Belt or chain two stage reduction

jai134

100 W
What is best, chain or belt, for primary reduction if I choose to have a two stage reduction on my motorcycle. Pros and cons are much appreciated

There's a few threads in this list
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=belt*+chain*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
that should help.

Best practice, I think, is belt first stage and chain second.

Chain is quite noisy at high revs.

jai134 said:
What is best, chain or belt, for primary reduction if I choose to have a two stage reduction on my motorcycle. Pros and cons are much appreciated

I think it depends on the suspension. If you can put the intermediate sprocket on the swingarm pivot, then dual belt is a good way since both belts would retain the set tension.
808BEE8E-E8D0-4BEA-9997-A071552B2BC5.jpeg

Another way is simplify it with single reduction, but that requires either smaller rear tire (like QS Middrive kit), where the motor is mounted to the swingarm as far forward as possible and the rear wheel is 12”-14”, ….
34A7E854-205E-4660-8097-E70FD8933A90.png

…or using a larger diameter outrunner motor that runs slower, driving a big rear wheel. It effectively creates the perfect magnetic first reduction and then you just add the second reduction. He used chain but it can clearly work well with belt since its fixed distance between motor and wheel sprockets.
74C95C10-D873-47E8-9A84-4485CDDFBADD.jpeg

But if you already decided you want an inrunner motor mounted in frame, with a large diameter rear tire, QS does offer geared first stage reduction and this would most likely be chain final drive which can accept the small change in distance between the motor and wheel sprocket as the suspension goes through its range of travel.
23A05A7F-D89B-4187-9787-64533A43011A.png

Ok. I think the best solution for me is to have a first reduction as close to the swing arm pivot as possible. This is easiest achieved by turning the motor 180⁰, have a belt driven shaft parallel to the pivot and the final reduction between the shaft and rear wheel.

jai134 said:
Ok. I think the best solution for me is to have a first reduction as close to the swing arm pivot as possible. This is easiest achieved by turning the motor 180⁰, have a belt driven shaft parallel to the pivot and the final reduction between the shaft and rear wheel.

Yes, and its also possible to run that jackshaft through the swingarm pivot so a belt can be used primary and secondary. I think the Livewire Del Mar uses the motor shaft as the swingarm pivot, but using a large diameter motor so it only needs the single reduction.

You would need access to a machine shop to make the parts. Seems like a lot of work and expense but would be quiet.

No, it's not possible to run it through the swingarm pivot because it will not be possible to have a straight line between rear wheel sprocket and the sprocket at the pivot.

Back