Mac motor parts needed

Phasedout

10 mW
Hi all,
Does anyone have any older style Mac parts? I have 2 bare motors, gears, etc, but no hub or brakeside covers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To Mac owners, the broken hub was a result of spoke over tightening. It split at the joint, bent covers. This was using 13/14g butted spokes, and JRH nipples for a 19" moto rim.

The second motor was used,"in perfect condition". I had to replace the halls, and wiring, and added a temp sensor, and new clutch,gears, etc. Of course, there are stripped bolt holes on both the cover, and, the disc mount. The holes for the covers had already been relocated, redrilled, and tapped, once before. Buy used carefully, and go easy on those little cover screws especially.

There must be a few broken Mac's out there. No?

It would cost a lot to ship a MAC motor, cheaper to ship the used parts if the seller is willing to get less money and piece the motor out. Best to buy a direct drive motor where the only things you have to change out are cover plate bearings if need be after 5-10 years.

What power levels do you want?

Phasedout said:
Hi all,
Does anyone have any older style Mac parts? I have 2 bare motors, gears, etc, but no hub or brakeside covers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To Mac owners, the broken hub was a result of spoke over tightening. It split at the joint, bent covers. This was using 13/14g butted spokes, and JRH nipples for a 19" moto rim.

The second motor was used,"in perfect condition". I had to replace the halls, and wiring, and added a temp sensor, and new clutch,gears, etc. Of course, there are stripped bolt holes on both the cover, and, the disc mount. The holes for the covers had already been relocated, redrilled, and tapped, once before. Buy used carefully, and go easy on those little cover screws especially.

There must be a few broken Mac's out there. No?

I only need sidecovers, and the bare shell with magnets. These motors are in excellent shape, new clutches,gears,halls,temp sensors,wiring,washers,keys, and axle nuts.

Shipping shouldn't cost much for 5lbs of stuff. Certainly less than a direct drive motor+ shipping.
Besides which, I have 4 other motors, 3 of which are dd. I need the Mac's for the mid drive on my recumbent, so even a shell with busted spoke flanges could work.

I have thousands of miles on this set up, with oil cooling, and temp monitoring, it has been absolutely trouble free with a 35a controller. Human error has been the downfall of the motors here. LoL

I also have a new 9c 2705 on the front, so the Mac is only for lending a hand when needed, or slow stuff. With over 300lbs to haul, it's.necessary. I just need a few parts! Lol

Phasedout said:
I only need sidecovers, and the bare shell with magnets.
Do you mean the spoke flange part of the "shell", the outside housing itself that the covers bolt to?

If so, the MAC (being a geared hub) doesn't have the (motor) magnets on that--those are on the bell housing (rotor) around the stator.

Just to clarify for anyone that mgiht have parts you could use. :)

Oops, was looking at my 3540 while writing. Yes just the shell is what I need, thanks for catching that AW.

It seems spoke tension didn't split the hub, it "only" broke the spoke flanges. The hub was split because of misaligned sidecovers. It had one hole a little off, and when forced it split the shell. same guy who stripped the bolt holes apparently. Sigh.

I do have cassette version motor shell with 26" rim in mint condition. Location: Lithuania. Rim can be separated if not needed.
Fixed clutch with gears also available.

What would you ask for the shell without the rim? Its for a midrive, so I don't need the rim. Thanks for responding!

Back