Troubleshooting Kelly controller

pks

100 µW
Hello,

I was hoping if somebody can help me understand what is going on with my Kelly KLS7218S controller. It was running fine for a couple of days after I've completed the build, however yesterday I've decided to reroute some wiring and having completed the reroute the controller now throws Hall Sensor error and fails to run. I've traced all wires, they seem to be intact. No connector changes or any other obvious wire damage.

I've started testing voltage and noticed something strange. With motor fully disconnected the hall sensors pins (16,17,18) from the controller measure ~12v all the time. Is this is an expected behavior for the controller?

No, I'm pretty sure Kelly uses 5V on the halls.

Try unplugging all three connectors,try routing Battery Pack B+ voltage to pin7(ignition) which looks like a light pink color.

Then try measuring The Black(21) and the Purple(5) on the Motor Hall Plug.
If it's back to 5v connect the Halls back to the Motor, then connect your phone or Pc to it and check the info tab where you read the Hall error. In the middle column you can see Hall A,B and C. Then try turning the Motor by Hand to see if all the fields have changing values like 0 and 1 at one point or another. This is to check the Motor Halls for any damage or broken/pulled wires.

Now if the controllers Hall voltage didn't drop down to 5V you might have a broken Controller. I once had a badly soldered EC5 Battery connector on my controller which came loose caused a spark gap. when accelerating it would spark like 50 times a second which killed one of the Hall receiving signals on the controller.

Kelly offered to repair it but I was too lazy to return it :roll:

The black and red pin on hall controller shows 5V without a problem. Kelly has actually replied saying that hall circuits are pulled up to 12V through a resistor inside KLS controller.

I think something odd is going on with my motor. :)

I am testing my hall sensors in the motor (MXUS 3K Turbo) and both sets are showing strange results. I only connected +5v and ground to the motor hall sensors and each sensor goes to 0.001v or 0v. It switches between these two values reliably well, yet my understanding was that hall sensor should switch between 0v and 5v.

The motor also has 2 sets of sensors and it is brand new. Surely I could not damage both sets exactly same way.

Any guesses why my halls are behaving like that?

halls just switch ground on and off, so without being connected to the pullups inside the controller, with power on, you can't see the switching happen.

Well the controller can tell you if the Halls are switching or not on the Programm info page.

I'm a little confused. I was testing hall sensors between ground and signal. Is this is not the right way to test?

What is the right way to test the hall sensor in the motor without a controller connected to it?

eee291 said:
Well the controller can tell you if the Halls are switching or not on the Programm info page.

Sadly in my case the controller insists that halls aren't switching and I can't understand why. Nothing major changed in the motor and suddenly both sets of all halls are dead? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe you cooked the motor above 110° for a longer time?

If you apply 5v to the sensors, then measure from the red to the three signal wires. If there is no switching then they are dead. Simple as that.

Or the wires have been tugged on accidentally.

Also what motor is it?

As I said, you have to connect the halls to the controller's pullup resistors and power ot test them.

They only switch ground on and off, so they don't output any voltage on their own. If you don't have pullup resistors on their signal wires, there will be no output above ground.

If you dont' connect them to a controller, you have to make your own pullup resistor and voltage source to test them with.

There is troubleshooting info on the http://ebikes.ca page on the Learn tab, if it helps.

Did you find the problem ?

I have a kinda similar problem.

I changed my QS motor and the Kelly KLS7812S now says : Identify Err; Hall sensor Error
No values are in the Hall Sensor fields, nothing moves here if I turn the wheel...

But, measuring between +5V and Hall Sensor wires shows a nice switching signal as I turn the wheel, so then I guess my
Kelly controller is no longer able to read the Halls ?
It worked fine on my previous similar motor...

Any clues ?
Thanks

In my case the problem was traced to faulty throttle and once it was replaced, controller started working just fine.

DirkB19 said:
I changed my QS motor and the Kelly KLS7812S now says : Identify Err; Hall sensor Error
No values are in the Hall Sensor fields, nothing moves here if I turn the wheel...

I am having the exact same issue on my KLS7254N - it reads 'Hall Sensor Error', and bleeps the error code at me? It works absolutely fine otherwise, however, the wheel turns when throttle is turned, just bleeps a lot!

If anyone has any thoughts I would be so grateful!
Thanks!

Back