Shipping used ebikes to Australia - help needed!!

PRW

100 kW
the shipping agent has advised the following (moving from NZ to Australia):

"E-bikes are in most regards treated like a motor vehicle heading in to Australia. If the power output is more than 200w; an import permit is required to get exemption. "

Looking on the Department of Infrastructure website, https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure-transport-vehicles/vehicles/importing-vehicle, there is the option of getting a determination that it is not a road vehicle - but there, "
electrically power-assisted cycle means an electrically-powered pedal cycle with a maximum continued rated power of 250W, of which the output is: (a) progressively reduced as the cycle’s travel speed increases above 6 km/h; and (b) cut off, where: (i) the cycle reaches a speed of 25 km/h; or (ii) the cyclist is not pedaling and the travel speed exceeds 6km/h." - which clearly, my bikes don't comply with.

Has anyone applied for an import permit, and how did you go about it? My alternatives seem to be selling the bikes in NZ; shipping them across as they are (batteries removed and face the risk they will be held until permits sorted out; or pulling them all apart, and shipping components.

thanks!

Seems like they wouldn't have to be very thoroughly disassembled to ship as parts/spares. Batteries in one shipment, wheels in another, and whatever's left surely wouldn't qualify as a vehicle.

Chalo said:
Seems like they wouldn't have to be very thoroughly disassembled to ship as parts/spares. Batteries in one shipment, wheels in another, and whatever's left surely wouldn't qualify as a vehicle.
thanks Chalo - I agree, it is probably the best solution. It would be good to take the bikes apart to oil and refurb them as well

Agree with chalo, simply part the motor, bike and battery seperately. Despite the 200w rule here in most states there isn't a single jurisdiction that has the ability to enforce it. Follow the road rules and no one will ever complain. I've been pulled over by the qld police a number of times, but they just wanted to check the dogs were secure and we were within covid rules (hell, I've even had a copper open his car door to pat the dogs when I have been illegally leading an animal from a vehicle (bike))

Grautuefel said:
Agree with chalo, simply part the motor, bike and battery seperately. Despite the 200w rule here in most states there isn't a single jurisdiction that has the ability to enforce it. Follow the road rules and no one will ever complain. I've been pulled over by the qld police a number of times, but they just wanted to check the dogs were secure and we were within covid rules (hell, I've even had a copper open his car door to pat the dogs when I have been illegally leading an animal from a vehicle (bike))
haha - thanks Grautuefel

Back