The status quo of electric cars: better batteries, same rang

I agree with you on that John. Plus our cars have become much heavier and have alot more demand electrically.

range is not the issue we need to address.

providing ubiquitous charging spots is what we should be focused on.

that would be the best way to use the stimulus money.

building out the charging station network and also the CNG comprssor spots so people can drive CNG powered cars as well. they could be in the same locations, charging and filling side by side.

When the EV1 came out the big talk around my electric vehicle chapter was how the specs were nearly identical to the electric corvair they made some 30 years before. Course the corvair used some crazy expensive batteries compared to the original EV1 but it was odd.
I'd love to see someone put together an old ev with an optimized motor for 25mph with the same battery weight as the original evs. Shouldn't be too hard and at 25 you just need to make it not be a total brick in the air. Here is a pic without the body from that page. Actually looks almost like my old S15 electric pickup if I took the body off but probably a ton lighter.
electriccarchassis.jpg

dnmun said:
range is not the issue we need to address.

providing ubiquitous charging spots is what we should be focused on.

that would be the best way to use the stimulus money.

building out the charging station network and also the CNG comprssor spots so people can drive CNG powered cars as well. they could be in the same locations, charging and filling side by side.

Now that we have a Leaf that can go 100 miles on a charge range is not the issue. When they were popping out EVs that went 20 miles on a charge or 40 miles downhill for a really expensive one on a charge range was a big issue. I used to drive an S10 Blazer converted to electric, not by me it was 4th hand, and with 1500lbs of lead it got me barely to work 18 miles away. I charged all day and unless I was really careful that last hill was a killer that I had to take really slow. Yes it was a bad choice vehicle but with all the crap they are throwing in cars these days it probably isn't much worse off then many modern vehicles people want to drive on the road.

I had a vw rabbit conversion after the previous owner tried to burn it down and a charging station would have been nice at the train station where I parked it for 14+ hours a day. It had well insulated batteries that were heated while at home but that freezing cold weather really hurt the pack on drives home. People loved those little station cars when they had public charging but somehow that fell apart. :(

The model T got mid 20's mpg when it came out too. But it was a Model T..

Only thing holding back electrics is price.. which is dropping. ^_^

They made a Corvair electric?

Here I am - always loved the corvair for me it's a cross between a stingray corvette and the old bat mobile and as a muscle car enthusiast (well at one time, read as shade tree mechanic) I've been toying with the idea of doing a conversion to a gasser 1966 - the stock motor was pulled out long ago and it's been on blocks, no rust (which is amazing as I understand these always rusted out under the sill panel).

So much for being the first - maybe I should stick with what I know and go 1966-69 camaro :)

Batterys for an EV project with fair range and performance aren't cheap - I'm just beginning to price the options and I don't like what I'm finding :(

-Mike

Prototype not production but here is some pics of the GM Electrovair II
http://www.shorey.net/Auto/American...et Electrovair II 4dr Hardtop Concept Car.jpg
Different pics with a little text.
hhttp://www.corvaircorsa.com/monzapr7.html
EVbat.jpg

mwkeefer said:
Batterys for an EV project with fair range and performance aren't cheap - I'm just beginning to price the options and I don't like what I'm finding :(
-Mike
It is a HUGE step up in cost for batteries (and electronics/motor) for a bike or motorbike up to a former gas engined car especially a really heavy one. I will say it is alot cheaper to get alot better stuff now then it was even just 5 years ago when I sold my last Pba Electric vehicle and especially back when I had my first one so so many years ago.

Lock said:
evblazer said:
I'd love to see someone put together an old ev...
Sooo... more like the one on the left?
Well yeah. If they want to compare apples to apples. If you want to go a little more modern take a baker electric with a bad pack and replace it with a similar weighted battery with a modern optimized motor to match the speed the baker could do and run a little test track endurance ride. Maybe test it against a working baker with the original pack, which lasts forever.
Comparing an old wagon that went 20mph with nothing but a steering wheel and accellerator pedal to a modern car with 1500lbs of crap on it that is optimized to go highway speeds is a bit lopsided.

mwkeefer said:
... maybe I should stick with what I know and go 1966-69 camaro :)...

Oooo yeah! The best thing they've done with the Camaro in decades has been to capture what gave those classic models that unique and great look, and mixed in a touch of modern styling for their most recent models. Come on battery prices, so we can have electric Bumble Bees with range, performance, and a good price.

John in CR said:
snath said:
An interesting article from The Oil Drum http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6480 about current EV's range vs. that of EVs of the 1900s. Basically, in spite of many advances, range remains about the same.

It's a ridiculous statement. Look at the source, and what do you expect?

I don't understand your comment.

The Oil Drum is a website about Peak Oil and moving OFF Oil. It's been around for ages.

Back