EasyDIY OpenSource display for EVs: TSDZ2 and Bafang M500/M600 EBike motors

casainho

10 GW
Final documentation on How to build the display, here: https://opensourceebike.github.io/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because 850C / 860C display are expensive, suddenly fail and were done to not be repaired, I now have our simple, DIY, easy to repair display, based on the SW102 display. It works very well but still needs some more firmware development, mainly to refine some things.

Here is a video of the display working on my EBike with TSDZ2 motor:
[youtube]viimR74NPZk[/youtube]

I did the 3D printing enclosure in a way it fix to the handlebar in a similar way of the Garmin GPS displays, using the elastic, so should be easy to fix on any handlebar position.
On the bottom there are 4 small screws on the corners, to easily open in the case of needed repair:

It also works with our mobile app, where we can make the configurations, change the assist level and see motor data:
android1-small.jpg
android2-small.jpg
android-config1.jpg

rcx194 said:
Hi all. First time I've tried using my TSDZ2 bike since Covid homeworking started 19 months ago for me. The bike wouldn't power up. The 860C display back light comes on but display stays black. I'm able to flash the display and upgraded the firmware but still same. I guess it just died.

Later I will also use this same display for my Xiaomi scooter:

Schematic:

Picture of the circuit:
TSDZ2_wireless_board_small-05.jpg

I did a new design because I wanted to make the display water prof. I think it is not water prof but in the end I got new ideas how to improve the design to make sure it will be. Meanwhile, here is the latest design:

Finally I insulated my display, using tape and then silicone. Soon I hope to start using this display on my ebike, then make a release of the firmware and write instructions for how to build it:

Because the OLED 0.96 inches screen is a bit smaller than the electronics itself, the volume of the final build is a bit big compared to the screen itself. So I decided to try with the OLED 1.3 inches, that is the exact same size of SW102.
Both this OLED screens has the same pixel count of 128x64.

Here the result:

This looks great! I wanted to do something similar for my vesc... can I download it somewhere?
By the way, I've found a nice trick (I think) to make waterproof 'buttons' - just take typical 6mm buttons recessed into the shells so they stick out half a mm, and cover them with membrane 3d printed in TPU (just I layer).
TPU is very tough, waterproof (if you print it with first layer a bit lower than usual so layers merge together) and you can glue it to the shell pretty easily.

BalorNG said:
This looks great! I wanted to do something similar for my vesc... can I download it somewhere?
Thanks. And what are you looking for, for the firmware or for the printed enclosure??

Firmware here: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/ev_display_bluetooth_ant

casainho said:
BalorNG said:
Thanks. And what are you looking for, for the firmware or for the printed enclosure??

I've liked your enclosure, there are projects for screens for the vesc, but since they are (for now, maybe it will change with 75100 controller) mostly used by esk8ter people, they are of limited use for a bike (remotes, etc).

BalorNG said:
casainho said:
BalorNG said:

I've liked your enclosure, there are projects for screens for the vesc, but since they are (for now, maybe it will change with 75100 controller) mostly used by esk8ter people, they are of limited use for a bike (remotes, etc).
I will share the design files later.

Here are the files for the enclosure: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/ev_display_bluetooth_ant/tree/main/3D_print_enclosure

I did finish the configurations menus. Next week I will be using this firmware on my EBikes and if all goes well, I will make a release and I will document the build process for the display, as also update the TSDZ2 wiki:

I just installed the second unit of the DIY OpenSource display on my mini cargo bike with TSDZ2:

Pictures of my 5 months old baby, while we do our daily ride on the mini cargo bike with TSDZ2 -- sleeping at the end.

I am being testing the display and the screen data on the display, is almost invisible against the sunlight - my only hope is that this OLED displays get better over time.

More pictures, the ones I will be using for the documentation:

Final documentation on How to build the display, here: https://opensourceebike.github.io/

3D printed enclosures, version for the OLED display 1.3 inches at left and 0.96 inches at right:

I did a very first release of the firmware: https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/ev_display_bluetooth_ant/releases

I also updated the documentation, because the firmware is ready for OLED displays of 1.3 or 0.96 inches displays, with SPI or I2C connection. I did the 2 different schematics, and SPI whiles has more wires to solder, the display refresh is faster so there is less flickering:

I2C schematic:
schematic_display_I2C.png

SPI schematic:
schematic_display_SPI.png

Hi,

A question about the schematic diagram
It does not show any connection to the common of the 850c remote keypad. should this be wired to 0V or 3.3V

Thanks

shimrod said:
Hi,

It does not show any connection to the common of the 850c remote keypad. should this be wired to 0V or 3.3V

Thanks
You are right, I need to update the schematic. The common need to be connected to the GND.

Are you planning to build the display? If so, what are your motivations?

I have all the parts to make this and will be trying over the coming weeks. I'm looking to use a 128x128 1.5" display with 4-bit greyscale, so will have to modify the 3d printed enclosure slightly to fit, and also adapt the code of course.

I'm wondering if I should try and add level shifting between the STM8s motor controller and the NRF52 - I know the NRF isn't 5v tolerant. But then if Casainho's has worked without it might not be needed.

Blacklite said:
I have all the parts to make this and will be trying over the coming weeks. I'm looking to use a 128x128 1.5" display with 4-bit greyscale, so will have to modify the 3d printed enclosure slightly to fit, and also adapt the code of course.

I'm wondering if I should try and add level shifting between the STM8s motor controller and the NRF52 - I know the NRF isn't 5v tolerant. But then if Casainho's has worked without it might not be needed.
The only new thing I want to test is to connect the display Vcc to the 5V instead of 3.3V, as I think it will increase the brightness and that is important for better seeing on outdoors.
I guess the display will keep working well with the 3.3V level logic from the NRF52.

casainho said:
shimrod said:
Hi,

Thanks
You are right, I need to update the schematic. The common need to be connected to the GND.

Are you planning to build the display? If so, what are your motivations?
Thanks for the reply clarifying the remote keypad wiring.

I am planning to build the display and have all the parts on order.
The 8 pin controller connector seems difficult to find and have ordered a Y splitter cord cable since this seems to have the correct connectors. ( In theory EBike technologies hold the connector but they are on holiday for all of December)
I am thinking of modifying the display connections and case so as to plug in the e brake connections there . This may be a step too far we will see.

As for motivation I like fiddling with things like this and find the secondary functions of the normal display with the open source software too complicated to easily use ( no criticism of the software the VLCD5 display just does not have any easy way to display the data)

shimrod said:
The 8 pin controller connector seems difficult to find and have ordered a Y splitter cord cable since this seems to have the correct connectors. ( In theory EBike technologies hold the connector but they are on holiday for all of December)
I am thinking of modifying the display connections and case so as to plug in the e brake connections there . This may be a step too far we will see.
You can adapt for your ideas / needs, sure ;) :) -- as it is DIY, you can not go wrong, and your can always go back if you need, without much trouble.

shimrod said:
As for motivation I like fiddling with things like this and find the secondary functions of the normal display with the open source software too complicated to easily use ( no criticism of the software the VLCD5 display just does not have any easy way to display the data)
Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy the process.
Yes, the VLCD5 is to much limited. I started developing firmware for the KT-LCD3 display (similar to VLCD5) and I felt the same limitations. This OLED 128x64 is not also the best and biggest display available but it is clear a huge improvement over a display like VLCD5.

So, I am using ebikes with TSDZ2 as also a small eletric scooter. I just found another small / micro EV, a micro motorcycle that can be highly customized with bigger motors, battery, tires, suspension, etc and the base version costs like 800€ -- Fiido Q1S. Powerful versions like with 6kW, people are riding at over 70km/h.

Maybe I will reuse this display for such micro motorcycle, maybe some day :)

[youtube]J2G3g4AN30w[/youtube]

casainho said:
shimrod said:
You can adapt for your ideas / needs, sure ;) :) -- as it is DIY, you can not go wrong, and your can always go back if you need, without much trouble.

shimrod said:
Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy the process.
Yes, the VLCD5 is to much limited. I started developing firmware for the KT-LCD3 display (similar to VLCD5) and I felt the same limitations. This OLED 128x64 is not also the best and biggest display available but it is clear a huge improvement over a display like VLCD5.

Hi casainho;
is there any chance that you would port your open source display to the ESP32 (instead of the nRF52840)?
I know, it would than lack the Ant capability, but in my case (and I could imangine also a lot of other people), I am much more familiar with the ESP; it is much cheaper (and more readily available) and I don't need Ant capability (as I don't have any Ant devices)
Other than that: Great Project! (As all your your other ones, which are in itself great, but also are the foundation of many additional great TSDZ & KT projects)

Back