LG Chem P1~15Ah ~1.2mOh ~10C+ High Power PHEV Cells~10$ Ea.

DogDipstick

100 kW
LG CHEM ~10C ~15 Ah cells available. Located in Fleetwood, Pa. Salvaged from the Chevrolet Volt.

10$ ea. Tested, IR, clean, capacity, photo. Very low IR. Best price you will find. Guaranteed free replacement if customer is not satisfied. I can do that, I have the buying power, suppliers, and stand by my work. 100% Feedback.

Many available. 100+

Inquire within. Full built batteries, lipo packs.... also available. Time and material is typically how I estimate the cost of a build. I have references ( peers here, and other places) that would vouch for my integrity as a builder/seller. I also have an eBay store for feedback inquiry.

I will update this thread with more specifics. Be free to leave comment or inquiry. I will also be posting true torture tests, of these cells.

Note : This cell is VERY powerful, and you ( buyer ) must USE AT YOUR OWN risk. Made to be a safer cell in production, the current availability of this cell is int he THOUSANDS of amps. Very safe, but not for beginning builder or those not well versed in Lipo care and handling. I will NOT cater to a novice, or awnser a million questions such as " How do I charge them?" or " Do I need a BMS?". If you wish to buy these cells, you already know what they are, and know how to use them with respect. I cannot cater to everyone's questions, the answers can be found here on the forum. These cells laugh at the 10Kw + of a powerful ebike... and last for years.

Chevrolet Volt Lipo cell. LGXP1.jpg

The Volt cell (LGX P1 and other revisions) is a 383g high power ( not high energy density ) PHEV cell of 150Wh/Kg and 300 Wh/L. They were ( are ) rated at over 10C continuous duty, with temperature increase beginning at 4C.

Cathode.... is mixed spinel LiMn2O4 (LMO) and layered LiNi1/3Mn1/3Co1/3O2 (NMC). They have a mixed graphite and amorphous carbon Anode...They are very advanced, mature, and well known cell design and form factor. Internal resistance of 1.75mOh in the first revisions to 1mOh in the later revisions.

NASA was studding them 10+ years ago. They were more expensive than the others at the time and throughout production. They were safer. they were extensively tested by the NHTSA, pre-production of the Volt. EV West has offered this very cell for the buyers of their high power EV packages.. for 3x the price.

PHEV cells, which these are, are power cells. Which means their engineering emphasis lies on delivering high power instead of having a big wh per kg/energy ratio. This is because in PHEV the batterypack is relatively small compared to full electric vehicles but it still needs high power delivery capability to propel the mass of the car. These LG Chem cells are about 150 Wh/Kg. In contrast modern Tesla Model S cells (NCA) are energy cells with 250 Wh / Kg. This doesn't mean they are better, but they are different. Those Tesla cells don't offer very high C rating for example but rely on the packs cell masses for the super high ludicrous 1500 A current delivery.

In the Volt cells, is the separator material, and a less volatile and more tolerant electrolyte solution that doesn't settle or migrate with temp swings (part of why they are more expensive). The maximum temperature before venting is 160*C. They also were pushing self-healing ... so the electrolyte will recombine under some conditions minimizing swelling. The goal was 5000+ cycles for production, and the cells were warranted for 8 years or 80K mile.

The MSDS is available ( for shipping)... but the full datasheet is hard to find. NDA must be signed and you must be a representative for LG. You have to be an authorized integrator for them to share with you, paired with a stack of NDAs. Similar, but not the exact. The MSDS states the cell is not combustible. The same cells are also used for example in Opel Ampera/Xolvo/Renault Zoe packs of the era.

• -Jp, Beckersville Steam Engineering Co., Inc.

More For sale items soon to be listed. Ty for the consideration.
VoltP1.jpgVolt P.jpg

Ok Dog what size are these cells ? Did I miss something ? I like large format cell 15ah minimum. Less cells less connections ez monitoring. Automotive grade.

999zip999 said:
Ok Dog what size are these cells ? Did I miss something ? I like large format cell 15ah minimum. Less cells less connections ez monitoring. Automotive grade.

Yes, Zip, they are impressive. They balance neatly and are very well behaved powerful cells. The only downside, is the bulkiness. I have used them exclusively on both my e-bikes for about two years now. Over 8Kw peaks. No datalogged change in IR or capacity over two years of abuse. I get the same datalog, that I got when I first installed the cells on my bike, when I log the pack ( monthly, ) for record. I am not the only person (ebiker) who has had excellent results with these cells. Never even had an anomaly requiring action. Just charge and go.

The dimensions are:

9.5" ( w/ tab, tab is 0.5", pouch case is 9" )
x
6.5" (can fold up the edges and tape them down, a gain of 0.625"... for an absolute total minimum width of 5.875")
x
0.25" ( shy, more like 0.225")

I will update this post with dimensional photos.

amberwolf said:
Do you still have them in modules?

Yes. I have a couple here. However, I began chopping up and testing cells about a month ago, so... 3/4 of the cells I have are already salvaged, logged, and labeled for individual sale.

I have two, 1Kwh blocks, in the OEM module form factor. They are 18 cells each, 6s, 3p. I also have at least one, 2kwh block, 12s, 3p, 36 cell. I also have the module laminated cases, plastic rectangle holders with coolant passages on the side, that could be adapted to a case of sorts. You could cut the coolant passages off and have a plastic hollow rectangle, the appropriate size and shape.... Also have the cooling plates, if anyone is interested. The (1kwh) blocks are very well made, light, and protected on both sides by a steel plate in the OEM installation. No corrosion, you can see the cells inside, and the integrity, and all the coolant has been washed out of the system.

I would consider selling a whole module if you are willing to pay shipping, but it would be near the cost of a typical module on eBay ( not tested nor data-logged on a Powerlab, though, like I do. ) with no guarantee nor any real empirical data logged. Shipping modules get expensive. Thats why I can do this, buy in bulk and ship freight, so I can chop them up cost effectively. Ground shipping a small package is much more cost effective than a pallet, unless you are buying +600lbs or more at a time. I can post pictures of the modules.

What is the actual CC tested capacity compared to their original rating?

All from the same vehicle?

If so, any idea of the mileage on the donor vehicle?

john61ct said:
What is the actual CC tested capacity compared to their original rating? I will post 1C empirical Constant Current datalogs of the capacity test. The modules are rated as "2kwh" or "1Kwh" but usually hold a little more. This means (3) 15 Ah cells. They yield 55 Wh @ 1C.

All from the same vehicle? No. However, I will make it a point that all the cells that a buyer would receive will be in sequence serial, just how they came out of the car. All from the same module, same age, sequential, same throughput and history. I have a few.

If so, any idea of the mileage on the donor vehicle?

No. This data is unavailable. I know the year( from the Julian date on the module), and that the car(s) was (were) in an accident, totaled. I buy from highest biddr auctions. Good condition, but some of the modules were lost and puffed. This is what happens: then the salvage resellers cannot reuse the module in a car repair, nor sell it with any warranty. If I had that data I would have to charge incrementally more, or less, based on the info. That said, you would be hard pressed to find a similar price: for I know the going price of these modules, and when you buy from random resellers, you rarely get an accurate IR or any data out of the cell pre-purchase. This is what I hope to be chosen, over another supplier for. My labor and diligence in proving ( w/ guarantee) the cell, along with the price. You are welcome to do the same thing I do, if you think it could be cost efficient and you would receive a good module. However, history record is rare, and dont buy a module that has been sitting in coolant, or opened. The Dexcool is corrosive to the cells. Any sign of corrosion is a rejected cell. This car was recently wrecked, based on the condition of the module, and the suppliers knowlege. They get them in all the time.. and alot of the time you have 0v cells. 0v cells are worthless and unrecoverable, trashes the whole module. This ( these) module(s) is clean, very clean. One of the things I look for ( physical condition), before I take the risk and buy.

If you are already willing to cut these apart anyway would you be able to make and sell custom configurations?

For example, my ideal battery for an electric motorcycle would be 20s 3p of these cells. Since you are already splitting the 3p groups apart could you build a 20s 3P pack in the factory form factor using factory plastic holders and separators?

Obviously Your time would cost something, I'm just wondering if you are even willing to mess with this level of custom.

Same question for pack builds using them as individual "1p" cells now that you have them cut apart.

Thanks

DanGT86 said:
If you are already willing to cut these apart anyway would you be able to make and sell custom configurations?

For example, my ideal battery for an electric motorcycle would be 20s 3p of these cells. Since you are already splitting the 3p groups apart could you build a 20s 3P pack in the factory form factor using factory plastic holders and separators?

Obviously Your time would cost something, I'm just wondering if you are even willing to mess with this level of custom.

Same question for pack builds using them as individual "1p" cells now that you have them cut apart.

Thanks

Yes, I do. I am currently doing a 20s 30Ah 2p battery for a 250A contin scooter. I have built 2s,3s,4s,5s,6s, 12s, 14s 20s, 24s, and have plans for a 32s pack. Yes, you would be able to cut the "3p" arraignment as welded out of the enclosure, as is, and you wouldnt be able to test all three cells individually, you could test them as a 3 p set. I would honestly rather cut them all apart and test individually, then rivet them back together, but with enough dremel blades you can remove as welded.

Yes, the laminated enclosures would do that. I will post some pictures of the assy, and the case do snap together.. it is just the top that is complicated black plastic injection molding.. but that is mostly attached to the buss series connections.

I will certainly post a pic of the holders and the minimum size I think they would be, if you cut the cooling channels off them. Channels will come off easy once removed, on a chop saw. They are FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic). Buyer can have them for free if they wish. I usually build convenient hobby chargeable OVERsize lipos ( 4,5,6s) with connectors that are easily serial connected, and balance taps out for hobby charging. Like a Multistar but a little bigger, longer lasting, lower IR. I have used a Cheap Chinese BmS thought before and that works well too.

Yes I have, built large high power lipos, and yes I can do it quite cheaply compared to HK prices, watt hour for watt hour. Here are some examples of what I have done, and the enclosure that the OEM cell comes in.

Top picture is about 750 Watt hours. Bottom pic is the calibration phase of a K-Weldor, and the SSC of ~1700A ( on par with HK Graphene Panther cells... Most powerful HK cells they have.. )... Depending on the size of the job, the labor rate changes. Usually about 15$/hr and 2 1/2 hours per large 6s batt. Small jobs are marginally more expensive, and larger jobs I can streamline and work faster... T & M. About 5-10$ in copper tape and rivets. I use busses that can easily handle 600+ A.

Attachments

• BATT20.jpg
    BATT20.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4,370
  • Shrink2.JPG
    Shrink2.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 4,369
  • Art4.jpg
    Art4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 4,368
  • 1678A.jpg
    1678A.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 4,367
Are you still making packs from these?
I'm looking for 72v 20ah? Depending on size I can stuff in my vespa.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104268

vdubjim said:
Are you still making packs from these?
I'm looking for 72v 20ah? Depending on size I can stuff in my vespa.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104268

Yes absolutely. I am wrapping up a 30Ah pack right now for a scooter. I have a couple planned, that I am working aon, a 52v and another 72:, but... after that no plans as of now. Anything built with these would have to be a multiple of 15Ah. I can talk about turnkey packages in pm if you like. I will post more pics here in a few days time. I have been investing some time and money in making these things stronger.

A little update. I want to say, Thank everyone for the interests. It honestly is hard to keep up.

I will get back to many of you as I can today, and tomorrow, to give you an idea as to what I can do for you.

It has been a very busy summer for me. I do not have many cells left. Most are sold, or reserved for building.

I can acquire more.

Here is a look at a 20s, 72v nominal, 30Ah 2.5Kwh banded pack that I recently built for a customer. I look forward to delivering this pack soon, boxed and ready to go.

It is split into two 30Ah, 10s (20 cell) packs for convenience, and the discharge leads are 6Ga.

Attachments

• 30Ah0.PNG
    30Ah0.PNG
    106.4 KB · Views: 3,358
  • 30Ah1.PNG
    30Ah1.PNG
    119.6 KB · Views: 3,356
  • 30Ah6.jpg
    30Ah6.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 3,357
  • 30Ah7.jpg
    30Ah7.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 3,357
  • 30Ah7.5.jpg
    30Ah7.5.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 3,358
  • 30Ah8.jpg
    30Ah8.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 3,358
  • 30Ah9.jpg
    30Ah9.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 3,357
  • 30Ah10.jpg
    30Ah10.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3,357
  • 30Ah11.jpg
    30Ah11.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 3,357
Rburpee said:
Do you still have the lgx p1 cells

Send me a Pm, please. I have been building many batteries. I may have some bare cells available. I have plans to acquire more. I currently have , used, circa year 2013, 14Ah, and circa year 2019, 25Ah cells available for purchase. I do have a list of builds in the planning phase also.

Thankyou for the interest.

I like a big ah cell ez to monitor and ez to repair. And get a spare cell
Cheap. Plus it can take amps.So no worry of going out of balance for ebike purpose.

Good afternoon! I'm looking for such elements for a Ford Focus. If it's not difficult to find out the cost of such elements in the amount of 40 pieces with delivery to Ukraine. My mail is abstraxionist@gmail.com Thank you!

Back