BMW's All-Electric 40 Ton Truck Picks Off Low-Hanging Fruit

Joseph C.

100 kW
http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-40-ton-electric-truck/36675/

BMW readies 40-ton all-electric truck for deployment on city roads

By Tony Borroz

March 24, 2015

1 Comment
The Terberg Type YT202-EV, 4x2, which BMW will electrify for road use in Munich from mid-2...
The Terberg Type YT202-EV, 4x2, which BMW will electrify for road use in Munich from mid-2015
With its all-electric i3 urban car hitting the road in 2013, BMW is now going bigger – much bigger. The Bavarian automotive giant has just announced that as part of a one-year pilot project, a 40-ton (36-tonne) all-electric drive truck will begin making deliveries on public roads in Munich from mid-year.

In an odd way, trucking companies and truck manufacturers are at the leading edge of environmental technology. Sure, you think of them as the big, slow-moving things holding up traffic, or the conveyance by which your Amazon purchase ends up at your door, but the people that build trucks and the people who use trucks are seemingly just as concerned about fuel efficiency and lowering pollution as your average granola-munching environmental activist.

A person doesn't have to think too long or hard to realize that fuel costs are going to be both a big concern for trucking companies, and also one of the areas where improved efficiency will reap great benefits. This is not a new notion. Navistar rolled out a hybrid drive truck back in 2008, and Fuso has been running a heavy-duty hybrid since 2011, while Coca-Cola has been using 120 Eaton diesel-electric hybrid trucks since 2008. Even Volvo is in on the act, with a diesel-electric hybrid truck that it claims is the world's fastest.

Enter BMW. Although primarily known as a maker of high-performance motorcycles and sedans, BMW is no stranger to the world of environmentally-sensitive hybrid-powered vehicles, having already released its i8 and recently displaying its upcoming X5 xDrive40e hybrid SUV. But what BMW just announced is worlds removed from its normal offerings.

BMW is partnering with a German logistics company, the SCHERM Group, to set up and use a 40-ton all-electric truck this summer, making BMW the first automobile manufacturer in Germany to use an electric semi-truck to transport goods on public roads.

The truck is based on the Terberg Type YT202-EV 4x2, which BMW has licensed for road use so it can be used for just-in-time material transport covering a distance of almost 2 km (approximately 1.2 miles) one-way between SCHERM Group facilities and the BMW Plant in Munich – a trip it is expected to make eight times a day. Sure, that's only 16 clicks a day, but you've got to start somewhere, and this is serious lifting we're talking about, not light package runs.

Thanks to the all-electric drivetrain, the BMW truck is quiet, CO2-free and produces effectively no particle pollution. If you compare that to a normal diesel truck, it's almost laughably good. The new electric truck will generate 11.8 tons (10.7 tonnes) less CO2 per year. That's the amount of CO2 put out by a BMW 320d diesel sedan after three around-the-world trips.

Both BMW and SCHERM are investing a six-figure amount in this one-year pilot project. If the big truck proves itself in everyday driving circumstances, both partners seek to expand the project.

Lorries for airports, ports and internal factory transportation should be easily converted into electric - and then continually push the range boundary as battery density and costs become more favourable.

There's a bit about the Volvo hybrid truck mention in the article in the link below:

http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/volvos-electric-hybrid-as-reliable-as-a-diesel-truck/

The batteries are surprisingly small but the motor looks like a beast :D

Punx0r said:
There's a bit about the Volvo hybrid truck mention in the article in the link below:

http://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/volvos-electric-hybrid-as-reliable-as-a-diesel-truck/

The batteries are surprisingly small but the motor looks like a beast :D

That's looks like a large diesel engine with a small motor tagged on to the left. The batteries are tiny. I'd question the effectiveness of a hybrid system, especially one with batteries that small. All-electric for me. :mrgreen:

Start with the short range applications first and keep increasing driving distance as the technology improves. One or two megawatt/hours should be more than good enough for internal travel in countries such a the UK, Ireland, BENELUX etc. If you could get the total cost of the batteries down to $100 per KW/hr that's about $100,000 to $200,000 for a vehicle with a range of about 400 to 800km. The battery would weigh up to eight tonnes! You would have to make it part of the structure of the tractor unit. You might shave off a few hundred kilos by having a motor instead of an engine.

A few years back, a guy on another forum site was part of a team developing a full electric (no ICE) large mine ore dump truck....the 3-400 tonne capacity type !
I don't know if it ever became a reality, but the tech all seemed to be viable ?

They should make an electric mail delivery truck. Those things stop and start all day and don't cover huge distances. Perfect application for an EV. And there are thousands of them.

AFAICR, USPS in NY has some, (couple dozen? cant' remember) but I dunno if they do anywhere else.

As often as I see the ones around here broken down being towed (usually in summer), and based on the complaints I've heard the few times I've had a chance to talk with a postman, I don't think they have the money to replace them with EVs even if they were available.

Hillhater said:
A few years back, a guy on another forum site was part of a team developing a full electric (no ICE) large mine ore dump truck....the 3-400 tonne capacity type !
I don't know if it ever became a reality, but the tech all seemed to be viable ?

All I could find online with a quick search was a hybrid diesel-electric system. It has 1.7 megawatt motors powered by two diesel generators making it 25 per cent more efficient.

It seems like a really difficult application to have a fully electric system. You'd be talking about a system requiring several megawatts of battery and massive charging currents. It appears to be a much harder problem to solve than electric lorries - which could start to become practical with just two megawatts of battery and a range of 800 km (nine hours driving at 90kph).

Yes, the diesel powered , electric transmission, hub motor, ...drive package is almost the standard for the big ore dumpers, but that team were definitely scoping out for all electric, battery powered system.
I recall that a key part was the opportunity for large amounts of regen as the trucks spend half their time coasting back down the mine roads. also gave huge savings on brake system maintenance .
Note one of the big advantages of the hub motors currently on these trucks is to use regen braking and just dumping the power into huge resistor banks.

Definitely sounds a ripe application for at least a hybrid system, then.

IIRC a lot of those mine trucks run 24/7 so there wouldn't be much opportunity for charging a pure EV version?

I worked at a mine for a couple years and remember driving close to those big trucks in a regular pickup. I felt like an ant waiting to be crushed. There's a huge fan-cooled resistor grid on the side to dissipate braking energy. Looks like an 8 foot tall toaster.

I guess it makes some sense if you get good regen. In an open pit mine, trucks spend all day climbing a hill and going back down it. If even 50% of the energy was recovered going down, it would be a significant fuel savings. The pack really only needs enough energy for one climb to be effective. The big trucks already have electric hub motors so most of the hard part is already done.

Sounds like a job for A123 cells...

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as the likely pack energy required for one uphill climb?

Punx0r said:
Sounds like a job for A123 cells...

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as the likely pack energy required for one uphill climb?

Well the BelAZ 75710 designed by Siemens has four 1.2 megawatt motors but it's two generators only output 3.4 megawatts. But it is a massive monster, even for haul trucks, it can hold over 800 tonnes.

Let's say a journey takes ten minutes and the consumption is three megawatts per hour. Just to make one return journey would require a megawatt hour of battery ignoring regenetative braking.

Ok, so 10min uphill trip at ~3MW = 500kWh.

We know that for a regen system energy recovered on the trip back down would be less than that, hence required battery capacity would be less, but would need to support or 6C charge rate, or be larger to reduce the C-rate.

IIRC A123 AMP20 cells will do 10C charge. But would weigh (500kWh/0.13kWh) 3850kg for bare cells alone and cost ($1/Wh) $500,000 retail.

There again, the truck weighs 360,000kg empty and the diesel engines are probably close to $500k each...

Punx0r said:
Ok, so 10min uphill trip at ~3MW = 500kWh.

We know that for a regen system energy recovered on the trip back down would be less than that, hence required battery capacity would be less, but would need to support or 6C charge rate, or be larger to reduce the C-rate.

IIRC A123 AMP20 cells will do 10C charge. But would weigh (500kWh/0.13kWh) 3850kg for bare cells alone and cost ($1/Wh) $500,000 retail.

There again, the truck weighs 360,000kg empty and the diesel engines are probably close to $500k each...

I see I got the numbers completely wrong. :p

Charging would be the big thing. Strip away the massive generators, and stick in a few megawatts of batteries. The big ones retail at about $5,000,000 another million wouldn't matter that much.

The Fuel Consumption

The fuel figure on Wikipedia is 198 g/kWh per generator. We'll go with the three megawatt figure for convenience and divide it in two for best scenario. 594 kg of diesel are consumed per hour.

According to another article they are refuelled every 12 hours. Let's say they can work up to 22 hours a day. 13,068kg of diesel are burned every day.

The Fuel Costs

A US gallon of diesel costs $2.45 of thereabouts. Knock a best case scenario of 20 per cent off the price for bulk purchases and we'll call it $2 a gallon. That's $8,115 wasted burning diesel every day. Run her 360 day of the year to allow some maintenance and tyre replacements and its now $2,921,465.

Let's say you only run one of the generators and cut the consumption in half that is $1,460,732 In reality the figure would probably be 75 per cent rather than 50 per cent.

Electric Haul Truck Consumption

Now to compare the same charges for electricity but we will try to error towards the worst case. Our all electric requires 66 megawatt hours of electricity per day - which works out at 23.760 gigawatt hours per year. Looking at the wholesale prices the average price per megawatt seems to be between $35 and $50 - that's according to the U.S. Energy Information Agency.

The all-electric haul truck works out at $831,600 at $35 and $1,118,000. A saving of between $300,000 and $600,000 per year.

German Fuel Prices?

I wonder what rates do countries like Germany pay per litre? If you knock 20 per off the price of a litre of diesel in Germany the fuel for the same haul truck above costs $5.523 million and that's treating the euro as being on par with the dollar. Even if you half that figure again that still a lot more than American companies pay.

In Germany electric haul trucks make much better economic returns than in the U.S. Electricity is much cheaper the day ahead base price per megawatt hour is €32.9 for 2014 and the peak was only €36.24. You'd save €4.471 million per year in the best case scenario (if those fuel prices for diesel are correct.)

Our Hypothetical Battery

For the all electric dump truck, assuming 90 per cent efficiency compared to 50 per cent for the diesel generator you would need 18.3 megawatt hours of battery, plus a nice buffer - make it 25 megawatt hours for a like-for-like replacement - 11 hour shift.

That's a battery pack that weighs 192 tonnes if you go with A123, 312 tonnes if you go with lithium titanate and 100 tonnes if you go with Tesla's Panasonic NCA for just the raw cells plus add on another 20 to 30 per cent for the structure to protect them, the BMS and the wiring.

We'll say that A123 could do the battery for $500 per KW/hr that's $12.5 million for the cells for A123, Toshiba could probably do the SCIB for $900 per KW/hr - $22.5 million and Panasonic could probably do the raw cells for $190 (they charge Tesla $160) per KW/hr - $4.66 million. Add another half a million for the wiring, cooling and BMS and you probably get the figure - though you might save that amount by not having the generators.

The Reality of The Electric Task

Fast charging seems to be the key. Irrespective of the chemistry if you could charge them at 2C up to 90 per cent and cut the run time down to every five and a half hours by charging for just 20 minutes the battery weight and costs are dropped in half. If you're going for longevity titanate is the only player but it is so expensive and way too heavy.

Liquid-cooled Panasonic cells are really the only viable option and the next-gen cells would reduce the weight from 50 tonnes to 40 when the 300 watt-hour per kg cells eventually are manufactured.

In terms of cycles with the two shifts a day scenario that's 7,200 partial cycles over a ten year period. Four shifts a day sees that figure jump to 14,400 cycles.

Anyway, I spent far too long on this. :mrgreen:

Edit: Added some structure and highlights to the wall of text.

I like these kind of fag-packet calculations :)

You made the same mistake I did first time round with the fuel usage per hour ;) 198g/kWh x 3000(kW - generator output) = 594kg/hr of fuel. That sounds about right to me. One of our generators at work uses ~60 litres per hour at 200kW. Upscaling to 3MW that's 747kg/hr.

I think there's one problem with a pure EV truck of this size: Most mines are off-grid, their power comes from diesel generators. Which is pretty much what is already fitted to these big dump trucks... There are some mines in the Australian outback that are seriously looking at going solar for their power due to the cost of transporting diesel to site. This could be key to making BEV trucks workable. The weight of the battery for 12hrs running is going to be a big problem though, I think. Especially since the energy density for a rugged pack can be 2/3 or 1/2 that of the bare cells.

I really do think a hybrid system to capture the wasted braking energy is very practical, though and should be fairly easy to implement considering they already have electric drive and regen braking.

Ref the benefits of regen braking systems on these big trucks, ..
I just read that they have as many as 15 rotors, each over 1mtr diameter,..On EACH WHEEL ! :shock:
Maintenance is required monthly
On hell of a lot of brake pads and rotor grinding .

Hillhater said:
Yes, the diesel powered , electric transmission, hub motor, ...drive package is almost the standard for the big ore dumpers, but that team were definitely scoping out for all electric, battery powered system.
I recall that a key part was the opportunity for large amounts of regen as the trucks spend half their time coasting back down the mine roads. also gave huge savings on brake system maintenance .
Note one of the big advantages of the hub motors currently on these trucks is to use regen braking and just dumping the power into huge resistor banks.

Sounds like you are writing about two systems being used concurrently.

Regen braking dumps power back into the battery to use it again for propulsion.

Dynamic braking dumps power into resistors to dissipate it and throw it away as heat.

Punx0r said:
I really do think a hybrid system to capture the wasted braking energy is very practical, though and should be fairly easy to implement considering they already have electric drive and regen braking.

And lo, it did come to pass :lol:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a30873539/electric-mining-truck/

Got to say the other EV that had the record as being the largest was certainly the coolest EV. Never needing to be charged is pretty amazing.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a28748306/worlds-largest-electric-vehicle-dump-truck/

Back