GIANT Full E+ 2014 mid-drive mtb ebike

efMX,
very good point.
There are such big differences in mechanical design of BOSH , Yamaha drives and Bafang.
Bafang's has exposed close to the ground motor.
As you said what would happen if Bafang is hit by rock or log??
Looks like BOSH and Yamaha and other BB edrives would survive such accidents much easier.
Also difference in quality of materials /steel/ for sure.

+1.

It's not just about more power and more range especially when you're talking about an off e-mtb being used for its purpose. Jumps, logs, rock beds etc must all then be considered. No point saying it's cheaper.

Comparing apples and oranges. Both fruits but quite different.

if you ever get away from the "park" and ski resorts then maybe you will realize there is a whole world out there of trails that are not "groomed by park management" .. that is real mountain biking: log crossings.. exposed rocks & boulders, rock and root stair ways and drop offs.. but sorry to hear your trails are so lame.. whats next are they going to pave the trails??? why even have suspension?? also, where are the videos of bafang surviving jumps or serious off road use??? and bafang is not the only kit with a throttle.. if you want power try E-go kit: 3,400 watts! and its a much more durable system with high quality cranks & bottom bracket.. even the GNG kit at least can replace the bottom bracket and cranks to higher quality / strength.. competition is increasing and prices will come down.. in case you missed it Hiabike has a lower priced model now with the yamaha drive and every bike manufacturer is getting in the ebike game so stay tuned..

if you must pick a fruit, for true offraod riding.. the bafang.. its a lemon..

EMPowered said:
Yes, the bosch/yamaha systems are more refined, but you have to buy the entire bike and they are pedal assist only with no throttle and are less powerful. I ride off road and take jumps often with the bafang with no problems at all here in Cali. All the approved riding trails don't have huge logs and rocks on them and are groomed by park management. For those that already have a full suspension mtb, the bafang is an excellent choice and you end up getting more for your money. My Giant DS with the bafang is way more fun to ride than similar higher priced full suspension ebikes, i have only ridden the Hai bike (7,000$), but blowing off the bafang because of rocks and logs is weak. Bottom line it climbs better, goes faster, and yes....costs less. Unless you have ridden a bosch and a bafang off road your points are speculation with nothing based on experience. The giant e-bike was not designed for logs and rocks, that's what trials bikes are designed for.
What proof do you have about these steel claims? Do you have proof that the steel in bosh or yamaha is better than bafang? Again, sounds like speculation. Price may not be a factor to you, but to many people, price matters. Sounds a little "fruity" to me.

annnd here's your proof..
bafang for serious offroad use is a waste of several hundred dollars..
(probably fine for commuting and smoooth trails though;)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64827#p973370

EMPowered said:
Yes, the bosch/yamaha systems are more refined, but you have to buy the entire bike and they are pedal assist only with no throttle and are less powerful. I ride off road and take jumps often with the bafang with no problems at all here in Cali. All the approved riding trails don't have huge logs and rocks on them and are groomed by park management. For those that already have a full suspension mtb, the bafang is an excellent choice and you end up getting more for your money. My Giant DS with the bafang is way more fun to ride than similar higher priced full suspension ebikes, i have only ridden the Hai bike (7,000$), but blowing off the bafang because of rocks and logs is weak. Bottom line it climbs better, goes faster, and yes....costs less. Unless you have ridden a bosch and a bafang off road your points are speculation with nothing based on experience. The giant e-bike was not designed for logs and rocks, that's what trials bikes are designed for.
What proof do you have about these steel claims? Do you have proof that the steel in bosh or yamaha is better than bafang? Again, sounds like speculation. Price may not be a factor to you, but to many people, price matters. Sounds a little "fruity" to me.

Still no proof, apparently you did not read the post you linked to. The crank arm came loose, nothing bent, nothing broken and he was able to ride his bike with no further issues after tightening everything up. Sounds like his biggest issue was chain slip. It is important to measure chain stretch because this will cause your shifting to be rough and can contribute to the chain coming off. A new chain should greatly help the chain from slipping off. If you don't have the chain stretch measuring tool, your local bike shop will be able to measure it for you.

apparently YOU did not read the post..
the bafang bottom bracket spindle was damaged / bent on the first small jump and the bike has not been ridden in the same manner since for fear of further damage to the motor unit and possibly rider!..

since i guess you can't read well maybe i will try to spell it out for you here..
from: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64827#p973370
"
Anyhow, upon arriving at home, I took the left crank arm off, and spun the drive side. The spindle wasn't spinning centered..

I'm pretty sure this little wall drop was the culprit in during my test ride. The landing felt great that night as both wheels hit the ground nearly simultaneously.

I've done this many times before with square taper BBs on regular bikes without fail, but China quality, similar to their customer service, is like rolling dice.

:idea: I think it's safe to say that if you're interested in this kit and part of the joy you get from riding is from jumps, drops, etc..., this is likely not the kit for you..

I may end up going back to a GNG belt drive & Cyclone ISIS BB. Though crude and certainly more noisy, it's simply bomb proof at factory power levels. Even though my e-bike builds were built with commuting in mind, it gives me peace of mind knowing they can take my level of riding..

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64827&start=25#p976444
If you plan on riding just streets or smooth dirt paths, I do feel the BBS-02 is the better fit especially with your mileage. If you plan on doing jumps and actual technical trail riding, and noise isn't an issue, go GNG chain drive..
"

NO evidence that bafang can survive aggressive offraod / freeride..
plenty of evidence it can't.. again where is your bafang jump video???

EMPowered said:
Still no proof, apparently you did not read the post you linked to. The crank arm came loose, nothing bent, nothing broken and he was able to ride his bike with no further issues after tightening everything up. Sounds like his biggest issue was chain slip. It is important to measure chain stretch because this will cause your shifting to be rough and can contribute to the chain coming off. A new chain should greatly help the chain from slipping off. If you don't have the chain stretch measuring tool, your local bike shop will be able to measure it for you.

But the spindle has not been replaced and he is still riding it, so was it bent or not? Does not seem like it was after all.
Maybe there will be some updates to the post if it was changed or not. I do not have any videos of off road riding yet, but i plan to some time in the future.
Sorry if the tone comes across wrong, i do not wish to offend you. I appreciate your view that it may not be the kit for the ultimate hard-core riders out there.
Anything mechanical can break if abused, but with nearly 100 motors sold so far, none have had bent spindles, and only one motor has failed due to the controller.
So far it has proven to be a very reliable set up.

the bafang bottom bracket spindle is bent from first small jump..
it will break next if jumped again!..
if you don't believe me go ask him yourself!

THIS thread is about MTN BIKES! (at least that was the intention)..
bafang does not hold up to mtn biking so please stop comparing to real mtn bikes here..
maybe your sales pitch for cheap junk would be better placed in the FOR SALE forum.. :roll:

bafang, reliable.. NOT for real mtn biking !!

EMPowered said:
But the spindle has not been replaced and he is still riding it, so was it bent or not? Does not seem like it was after all.
Maybe there will be some updates to the post if it was changed or not. I do not have any videos of off road riding yet, but i plan to some time in the future.
Sorry if the tone comes across wrong, i do not wish to offend you. I appreciate your view that it may not be the kit for the ultimate hard-core riders out there.
Anything mechanical can break if abused, but with nearly 100 motors sold so far, none have had bent spindles, and only one motor has failed due to the controller.
So far it has proven to be a very reliable set up.

Giant produced the LaFree which I can say has a very reliable drive. The chains, like you guys mentioned, slip much sooner then they would without the extra added power of the motor. From what I have read they have a 400 watt motor, but they also mention that it will peak at 1,000 watts. I turned one into a 36 volt (from 24 volt) full suspension bike. Fun as hell off road, kinda like riding a silent dirt bike.

Special Eyes joins the fray:)

Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Expert 6Fattie 2016 :

specialized_pedal_assist_launch_enduromag_002-specialized-Specialized-Turbo-Levo-FSR-Expert-6Fattie-ebike-mtb-www.ebike-mtb.com-e-mountainbike-magazine-780x520.jpg

specialized_pedal_assist_launch_enduromag_001-specialized-Specialized-Turbo-Levo-FSR-Expert-6Fattie-ebike-mtb-www.ebike-mtb.com-e-mountainbike-magazine-780x520.jpg

[youtube]WMRujW_zo5E[/youtube]

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/first-ride-specialized-turbo-levo-fsr-expert-6fattie-2016-3/

Haibike XDURO goes downhill

Haibike_XDURO_3_2016_www.ebike-mtb.com_KlausKneist_KKM6998-780x521.jpg

"The new Haibike XDRUO Downhill Pro should feel like a cross between downhill and motocross.."

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/exclusive-haibike-presents-the-xduro3-collection-for-2016/

Another video of the Specialized Turbo Levo:
[youtube]wIgtyDom5iA[/youtube]

So I don't have time to watch all these videos, but are the components on any of these bikes good? I mean looking at Giant's 2015 offerings, they put 32mm forks on almost everything unless you spend 5k. Adding electric drive means you can abuse the bike a lot harder.

Speaking to the Haibike, but I'd wager Specialized isn't cutting corners either, the components are excellent. Everything you would expect on normal high end MTB. The Nduro with the speed unlocker dongle in it it a fun beast. But the prices on any of the high end bikes, electric or not, are above $5000 these days.

EUROBIKE 2015: Giant Dirt E+ hardtail with integrated battery ..

"One of the most important trends for the coming season, apart from Plus tires, is the integration of the battery in the overall E-mountain bike concept. Giant has also done its homework for 2016 and is introducing the totally new Dirt E+ hardtail with a stylish frame and a powerful motor in three different spec versions.. "

Giant-DirtE-First-Look-10-von-14-780x520.jpg

Giant-DirtE-First-Look-14-von-14-780x520.jpg

GIANT-Dirt-E-Hardtail-First-Look-1-von-11-780x520.jpg

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/eurobike-2015-the-giant-dirt-e-hardtail-with-integrated-battery/

Haibike SDURO HardFour RX E-MTB for Kids :

"Are the kids really that lazy these days?..
using E-MTBs as the solution to minimize the difference in power and distance that exists between kids and adults, essentially using the pedal-assist bikes as a tool to enable the whole family to ride as one unit.."

Haibike_SDURO_HardFour_RX_www.ebike-mtb.com_KlausKneist_KKM7397-780x521.jpg

Haibike_SDURO_HardFour_RX_www.ebike-mtb.com_KlausKneist_KKM7399-780x521.jpg

Haibike_SDURO_HardFour_RX_www.ebike-mtb.com_KlausKneist_KKM7412-780x521.jpg

Spec:
Fork: SR SUNTOUR XCR Air RL-R
Brakes: TEKTRO Auriga
Drivetrain: Shimano 2×9-speed
Motor: Yamaha mid-motor 36 V, 250 W
Battery: Lithium Ion 36 V, 400 Wh
Display: Yamaha multi-functional display
Price: €1,999

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/first-look-haibike-sduro-hardfour-rx-and-life/

Its coming the E bike will go main stream when you see design s like this a very well engineered thought out E bike with a company like giant backing it , as soon as these get released to the us market with Giant support it will start the next latest greatest in the bicycle world soon even bike shops that hate e bikes will have to deal with them . As they catch on (and they will) more n more non e bikers will cross over creating a demand for better and better e bikes fun times are ahead start saving your money .

Specialized Turbo Levo
Hadn't heard of this bike, somehow missed it, but was in the LBS last night taking a maintenance class and couldn't keep my eyes off this thing. Thought it was some new carbon beast. Wasn't until I got close and that I realized it was an electric.

Sorry for the shitty, blurry pic.
Everyone in the shop loves it. The first ebike that they all unanimously loved.
Kool that the motor and battery are completely hidden and that its Bluetooth programable, even peaks over our 500w Canadian limit.
To bad it's priced at $7500 cdn. :shock:
Me thinks this ebike thing might be catching on :wink:

Back