Better passenger solution A.K.A. save my marriage

Pinesal

100 W
My wife doesn't like biking. I bought her an electric bike, so she and I can ride around. She kind of hates it. And I get totally frustrated by her slowness and refusal to try to keep up with my speed. She likes to go about 8 miles per hour and it drives me insane.

I used to let her ride behind me in the seat of my scooter (52v 750w). It works but it's a bit cramped and we look silly. Also, we exceed the recommended weight limit by about 60 lbs.

My thought was maybe to get a sidecar or a trailer for her to ride in. Something like this https://www.aosom.com/plap/aosom-wanderer-bicycle-bike-cargo-luggage-trailer-black~811.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7IbaBRBqEiwA6AyZghUd1IjlXZmESo-vkHaymeTNKvqLRS_EyRBwySd4MGwabnM9vgKc1hoCKgcQAvD_BwE <---will that even work on a scooter (I have GigaByke Groove)?

So this trailer can carry 110 lbs (she is 108) and the trailer itself is 22 lbs. By now the scooter is pulling the weight from behind rather than carrying it on top. Is that better or worse for the scooter? I am not sure. I would probably want to go about 15mph max with a trailer.

I don't know if this is a good idea or a terrible one. Has anybody dealt with this kind of thing? Are there better solutions?

I'd look into a bigger scooter that you can ride more comfortably 2-up.

I've zipped around 2-up on 49cc rental scooters, and it was fine. That's definitely a lot less silly looking than dragging somebody around in a trailer.

Also you're probably going to want something with more power anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eavsadthb5rqswc/IMG_1291.JPG?dl=0

This is my bike with the Companion bike seat, which is rated up to 200 lbs. Despite my obsession with e-bikes, I am inexplicably single, so I mostly use it to store small items in the locking compartment and secure heavy items on top of the seat. I did attempt to give my friend a ride once, but he's about 240 and even though the seat handled it fine, I couldn't ride in a straight line. With a passenger ~150 lbs or lighter, it should handle just fine.

http://www.thebikeseat.com/

If bicycles are an option, there are some flexible options.
Tandem bikes. Cargo bikes with 'children seats' come to mind.

For a scooter, go for something bigger. BMW C evolution perhaps. 80cc equivalent or more.

With a 750W scoot I wouldn't haul the extra load, period. Maybe she'd feel more comfortable riding the scoot. Down here a much higher percentage of women ride scooters compared to motorcycles or moto-bicis.

Pinesal said:
I don't know if this is a good idea or a terrible one. Has anybody dealt with this kind of thing? Are there better solutions?

That would be terrifying to ride on.

This sounds like a job for a longtail cargo bike with a nice cushy seat pad on the back deck. Or a big long wheelbase bakfiets with a well-appointed front box.

Or a Buddy Bike:
austin%20IMG_3151_edited_web.jpg

It's intended for riding with busted kids, but it seems like it might be fun to ride with a pint-sized mate, too. Buddy Bike is going out of business and liquidating their stock, but I don't think it would be that hard to roll your own.

Or maybe an Opus Counterpoint/Bilenky Viewpoint/Hase Pino tandem :
abby%20and%20me%20on%20the%20viewpoint.JPG

pino_13.jpg

The advantage of this one, other than the noncommittal stoker's riding postion, is that the front and rear pedal drivetrains are independent.

I have the same question and would love to hear from anyone who has regularly transported two adults on a cargo bike. For example, a Yubda Mundo or similar. All opinions welcome, prefer not to go with a tandem.

amberwolf said:
No, if you want to go all out dork, this is it :lol: :

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833

file.php

file.php

Aw, you have a courting bike!

Do what I did and D.T.B, it's only cheaper to keep her if you don't really value your happiness over money.

Back