how do energy price rises effect you miles per dollar/pound/euro?

jimmyhackers

10 kW
with energy prices going up. to potentially over 50p per kwh in the uk... :shock:

im just wondering how this is effecting people with evs, bikes and cars etc?

i have a 2kw solar pv setup so it somewhat negates what my ebike uses (my ebike's the only ev in household).

but i can imagine even a larger solar pv setup would fail to keep up with daily ev car use?

i just find this price hikes effects sort of weird....as technically the payback period for solar panels gets reduced...and they become more viable.
but on the other hand the cost effectivenes of an electric car vs combustion seems to of gone out of the window if your charging from the grid.

jimmyhackers said:
with energy prices going up. to potentially over 50p per kwh in the uk... :shock:

im just wondering how this is effecting people with evs, bikes and cars etc?

i have a 2kw solar pv setup so it somewhat negates what my ebike uses (my ebike's the only ev in household).

but i can imagine even a larger solar pv setup would fail to keep up with daily ev car use?

i just find this price hikes effects sort of weird....as technically the payback period for solar panels gets reduced...and they become more viable.
but on the other hand the cost effectivenes of an electric car vs combustion seems to of gone out of the window if your charging from the grid.

The situation is complex, there's no right answer. I'm fortunately (unfortunately?)in the us, where I pay only $0.045 per kwh, so charging my 5kwh motorcycle that I use daily only costs $0.20. Lovely. But my situation wouldn't fly with everyone, if they have a long commute, or need to transfer other people. However, my overall opinion is to use less energy in general, if you can. Even if it was an IC motorcycle, I like the idea to traveling and transporting myself and myself only using a 300pound bike, rather than a 2 ton metal box, regardless of what fuel it uses. Cycling? Public transport? Also good ideas.

Michigan. But as I hopefully made clear, the economic/dollar cost isn't the point. I like to look at it from the physics perspective: energy prices never rise or drop. Energy always costs the same. You have to fire up a generator, or make a solar panel, or spin a wind turbine, and you have to run wires and transformers to get it to where you want it. The economic cost that you pay is only one aspect of its total cost, and it's heavily skewed by history, politicians, tariffs, the stock market.... I'm probably getting too deep. Just ranting about how regardless of where it comes from and how you get it, energy should be conserved at all times.

Edit: Hey sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I originally quoted my energy price from remembered information, from last year. Just checked my recent bill, looks like price/kwh went up a bit for me, but also, distribution fees bring my cost to about $0.08/kwh, Didn't mean to mislead with stupidly low electricity cost. The reason I don't bother to check it much is that my house doesn't use much electricity, about 7-10kwh per day. Even adding my e-moto didn't affect that, because I'm mostly charging that off a couple solar panels, and only giving it a full charge off a wall outlet when I know I have a longer distance to travel.

Yes, i thought you may have the wrong idea on utility elect costs..
Michigan domestic power was $0.16 per kWh in 2021, and unless you have scored some mega deal, ..it is likely more than that now.
Energy itself is effectively free, ..it is the cost of making it available in a convenient form and location, that makes it expensive !
The generation cost is trivial compared to transmission, distribution, and service charges that they load onto the kWh charge.

Hillhater said:
harrisonpatm said:
…….I'm fortunately (unfortunately?)in the us, where I pay only $0.045 per kwh,………….
?? Where is it you live ?
And how do you get elec for $0.045 per kwh !? :shock:
The cheapest i know of is Louisiana @ $0.094 per kWh.
I dunno, it's about that here in Phoenix under the right plan and usage (This year my average
edit fixed descimal palce
winter cost is about $0.114kWh, average summer cost is about $0.154kWh):
https://www.srpnet.com/price-plans/residential-electric/compare-plans
srp.png

Hillhater said:
Michigan domestic power was $0.16 per kWh in 2021, and unless you have scored some mega deal, ..it is likely more than that now.

Not sure about my specific situation and why it is how it is, just that I made the mistake of responding to the post first, and looking up my bill and actual kwh cost after. Still, my point stands at that I believe in reduction of usage being more important that any other factor when it comes to reducing your bill.

oops. no, I typed it out as cents then saw everyone esle was using dollars and screwed up the tuyping (i'm still sick with a bad two week flu and my brain only works randomly)

fixed quote
average winter cost is about $0.114kWh, average summer cost is about $0.154kWh):

Back