Sevcon gen4 with motenergy motor for a sawmill. Solid green no spin

Nived

1 µW
This seems to be the place for sevcon help and I could use some!

I've built a portable sawmill with a motenergy ME1012 and a sevcon gen4. Problem is I can't get the motor to spin... when I turn on the ignition the contactor closes and I get a solid green light on the sevcon. I switch to forward and rotate a 5k pot but nothing happens...

Please help

Hi Bernel, unfortunately I cannot afford to purchase the IXXAT and DVT software.

I was able to get the motor to spin slowly yesterday. I had not properly grounded the foot switch...

I noticed the battery voltage drop quite fast so I will add in more packs to keep up with the draw. Or maybe my 5k pot does not work properly for throttle signal?

Nived said:
Hi Bernel, unfortunately I cannot afford to purchase the IXXAT and DVT software.

See if you can rent one. I knew a place that offered such service, but looks like they closed shop now. Might be worth to look around for others.

That sounds like a refreshing use of ev parts and you should post pictures. But, if you can't get the software and the setup isn't blessed by someone who can you probably picked the wrong controller.

flat tire said:
That sounds like a refreshing use of ev parts and you should post pictures. But, if you can't get the software and the setup isn't blessed by someone who can you probably picked the wrong controller.

At this point I do regret buying a sevcon... I was not aware when purchasing the controller that the software and dongle would cost more than the controller

I've attached a picture of the sawmill. Hope to be cutting lumber this summer!
Resized_20190310_193917.jpeg

Awesome project 👍. I can't offer much help with the sevcon, except maybe to contact frodus if he's still able to help out hobbyists on a non commercial basis. Otherwise, something like a golf cart controller might be a better match? Please update as you go, I think a battery powered sawmill is a really cool idea

Back