Are hookworms indestructible

Jestronix

10 kW
I love the hookworms, silent and soak up a lots of the small stuff. I've ridden them off road through angry gravel, broken glass on pavements, bottomed out on the rim a few times, punched 8kw thru them. No punctures ever ! I'm impressed and can highly recommend them. Only thinng I don't like is they really pull the water up in the wet, being slicks this is natural.

I never liked my Hookworms,........and they tried to kill me. I had probably a dozen flats in the 8 months or so that I ran them. They tended to wash out on the slightest amount of gravel or road debris, or water. The rolling resistance was awesome though. I've been running Vee Speedsters ever since.

Are hookworms indestructible

No.

file.php

For me, they last 4 weeks. They are doing very good on hot dry pavement. I don't use them often, but I have a few on the shelves for when the conditions are perfect. There are 2 different Hookworm tires: 2 ply and single ply. For high speed, don't trust the single ply, neither the Cyclops copy. Don't trust any slick tire speeding on bad surfaces, wet, dusty, bumpy...

26 x 2.5" Hookworms are very study tires, but they have no specific puncture protection. Like moto tires, they get the incidental puncture protection of their thickness and sturdy casing.

The pedicab fleet I work with has traditionally used a lot of 29 x 2.5" Hookworms, but more recently has gravitated towards WTB Thick Slick Flat Guard 29 x 2.1" tires. Those are a little smaller, but faster and better armored than Hookworms.

Yes they are! At least Until they get destroyed.
Those are my favourite tires. Put some tire liners, anti puncture tubes and they will last more than many other models. They are not steel though... you can also have flats and shit....

Jestronix said:
4 weeks ! dam im on 2 ply and have a few thousand ks on them.
4 weeks is not that bad for me. I ride very high power, hard and fast. Then, I replace tires before they get dangerous. Riding hard on warm pavement, heat and torsion does break the fibers in the sidewalls and the loss of stiffness is making the tire dangerous to speed. I give them away to those who ride pedal bikes. I do 6 weeks on tires that are more than twice the weight of Hookworms.

Got a puncture on my stand up electric scooter with the hookworms on it a couple of weeks ago, I am now using a tire liner on the back, with stan's no tubes sealant inside of both front and rear.

Good to hear there are a couple of other options available , from Chalo ... WTB Thick Slick
and from Epyon, Vee Speedsters

Schwalbe has a " Super Moto X " in size 27.5 ( 650b )
and they have the " Marathon Plus "

Of course, there are slick tires that are much thicker than a Hookworm. They last longer, but not better. Hookworms have a very good riding quality, and they are lightweight. For performance they are very good. For puncture resistance, they are good on wide rims, riding them low PSI. A slick tire ridden high PSI is always easy to puncture.

On 16" rims, hookworms have been terrible performers for me. Constant pinch flats until I installed a Bell tire (continental?) which at least didn't pinch flat like the Hookworms, but...

I went with a Marathon+ last year and haven't had a flat since (yet) (knocks on convenient wooden thingy)
I might note I use hookworms on 20" rims without flats (well, one over a 5-year period)

Hookworms have their place. Skate parks and hot clean asphalt or cement and a hookworm feels pretty nice to ride on.

Starting from a new 4 ply, they only survive about 4-6 dyno pulls before failure. However, some bicycle tires fail before completing a single pull. On the supermoto track I couldn't make it through an 10-12lap race with a hookworm though, even changing to a new tire/wheel between every track session.

[youtube]_FxpKc0wasQ [/youtube]

Yep. They are really for ideal conditions, and can’t be trusted to last riding fast. You can feel when the fibers start to break inside, for they lose lateral stiffness notably. I like riding them in the nicest days of the summer, on my lightest bike. Tires never last me very long anyway, so why not keeping a variety and ride those that suits the conditions. Riding performance on bicycle tires, you need to be conscious of the damage that they suffer, and replace them before the get dangerous to ride. I am lucky to have very few flats, but I buy a lot of tires to deserve that luck.

Also should note, I don't think that golden motor dynod over 35-40hp tops totally saturated with excessive phase current and over rated max RPM.

It's current motor does 108ft-lbs and over 70hp, and motorcycle tires take that fine, but I couldn't run rain or qualifying slicks because they would overheat and get greasy gooey mid race. Motorcycle road race slicks worked out fine (beyond my rider skills by far).

The next time it goes to the track it it should have over 235ft-lbs and +120-130hp, and the next visit will have at least 470ft-lbs and 200+hp and a prostock or nitro drag bike slick. It just requires spending a week or so off running my thriving consulting business to just work on a upping my own bar that Im still shocked not have seen beaten already by now in the quarter mile, being as production EV family sedans now are running over 1 second faster in the quarter mile today.

Its not a workaholic type of problem, it's that each project Im involved with is more awesome and I enjoy creating each of them and it seem like a more compassionate contribution to my fellow shipmates at the moment. It's also amazing to be pioneering and supporting development of humans using energy.

Leaving the caveman discovering fire stage either happens because we figure out how, or our spaceships contents as well as human imagination constructed things (money, words, math etc) won't seem very important without the brains alive to choose to believe in it.

Back