75-7 motor

Pity I have no more of them to give. They are such a fantastic and efficient beast of a motor, and we know Zero makes and sells a ton of bikes, and people wreck motorcycles as a fact of life, and they often get motors controllers and batteries parted out of them. Parts should be available if you keep hunting around.

liveforphysics said:
Pity I have no more of them to give. They are such a fantastic and efficient beast of a motor, and we know Zero makes and sells a ton of bikes, and people wreck motorcycles as a fact of life, and they often get motors controllers and batteries parted out of them. Parts should be available if you keep hunting around.

Hi...yes I agree.
Do you know which particular Zero bike(s) that motor was from? Thx

liveforphysics said:

And if I could ask- what ARE the different motors Zero makes? I thought they maybe only made two, but I'll admit I never did a deep dive.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
liveforphysics said:

And if I could ask- what ARE the different motors Zero makes? I thought they maybe only made two, but I'll admit I never did a deep dive.

As of now there are only 3 different motors, 75-5, 75-7 and 75-10. Not sure if they still make a 75-7R?
They are all IPM motors.

Before it was:
75-5, 75-7, 75-7R of which all three came in SPM and IPM configurations. I believe the SPM to IPM switch over was 2016?

The "R" motor just has magnets that can handle higher temps. The 75-5 and 75-7 are identical other than one being slightly wider than the other.

If I remember correctly the newer IPM motors produce more torque and a little better at heat management.

If you want to go even further back there was a 75-7 designed to be used with the old lower voltage bikes of 66V or something.

Also every year or two they received some update but it was something minor like shaft design and phase cable length and cable colour.

So essentially you have two bases, SPM or IPM. Then you have three sizes 5, 7 and 10. And the R for high temp magnets :mrgreen:

ebike11 said:
Looking for one of these..are there any still around??

Are you in Europe?

I have a 75-7 SPM I might be able to sell. Though it did have the angle grinder taken to it to remove some fins to fit in a previous project. Not much, about 10cm by 3cm and only a few mm's deep.

I'm in the UK so don't think it's worth selling to an NA buyer considering postage and import tax.

Great job on defining the Zero motor varieties. One thing you forgot C70R, is the 75-10 motor has a substantially improved thermal pathway from the windings to the housing through a thermally conductive stator potting. It also has a more effective heatsink, but at the cost of larger packaging radius.

If it's useful, I think I have a Sevcon from a Zero that used one of the 75 motors, though I don't know which one (never had the motor). I may also have the main connector/wiring harness (not the battery/phase wires, just the big rectangular connector).

(I don't have any of the programming stuff for it. While it should work with whichever motor it was previously setup for, assuming all control signals to it are setup correctly like they were on the Zero it likely came from, you'd need the programming hardware and software (that I don't have) to make it work with anything else or in any other way. )

Great job on defining the Zero motor varieties. One thing you forgot C70R, is the 75-10 motor has a substantially improved thermal pathway from the windings to the housing through a thermally conductive stator potting. It also has a more effective heatsink, but at the cost of larger packaging radius.
I know this is a old post, but you seem to have abundance of knowledge. I have a 75-10 and SME controller from a zero srs. The sme doesn’t have a k3 plug for programming. I want to run this setup in a conversion. I do have an extra g4s6 sevcon. Do you know any one who could program the sevcon or setup/program a new sme to the 75-10. I can buy the sme that is parried to hyper 9.

Back