Go Kart Top Speed calculus

garolittle

10 kW
I am getting different numbers when I run the following top speed calculation. Can you help? Assume the following.

Go Kart weight with batteries, motor drive system and driver: 400 pounds total weight.
Rear Wheels: 6 inch diameter (Rear Tires are Maxxis “Pink” with a 12” diameter)

Motor: AC-9 48V
Controller: 48V 600A Curtis 1236SE-5621

Running 600 amps (max) on level payment in 70 degrees Fahrenheit, what do you think my top speed would be with a sprocket ratio of 4-to-1. Thanks.

Why do you want an estimate in advance, when you can simply assemble the pieces and take a measurement? It's not like there's a threshold between passing and failing with something whose sole purpose is fooling around.

garolittle said:
I am getting different numbers when I run the following top speed calculation.
Without knowing what formulas you are using, and all of the input numbers, we can't tell you why you are getting different numbers or which might be more accurate.

If you are using a single formula and set of numbers, yet getting different results each time, I don't know what to tell you.

Chalo said:
Why do you want an estimate in advance, when you can simply assemble the pieces and take a measurement? ....

Thanks. Have not purchased motor drive kit yet. Trying to decide between AC-9 and other options. Just wanted to get a baseline estimate of speed assuming use of the AC-9 first.

garolittle said:
Chalo said:
Why do you want an estimate in advance, when you can simply assemble the pieces and take a measurement? ....

Thanks. Have not purchased motor drive kit yet. Trying to decide between AC-9 and other options. Just wanted to get a baseline estimate of speed assuming use of the AC-9 first.

I see. It's a well-understood motor. Seem like rather than picking a reduction and then looking for a motor, the more usual way is to find a motor with the performance/weight/efficiency level you want and then choose the reduction ratio, or even work it out by trial and error.

Back