Chain for LR Big Block final

pkirkll

100 W
I broke my chain yesterday and being the non-afficiando and depending on a lot of you for quick assistance i decided to smother my pride and ask:

Is any chain OK for the drive chain to my Roholoff?--- I have the LunaTic that Mike built with the Rohloff hub. I think I have a 1/8 chain driving this. I must have an old email for Mike and cant touch base with him. (If you happen to read this Mike please send me a new address)

When i broke the chain i lost a few links and dont have the room to re-join it---

I will go to my LBL (if open) and or Walmart to look for a vanilla 1/8 chain---if any of you know a blatantly obvious reason i should not use a Wal Mart chain, please chime in.

Thanks---AND i did do a search for chain before i posted, but as you can imagine i got a million hits.

rsz_wazia_tires_mounted.jpg

I have 1/8" chain on mine too, you should get a spare to carry with you too as a broken chain is a walk home, do you have a chain breaker tool to make it the right length?

Thanks for the reply Marin!!

I got a chain tool yesterday and i have a little spare chain left over from my purchase today.

I will go back and get another.

One issue i have with the Rohloff is i cant get the wheel off without first breaking the chain. I guess it only matters if i cut it down and have to install a tube for the ride home.

It has do do with the way the Rohloff external shifter had to be mounted in order to get the disc brakes on.... i think i see a way to mod it with a simple piece of L-shaped flat metal--- that would increase the distance from the axle to the front of the swing arm so i have enough slack to get the chain out when I take it off the sprockets.

i am enjoying learning more about the bike--- I havent had much time to mess with it since I got it and this is good to see how things relate to each other on it.

The new tires from Tim Kreuger look really good. Terrene Wazia, they also have a couple more sizes for MTBs.

Do you have a picture of your bike you can put up Marin??? And how are you liking it? thx,
paul

Glad it's working for you.
You can use a master link with these chains so you don't need a tool to remove them.
Also you can use your chain tool to push the pin out but not all the way, leave it in the outer chain plate then use the tool to push it back in. It take a bit to get the hang of it but works well. If the link is stiff when the push the pin back in work it with your hands a bit to loosen it.

My bike has been sitting unfinished for a bit while I've been doing other stuff.
a756c57e627b81332bee38abc9de1e5c.jpg

I hope get back to it in march.

It has a SA 3 speed 170mm rear hub now.

Wow, 3 banger....

Have you got on it yet to see if it could stand the pressure?

How is your fork ? What kind? I'm thinking of going to one... When I go down in a wash and bottom out the front end....itis a little rough....so I have to lower my speed which means I have to slam it to go up the other side...I lose my momentum having to be slow in the bottom is what I am trying to say.

Looks clean....Nice.. Keep me posted in March.

Hello everyone,
I had a problem with my external shifter on the roloffs Hub spinning out on me last trip. I took the wheel off and looked at the dropouts I'm surprised to see the left drop out that looked as if it has spread open.

I will post pictures....

I am trying to figure out what made it spread like a raptor's mouth. :shock: .. Or are left side dropouts like that??
I can squeeze it back to the size of the other side with a pair of vice grips... But of course, I don't think it would stay like that once I am riding.

Mulling this one over...any helpful ideas are appreciated.
I have my rohloff trap re-figured..so I think I have a way to trap it without using the disc brake mount.

Having fun!!
This is the way I learn about things..tear them up and put the back together :p

2017-02-09 15.32.22.jpg

Back