, but you will need to look afterwards on how to mount it and stuff, a thick plate with some bearings will do.

https://powge.es.aliexpress.com/store/702327?spm=a2g0o.detail.100005.1.64292e04SvWYQd

ffewfs.JPG

Try to make a model of some kind, so they can understand it easier, I recommend using fusion 360 (CAD), It's pretty easy, or draw on a paper, take in mind the language barrier you and these Chinese guys.

Excuse my English, I'm Spanish.

zzoing said:
25 kilowatts? Perhaps that's the same as a 250CC motorbike? Would the gear reduction of a motorbike be OK?

For any given amount of power, electric motors usually make a lot more peak torque (which is what breaks gearboxes).

Chalo said:
For any given amount of power, electric motors usually make a lot more peak torque (which is what breaks gearboxes).
Im sure you know that mechanical power is just a theoretical figure calculated from torque
Torque is what a motor produces, and what is physicaly measured.
The main difference between a electric traction motor and an ICE , is that the electric produces much more torque at low rpm ..often max torque at zero rpm..( which is what breaks gearboxes !).....and, depending on the controller ,can maintain that high torque level over a wide rpm range.
An ICE produces a variable torque output over the rpm range ( starting low at zero rpm) and briefly peaks at a relatively high rpm.

Back