LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

I've been lurking this thread since its inception. The lmx 64 checks all the boxes for me. I'm always checking your FB page for new pics of it. Can't wait for the frame kit. Thun/TDCM or are you developing your own pas sensor? Last I spoke with Tangent Dave he hadn't found a pas sensor he really liked for his kits.

We will be testing two models of torque sensors from bafang and senpu, Ive talked to Mr Thun on the phone and guys from NTCE (the sensors in thun BBs) but they are focused on mass production of 68mm BB sensors while we need 100mm BSA.

Pas only is never gonna work for such bikes, but tuning of torque sensor is gonna be tricky. Can't wait to try it to get this kind of super-human feeling you can get with a powerful pedal command ebike. Keep the throttle for situations where you are stuck in the wrong gear or can't pedal.

I am currently using thun which have sensor on the left side of the crank and I can say that its nothing to have. You really need both sides to respond to have a good feeling of a super human.

bzhwindtalker said:
We will be testing two models of torque sensors from bafang and senpu, Ive talked to Mr Thun on the phone and guys from NTCE (the sensors in thun BBs) but they are focused on mass production of 68mm BB sensors while we need 100mm BSA.
Yes 100mm BB is indeed a problem. I would check for Fatbike BB, but it probabaly needs to be custom fabricated.

Allex said:
I am currently using thun which have sensor on the left side of the crank and I can say that its nothing to have. You really need both sides to respond to have a good feeling of a super human.

The responsivness of the NTCE sensors is a problem. On the one hand because of the torque measurement only from the left pedal and on the other hand because of the relative low pole count (signals per revolution).
But i must say torque assist works not bad after some crank revoltions (at least together with a CA).

There is a new torque sensor available from Sempu (T2.3 Version) which should bring us closer to the super human feel 8)
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/torque-sensors/sempu-140.html
It measures torque on both sides and has a 24 pole sin/cos signal. I will soon swap out the Thun sensor on my fathers 1500W pedelec for this one.

The Sempu units we ordered should have 36 or 48 pulses per revolution. Bafang has 32 I think.
Also we should be able to tweak the behavior in controller programming to reach that superhuman feel.

Adam

The great thing about the Sempu T2.3 sensor is it doesn't need a sprocket carrier (or adapter) like the bafang does.
Which controller do you talking about, or do you mean the CA?

Hello Adam,
I'm new on this forum but I've followed your adventures and I admire your work and ambition, your bike looks really, really nice!! :)
I wanted to participate in the indiegogo campain but I just didn't have the funds at the time. Anyway, I just wanted to ask: since you now work on having the LMX-161 street legal, did you have to limit its power compared to the initial model? If yes, do you plan to sell 2 models in parallel: one street legal and one purely offroad?
Also I saw that some other ebikes use regenerative-braking, is this something you consider for the LMX in the future?

We're not sure yet we will sell both models, easiest for us is to sell only the 161-h and let customers remove some of the parts they do not need for offroad use, but the demand for the offroad version is still high.
The power is not limited, only the top speed is.
We have auto regen on throttle off, but not a big amount as it is not ideal for riding behavior to have strong auto regen.
Best regards, Adam

bzhwindtalker said:
We're not sure yet we will sell both models, easiest for us is to sell only the 161-h and let customers remove some of the parts they do not need for offroad use, but the demand for the offroad version is still high.
The power is not limited, only the top speed is.
We have auto regen on throttle off, but not a big amount as it is not ideal for riding behavior to have strong auto regen.
Best regards, Adam

With the kelly controller, is it not possible to use a SS49E hall sensor and magnet attached to a brake lever and get variable regen? I was hoping of setting this up on my 161 build. This is what i use on my adaptto controller.
Its basically works like a throttle, but instead of twisting the magnet position to change voltage signal, you pull the magnet away from the hall sensor when pulling the brake lever.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0afjek2LM[/youtube]

brumbrum said:
With the kelly controller, is it not possible to use a SS49E hall sensor and magnet attached to a brake lever and get variable regen? I was hoping of setting this up on my 161 build. This is what i use on my adaptto controller.
Its basically works like a throttle, but instead of twisting the magnet position to change voltage signal, you pull the magnet away from the hall sensor when pulling the brake lever.

think you can archive this using the brake analog function on the kelly
brake an ( 2)
and a 5v source

maitilupas said:
brumbrum said:

think you can archive this using the brake analog function on the kelly
brake an ( 2)
and a 5v source

Thanks, thats what i am hoping. I will be starting a build log soon with some video clips to show components and progress.

finally got my hands on this
81 frame.jpg
hope to build a very light bike but powerful enough for short rides.

couple of questions before I start,
- is there any coating on the frame? can I powder coat the frame? or spray something to protect the aluminum
- from my reading here, KBS72181E,110A,24-72V is the best match for the 161, is it same for the 81 that has smaller motor?
- I plan to run single speed, what T do you recommended for pedaling speed of 5-10 miles only
- can I fit a 26x3 tire (duro wildlife ) to the rear rim?
- is there any issues using boxxer RC fork on this frame?

Also i wish to upgrade the motor but so far i can't find anything more powerful but narrow enough to fit, any suggestions are welcome.
thanks

brumbrum said:
Thanks, thats what i am hoping. I will be starting a build log soon with some video clips to show components and progress.

do you already have the frame ? curious about your build , I would also like to build one

maitilupas said:
brumbrum said:

do you already have the frame ? curious about your build , I would also like to build one

Yes i have a 161 base kit. I am waiting on a couple of bits before getting stuck in, but i promise i will start a build thread in the photos section of the forum. I will create a link here when i start the thread.

Is that a three piston caliper on the front?

The bike has had some nice 'attention to detail' parts added.

I am waitting on some bushings for my DNM rear shock. Its an old skool size bushing so i had to order from spain and its taking forever to turn up. Build cannot commence without them, in the mean time I've been preparing the wiring harness.

take your time , meanwhile , please dont do supermoto of this ebike , it is way to light and low speed torque for such ,your model bike is a beaast when it comes to trial and free ride ,ill focus on that

maitilupas said:
take your time , meanwhile , please dont do supermoto of this ebike , it is way to light and low speed torque for such ,your model bike is a beaast when it comes to trial and free ride ,ill focus on that
Why should low weight be an issue for supermoto?
Torque and top speed is just a matter of the reduction or gearing and this can be easy adjusted.

I also like the look, but i would swap the tires. With the larger one on the rear it would look better :)

btw: nice demo vid!

you need some weight with speed! you dont want to fly to the side!

front and rear sprocket can be changed yes
also make aerodynamics lower etc , suspension and well..

There is a huge potential (plus a new urban race series) for Electric Supermotard with 50cc and 125cc equivalent classes. The KTM freeride and kuberg will race in 125cc, we will too.

Here is a video with dirt tires and stock power.
With the dedicated wheelset and bigger engine (80mm stator) the new build will be tons better on track.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf31-sjHBSw/

Adam

BesTech is the BMS manufacturer, they sell in bulk, for individual geeks they dont really want to sell, but those days they have one distributor can sell all their products with just 1 pc, no limit, www.LiTechPower.com, hope they can help you.

Hi Adam, Just wanted to make sure what derailleur and shitfter to best use on the lmx81

Back