Oval Rubber Grommets

tmort

10 W
Have an older out of business ebike frame where the wires were run partially through the frame. They entered and exited through some oval rubber grommets. The dimensions of the opening in the frame are about: 4.5-5.0mm (~0.18") x 31.2mm (1-1/4") x 19.9mm (3/4").

The frame is from and e-moto ridge 4.5 frame. It is a step through frame with a silverfish battery holder on the seatpost. I see pictures of many pretty similar frames. I know routing wires and cables through frames is fairly common these days.

I found some oval grommets as general hardware, but none this size or really this small.

Does anyone have any or have any ideas where to look?

Thanks

Try this?
Oval Rubber Grommet

Or figure out circumference and try bending a round grommet into a oval shape.

Lots of grommets here:
https://www.mcmaster.com/grommets/

Or forget the grommet and protect the wires from sharp metal with something like this?
https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-protection-sleeving/

I guess I could try using a round one and seeing if it will work. The existing ones are oval. All the grommets I've found online have all been too big, including the MC side panel ones. The expanding sleeve sounds interesting. I've used it simply as a sleeve before and like it. The sleeving could also be useful in fishing the wires through as well. It would serve as conduit.

I did find a few places with some frame tube grommets for wire or cable, but they were all different and I couldn't find any dimensions that they fit into either. I would think the manufacturer would have used some sort of off the shelf grommet to begin with though. Then again, I only need a couple, they would have bought in a much larger quantity. So it could have been a custom size from some third party supplier.

Where is the original oval grommet? Did it get scared and go into frame? Shake the frame and see if it's in there? Go grommet fishing with a coat hanger or other wire bent to a hook shape.

Another idea?
https://www.mcmaster.com/edge-protectors/
Flexible rubber might bend around oval shape? Glue would help.

Sometimes when I am hunting for something. I spend weeks looking at pictures on the internet. Try this?
oval rubber grommet bicycle frame

Do you have a old deteriorated oval rubber grommet from your frame? Take a picture of your grommet next to a ruler as a service to all the other oval rubber grommet hunters.

The original grommets are still there, being rubber though they rot and are sort of falling apart.

Attached are a couple pictures

As I mentioned earlier the opening size 31.2mm (1-1/4") Long x 19.9mm (3/4") wide x 4.5-5.0mm (~0.18") frame thickness

I used the word oval, I've since learned the correct term is oblong. I still have only found larger sizes than this.

I also sent a message in the contact us form of one manufacturer. They had no listing, but maybe they'll have some ideas who might or where to look.PXL_20220620_164840464 (1).jpgPXL_20220620_164854066 (1).jpg

You could make a grommet yourself. Rubber tubing cut to length then slit down the side. Stuff it in around the cables and wires in a U shape fashion. Won’t look as good as stock but it will serve the purpose.

Back