Any Kelly controller experts out there?

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
Just picked up one these controllers. Thought Id try this model out since it was first ever Kelly and it is able to handle over 150V
https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kac-8080i/

Ive read mixed reviews on the KLS model but its too late since I already have it and no choice to use it

I talked to Fanny and I decided to buy a Kelly DC to DC voltage converter that I will run from the same bike battery down to 13V for the secondary isolated power source needed to power it on etc.
I dont have a link to the converter.

I also received these 2 parts in the photo attached and I was also browsing the Kelly website and seen these contactors:
https://kellycontroller.com/product-category/contactors/main-contactors/

Ive never wired a Kelly up before. Are the 2 parts necessary to power up the controller and do I need a main contactor or can I avoid using these parts?
Generally on my other controllers such as my sabvoton, I just connect battery directly to controller power wires, but not sure I can do that here.

Any tips are appreciated, thanks!!

Attachments

• 20211107_211450.jpg
    20211107_211450.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 1,097
You don't need the diodes or the contactors.
Just make sure to precharge the capacitors with the resistor before connecting the battery to the controller.

Iv'e had my battery connected to my controller for over 2 years straight with no issues, I just check the voltage once a while.
I don't know if you really need the DC-DC converter, I've got a 24S 100.8V (Lipo) battery directly connected to pin 7 via a switch.

eee291 said:
You don't need the diodes or the contactors.
Just make sure to precharge the capacitors with the resistor before connecting the battery to the controller.

Iv'e had my battery connected to my controller for over 2 years straight with no issues, I just check the voltage once a while.
I don't know if you really need the DC-DC converter, I've got a 24S 100.8V (Lipo) battery directly connected to pin 7 via a switch.

Thanks a lot for your comment!
I usually dont leave my battery and controller always connected. I prefer just plugging in the power connector of the battery to power connector of the controller each time. I know a switch sounds more practical since im always plugiing and unplugging. But i kinda prefer it.

So I would only have to wire in that green resistor in the pic above?

Im going to use the DC to DC anyway because i need ro run accessories and also use the DC to DC to precharge. Fanny said i wouldnt need a second battery source and just use the converter on tje same batter pack

Back