LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

maitilupas said:
than should I try this ? i want fast throttle but also want a smooth ramp

No smooth ramp up on Lyen controller, just one big hit of max amps. Very twitchy and dangerous on powerful bike. I think there is a way to make a throttle tamer but I have never tried. It is well documented on the forum. I think a Cycle analyst v3 can tame throttle. It can be done by using ‘current’ throttle settings in CA v2.3 as well. If you look up the manual for a CA v2.3. It will show you

i red before about that throttle tame, but thining about if using that is realy worth to give up kelly which has very nice features just because of a few ms, i have to investigate about those controllers than .
well i come from the motorcyle backgound and i notice allot the lag even if its close to zero i just notice it.
you dont want that, specially for trials

have a look into these, think kelly made a special programming for the motors of these guys , maybe to consider?

http://www.eastgem.net/accsesories.html

maitilupas said:
have a look into these, think kelly made a special programming for the motors of these guys , maybe to consider?

that is where I got my KLS7218SW and it does not work with my LRHDD which is similar to the LMX motors I think

maitilupas said:

The LMX motor is better because it has a wider stator which means more torque and better efficiency under load :wink:

madin88 said:
maitilupas said:

The LMX motor is better because it has a wider stator which means more torque and better efficiency under load :wink:

Yes, lmx is 60mm stator.
I need to purchase a controller and although the kelly kbs18 will do the job nicely the programming software looks really rubbish lol. It seems to have arbitrary units and strange function titles from the screen shots i've seen.

brumbrum said:
madin88 said:
maitilupas said:

Yes, lmx is 60mm stator.
I need to purchase a controller and although the kelly kbs18 will do the job nicely the programming software looks really rubbish lol. It seems to have arbitrary units and strange function titles from the screen shots i've seen.
KBS programming is better than KLS IMO

im ready to buy another KBS

Yeah the kbs interface is nice
By the way they say kbs don’t work with Bluetooth adaptor but they do! Tried myself.
The Bluetooth interface that’s horrible but handy
Check fany from kelly in this video walking trough
https://vimeo.com/205221244

Thanks guys, thats good to know, and cheers for the video link :D

Yea, it was the KLS interface that i had seen,, very bad.
As you say the KBS is much better. I just looked it up on kelly website. Good :D

yes myself I use 20s, but im curious to try the 16s, it might be a sweet spot as you said.
found this :
spinningmagnets said:
If using the BHT, the single reduction would work best with a higher voltage, but...if using 48V/52V, the higher kV of the Lightning Rods motor + jackshaft would result in a better torque at the rear wheel.

More testing on the KBS72151E today:
Pushed the bike more and had no problems with overheating.. The only noticeable issues were when I kept full throttle for a while like a
min, the continuous amps eventually dropped from 70s/80 to 60s and even 40s but that actually protects the motor and everything aha

Im also curious to try the new motors lmx as i have an old version and new ones tend to drop less or heat less

how do you cool these motors with liquid? hard job?

spinningmagnets said:

All it takes is time, tools, and money...

We did it back in 2016, on the 50mm motors, but we found out the weight and complexity was not worth the improved/constant cooling rate. It sure did a big difference, but was turning our cheap motors into very expensive ones due to manual work and disassembly.

We switched to 60mm and not looked back.

Adam

skeetab5780 said:

Please only use KBS with our engines. it has been tested multiples times with sin wave like KLS or adapto, never with good results due to non ideal hall sensor signal. the Denzel engine is compatible with KLS because it uses external hall, probably with cleaner halls signals, but it adds bulk and weight.

Adam

How does the power of the lmx engine relate to a hub motor like the qs205, to get an idea of ​​the power of the lmx engine?

bionicon said:
How does the power of the lmx engine relate to a hub motor like the qs205, to get an idea of ​​the power of the lmx engine?

I dont know , but I would like to kick ass a stealth bomber with my lmx :)

maitilupas said:
bionicon said:

I dont know , but I would like to kick ass a stealth bomber with my lmx :)

That will be easy off road, less weight more torque/ hill climb capability, less unpsrung swing weight...easier to change flats

bzhwindtalker said:
spinningmagnets said:

All it takes is time, tools, and money...

We did it back in 2016, on the 50mm motors, but we found out the weight and complexity was not worth the improved/constant cooling rate. It sure did a big difference, but was turning our cheap motors into very expensive ones due to manual work and disassembly.

We switched to 60mm and not looked back.

Adam

^^ this
generally, if you want more continuous power, your best ROI will come from putting more weight and volume into copper and iron, rather than water, radiator and pumps. 2kg of the latter buys you a lot of the former, with the added benefit of more peak power, and typically higher efficiency too! The only reason to go to active cooling is if you've filled whatever space you can where your motor resides with copper and iron first. There are some exceptions (such as a hub motor, where the extra weight may be better placed on the frame by way of pumps and radiators than more unsprung weight) but generally, invest in Cu and Fe before H20 and Al.

bzhwindtalker said:
skeetab5780 said:

Please only use KBS with our engines. it has been tested multiples times with sin wave like KLS or adapto, never with good results due to non ideal hall sensor signal. the Denzel engine is compatible with KLS because it uses external hall, probably with cleaner halls signals, but it adds bulk and weight.

Adam

KBS/KLS - what controllers are these? chs

sn0wchyld said:

KBS = trapezoidal controllers
KLS = sinewave controllers (which seems to be way more sensitive in terms of hall signals or probably motor design generally)

The kits from Denzel also have trapezoidal controllers (even the large D7500 one which would have the halls outside and away from the windings).

sn0wchyld said:
bzhwindtalker said:
skeetab5780 said:

Adam

The brand is kelly controllers you can just google its a huge company

What about a matching bms for the lmx motor. I am currently hunting one down. I suppose 50a continuous and 120a peak at a minimum? Or is that conservative?

I am finding it particularly difficult sourcing a bms that will be reliable and has the correct amp rating and has a seperate (C-) port for a charger plug.

If anyone has any ideas please post it up. I have asked Bestech in China if i can purchase this... http://bestechpower.com/592v16spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D223V1.html
But have heard nothing back yet, and they probably over charge for single item or have minimum order.

I see that on the LMX website there is a 50a bms for sale, but there is no information or images , so i am not sure if it will be compatible with the current lmx motor. Adam? Any details on the bms you sell?

brumbrum said:
What about a matching bms for the lmx motor. I am currently hunting one down. I suppose 50a continuous and 120a peak at a minimum? Or is that conservative?

maybe these?
http://www.eastgem.net/bms.html

maitilupas said:
brumbrum said:

maybe these?
http://www.eastgem.net/bms.html

Looks really good , though its android only , no IOS Which i would need.

Back