Master a perfect inline wire splice

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
... everytime
Seen on site "Instructables":
http://www.instructables.com/id/Master-a-perfect-inline-wire-splice-everytime/

FCQWR1FFRXUSAGH.MEDIUM.jpg

(Currently "618,231 views, 441 favorites")

Well sure, way easy with wire that small. Not so easy with 10g wire on a hobby king pack. That's why I went to those crimp sleeves. Not automotive butt connectors, the crimp sleeves for house wiring.

Hehe... Wasn't thinking main power cables, but at least for those "house" wiring thingees. Those electric bits running off a DC-DC converters etc. using lower power (and smaller wires). :)

Not the quickest way, but for large wires you can mesh the two ends together then bind it with a single strand of thin wire before soldering.

@PunxOr +1 that method

10 AWG High Strand Silicone Butt Splice.

This is my method for multistrand.

splice.gif

For solid core the good ole' Western Union splice, hundred years old and adopted into the NASA builders book as the preferred method !

nasasplice.jpg

for most 12g or smaller things i just pre-solder 1/4" worth of wire end, line them up side by side and re-melt the solder for a second.. you end up with a much tidier splice and less of a stiff section. has never let me down. ( specially when soldering up hub motor cable with 3 thick and 5 thin wires into a small heat shrink length )

However you splice it, I would definitely recommend offsettingg every splice point from every other so that when all the wires overlap, noen of h te splice points are next to each other. This prevents shorts if you mess up insulating them, and makes the bundle not a giante lump in one place. :)

dogman dan said:
Well sure, way easy with wire that small. Not so easy with 10g wire on a hobby king pack. That's why I went to those crimp sleeves. Not automotive butt connectors, the crimp sleeves for house wiring.

Like this?
https://www.electriciantalk.com/f29/crimp-sleeves-195537/

Back