Is lidar the best sensor for autonomous driving cars?

If we can have very good autonomous driving, we can reduce insurance costs by 10 times if there are 10 times less collisions. Isn't Lidar is a blunt instrument to use for autonomous cars? The billions of dollars of investment in lidar are not expected to bring hands free commuting in any know timeframe.

Radios can transmit displacement vectors, velocity, inertia, proximity, chassis limits, sudden braking, abs status and wheel turns of nearby cars, both to a dashboard radar display and to the car safety calibration system and auto nav system. Why use lidar?

It would make sense to have a $50 radio transmitter in every car as a sensor for the car computers, rather than a $200 lidar, because it would reduce collisions by 90%.

https://technorattuf.blogspot.com/2018/11/recal-radio-vision-autonomous-cars.html

Have often wondered on this autonomous driving who is liable if it crash's and say go's off piste and takes out lets say a bus stop kills 4-5 people is it still you that will cop the flack in the eyes of the law

zzoing said:
If we can have very good autonomous driving, we can reduce insurance costs by 10 times if there are 10 times less collisions. .....
Even since i was 16, my insurance brokers has been telling me that car insurance gets cheaper as you get older and into car groups with better safety records....
...after 50 years,...that has never happenned !
Insurance got more expensive every year , no matter what car i drive.
Its called..."Marketing" ... Never believe an insurance salesman.

zzoing said:
Is lidar the best sensor for autonomous driving cars?
It's pretty good. Ranging solutions around that frequency range (i.e. millimeter wave, IR) work fairly well. There are some slight differences in weather penetration.
Have often wondered on this autonomous driving who is liable
The driver is always liable. Even today, with the auto-braking systems, it is not considered a valid defense to say "the car didn't stop for me!"

Back