Removing Handgrips

Ykick

1 GW
Spraying any kind of moisture (water, glass cleaner) under grips does wonders to help release them without surprises. Trouble is, getting it (moisture) under the length of the grip.

My solution is bending a long spoke to form a smooth end and use that to work under the grip along with squirts from a spray bottle.

LOL, great story.
I use an air compressor...poke it into the end of the grip...inflates them and they come right off.
...and NO residue on the bars to cause future slippage.

Ultimate cure...switch to "lock-on" grips...much easier maintenance.

Ykick said:
Spraying any kind of moisture (water, glass cleaner) under grips does wonders to help release them without surprises. Trouble is, getting it (moisture) under the length of the grip.

My solution is bending a long spoke to form a smooth end and use that to work under the grip along with squirts from a spray bottle.
Even easier is to shove a spray wand from a WD-40 can under the grip. Give a few quick shots of product as you're pushing the wand under the grip and twist the portion of the grip where the wand has penetrated.

The original poster violated a mechanics' rule; always account for what will happen if the thing receiving force gives way. The more force used, the more precaution.

I use a large 10 ml syringe, dremeled off the sharp end of a large gauge needle and use rubbing alcohol, it works good and dries quickly afterwards, never use oil ( the damn grips won't stay put, dangerous !! )

Air compressor first, if the grips have been cut to install bar end mirrors etc i use the syringe, if crap grips that are not going to be re-used... blade knife !

Leebolectric said:
LOL, great story.
I use an air compressor...poke it into the end of the grip...inflates them and they come right off.

That's what I do as a first resort at the bike shop. Every once in a while, air passes under the grip I'm trying to float off and causes the other grip to fly away.

I wish I worked at a bike shop...instead i'm just the guy with tools and skills, with friends that think a beer will pay for a evening of my frustration.
hehe...it usually works...but getting paid sounds pretty cool too. :p

I usually use a butter knife for rubbery grips to lightly lift the open end (that's over the bar) and then dribble water down in there, then twist the grip and almost always, it just slides right off.

For grips that are too hard for that, I use an ice pick, but it doesnt' do as good a job at lifting surface away, so it takes more twisting to get the water around, and I often have to put it under the grip in multiple places to do it.

When I put new ones on, I use dish soap--slides on easy, then sticks really well once dry. As it hardly ever rains while riding, it doesn't really affect how well they stay on in wet conditions. ;)

(I also use dish soap for the bead of tubeless tires on my cargo dolly; lets them stick to the rim enough to let me use a very small tankless compressor or pump (rather than a big tank of air) to inflate them on the rare occasions they go flat. )

Compressed air’s great until you add mirrcycle mirrors and chop off the ends of your grips.

I often use Hair spray when re-installing. Slips right on, quickly dries and stays in place.

I have a different method:
put a pair of multigrips ( non locking type, very large pliars might also work) on inner side of handgrips over the metal handlebars, you dont squeeze the multigrips very hard onto the handlebar, then get a hammer and bash the multigrips near where the pivot of multigrips is, never had that method fail.

Some grips have no ends on them, or the ends are closed so you can't blow em off without making a hole. But I find the windex trick easy and effective. I pry back the grip some with whatever is in my hand, usually some kind of screwdriver or allen wrench. Getting some windex under half the grip is usually plenty.

FWIW, push off grips. Pushing from the inner end also causes the grip diameter to increase like the air. Pull on the end, and it gets smaller like a Chinese handcuff.

Oil is a shitty idea, WD could even cause the rubber to start to gum up, or at least have a slippery grip that moves for quite some time.

dogman dan said:
Some grips have no ends on them, or the ends are closed so you can't blow em off without making a hole. But I find the windex trick easy and effective. I pry back the grip some with whatever is in my hand, usually some kind of screwdriver or allen wrench. Getting some windex under half the grip is usually plenty.

FWIW, push off grips. Pushing from the inner end also causes the grip diameter to increase like the air. Pull on the end, and it gets smaller like a Chinese handcuff.

Oil is a shitty idea, WD could even cause the rubber to start to gum up, or at least have a slippery grip that moves for quite some time.
True, oil is a bad idea if you intend to re-use the grips. It should go without saying that oil would have to be thoroughly cleaned off the bar before a grip goes back on. I also like hair spray for mounting.

I got fed up and just cut mine off. You can use hairspray when putting them back on.
I like locking grips, but those are expensive!

dogman dan said:
Some grips have no ends on them, or the ends are closed so you can't blow em off without making a hole.

I use a pointed hose barb on the end of the blow gun. By directing the air under the inboard end of the grip, I can usually float any grip on or off, whether it is closed ended or not.

Ahhh, never thought of that. I'd just seen it done with the regular dust off nozzle on the older style grips with the hole in the end. I'd love to see a video of your nozzle and technique.

But as the OP observed, the windex trick works well, and almost everybody has windex, or some kind of soap in a squirt gun in the house.

Cutting them off with a box cutter is definitely what I do with ruined grips, gummy ones, or rock hard sun fried ones. That's generally easiest of all.

dogman dan said:
Ahhh, never thought of that. I'd just seen it done with the regular dust off nozzle on the older style grips with the hole in the end. I'd love to see a video of your nozzle and technique.

But as the OP observed, the windex trick works well, and almost everybody has windex, or some kind of soap in a squirt gun in the house.

Cutting them off with a box cutter is definitely what I do with ruined grips, gummy ones, or rock hard sun fried ones. That's generally easiest of all.

When you mentioned “gummy” I remember a trick I’ve used to salvage more years from $$$ locking grips once the rubber starts getting weird.

Vater drum stick wrap or something similar. Covers a lot of “sin” while feeling great (thin) and looking cool yet holds up remarkably well. Probably similar stuff used for Tennis rackets, baseball bats, etc.

Drummer friend with Vater endorsement deal gave me a few rolls of grey which saved some high end grips suffering from the gummy’s. I like it so much I use it over new fresh grips.

Chalo said:
dogman dan said:
Some grips have no ends on them, or the ends are closed so you can't blow em off without making a hole.

I use a pointed hose barb on the end of the blow gun. By directing the air under the inboard end of the grip, I can usually float any grip on or off, whether it is closed ended or not.

Float hell, at 90PSI they are frockin projectiles capable of taking out a basement window. Ask how I know. Just did an old Schwinn girls bike from 1973. Probably in leaky garage for 20 years. All I had to do is pry up the old plastic enough to get the point of the blow gun under and SLAM, CRACK, CRASH, off in a flash. Been working on my bikes and scooters for 50 years. No need to get anything wet or oily. Easy Peasy.

k2-_41b2f761-312d-4d7c-8941-1bd14fb571bb.v1.jpg

Ykick said:
Compressed air’s great until you add mirrcycle mirrors and chop off the ends of your grips.

I often use Hair spray when re-installing. Slips right on, quickly dries and stays in place.

Still helps, just add some twisting and higher pressure. At least it worked the last time I tried WITH those great Mirrcycle mirrors(best I've ever used)

FYI, not everyone has shop air handy.

Here in NY apt my only air compressor is a small 12VDC roadside automotive unit I use for tires so I’m stuck using wet to rework installed grips.

Ykick said:
FYI, not everyone has shop air handy.

Here in NY apt my only air compressor is a small 12VDC roadside automotive unit I use for tires so I’m stuck using wet to rework installed grips.
i've always had a portable tank compressor, even in my apartment days. I can't imagine how I would have managed without it. The newest pancake take little closet room and make very portable and extremely useful additions to ant mechanical kit. I don't miss shlepping one heavier to the parking lot to work on my 73VW in 1975, but once bitten by air tools, I never looked back. Now the latest one has many uses. Home repair duties as well.

Here's a great deal, and my most current. Hitachi factory reconditioned. $129 grade A, $101 grade C. I have some grade C I bought when they were out of stock on grade A tools. All were perfectly rebuilt, just broken in with scratches from use. Powerful, portable and cheap.
Big Sky Tools.

But hardly practical for just removing hand grips. But for those with other uses this is a steal.
https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-ec89-hitachi-4-gallon-portable-electric-twin-stack-air-compressor-grade-c-reconditioned.html

Back