2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

I did see an email contact somewhere, but try again? She is usually pretty good (weekdays at least), iv'e used that channel many times now.

craiggor said:
When mine broke I noticed on pulling it apart there was only one spring in the clutch the pencil is pointing to it. In the line drawing there is 3. I asked Bonnie about this and she said that one was normal. I'm not an engineer but surely this is something to do with the clutch locking and breaking the sun gear.If I'm wrong then can someone tell me what is breaking the sun gear on roll back.
Nice catch. I read this thread from the beginning to the end two times and haven't seen anyone pointing it out.
How did your sungear break? Broken teeth or something else? Can you post photos of your damaged sungear taken from both sides?
I suspect that these gears are not all the same.

Ecyclist said:
craiggor said:
When mine broke I noticed on pulling it apart there was only one spring in the clutch the pencil is pointing to it. In the line drawing there is 3. I asked Bonnie about this and she said that one was normal. I'm not an engineer but surely this is something to do with the clutch locking and breaking the sun gear.If I'm wrong then can someone tell me what is breaking the sun gear on roll back.
Nice catch. I read this thread from the beginning to the end two times and haven't seen anyone pointing it out.
How did your sungear break? Broken teeth or something else? Can you post photos of your damaged sungear taken from both sides?
I suspect that these gears are not all the same.
See pages 42/49 of this thread for my pictures of the first time I striped both the sun gear and planetary gears.That day my clutch was rattling the most it ever had.I set off on the flat and it striped then I changed gear and it striped again. I stretched the spring which seems to have stopped the rattle. See pages55/56/58 for the second time I broke only the sun gear. This time it looked like the sun gear had deformened and picked up the rubber and metal bearing seal throwing that in to the gears and breaking the sun gear. Xiongda sent out a new improved sun gear that time.Great customer service the second time was 2 years after I bought the motor.

Bruce Teakle has a new video on you tube "Xiongda 2- speed hub motor with slipping motor magnets" link on the video to his blog on how he fixed it. He was lubricating and cooling the motor with ATF but does not know if the ATF caused the magnets to loosen because he has run another Xiongda with ATF for more miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 4,529
craiggor said:
Bruce Teakle has a new video on you tube "Xiongda 2- speed hub motor with slipping motor magnets" link on the video to his blog on how he fixed it. He was lubricating and cooling the motor with ATF but does not know if the ATF caused the magnets to loosen because he has run another Xiongda with ATF for more miles.
It is probably ATF and magnet adhesive combination. In my early intent of ATF cooling I spined magnets of 3x early Mxus 500W motors in ~ 1 month to 1 year of ATF and newer had issue on 1x 1000W GM and 1x Crystalite HS35. Recent Mxus motors use other adhesive.
I just glued magnets back on with slow automotive 2 component "JB" weld. Be sure to clean everything before that.

Does anyone know if the temperature sensor featured in the Luna kit is also installed in the motors shipped from XD directly?

My thoughts on the xiongda 2sp motor.

I bought a 36v one direct from Xiongda, Bonnie was great to deal with. I got all the options because why not, they're dirt cheap. I sent Bonnie my rim dimensions and she added 251mm spokes for $8, how can you pass up pricing like that. I think they're 12ga so pretty burly. I built my wheel and put a bike together and rode it for 4 months over the summer. Even in 35 degree heat climbing a 5 km hill flat out pulling 450-500 watts I had no overheating problems. It developed a squeak I was unable to pinpoint but I blasted the entire hub/cassette with some Teflon lube and it stopped.

In the fall I put it on a bike for my daughter to ride at university. She rode it all winter with no problems other than the squeak came back for a while but eventually stopped before she came home for the summer. The display shows 720km traveled.

It is not a fast or as powerful as my 48v Bafang bbs02 but then again it's only rated at 350w compared to 750w. For a 350w motor it packs a lot of torque. It climbs well but it's speed tops out at about 32kph. Being only 350w it goes a long way on a battery charge.

A friend bought one from Luna and asked me to build it for her. All I can say is buy from Bonnie. Luna's cost $200CAD more (delivery incl.) and didn't come with brake levers or spokes. There was no option for different configuration (disc, no disc, cassette, freehub, colour, cable length) so she ended up with a disc brake compatible freehub style that is too wide for her dropouts. Fortunately she's got a steel frame so I can make it fit.

I ordered another for myself today to put on my recumbent. I got extra brake levers with electric contacts for my friend's bike for $5/pair while I was ordering. I ordered the 48v one this time so I'll post a comparison of 48v vs 36v soon.

As for the rolling backwards issue, occasionally when I rolled it backwards it wouldn't turn. A little rollforward then back and it would usually go. When I was building the wheel in the stand it would never roll backwards. Now after 720km it rolls backwards every time. The new on I'm building is in the trueing stand right now and turns both ways no problem.

Edit: Follow up - 48V motor has more torque than the 36V motor obviously but more than I was expecting. The top speed is only about 4kph more at 48V though. The brake levers I got direct from Xiongda would not work with the Luna kit, The Luna provided sensors are normally closed contacts whereas the Xiongda ones are normally open. I asked Luna if they knew of any way to make them work but got nothing from them.

Edit 2: My 36V motor sh*t the bed yesterday. It works in low gear but in high gear I hear the motor turn but there is no propulsion. I guess it's time to rip it apart and see what happened.

A friend bought her 2 speed motor from Luna, it doesn't have automatic shifting and it's kinda inconvenient to shift from high to low, you've got to cycle through the assist levels up through #5. Once in low you've got no varied assist. She is not very athletic (being nice) and overworks her motor on the hills in high gear and it overtemps and cuts out. With the auto shifting I've never had mine cut out.

hi

I narrowed it up to choosing between bmp (cst or not )500w or xiongda 2 speed motor.

i dont care if i go uphill slowly, i want a motor that will get me up without heating to much so without damage probability.

here are the spec i received from xondga . i m not sure how to interpret them

on one side yes bmp has more copper mass but if the xiongda is made to go up at slower real speed uphill maybe it will just produce less heat??

pict on left lower speed and on right higher speed both for xiongda motor. i do not have bmp spec if some one know where to find theme it would help

here are the latest stat 2018 for xd

I have a tread where i specify my needs (300lbs uphill)
I would greatly appreciate if the one of you that have had experience with both motor (bmp 500w and xd ) could see if they can bring light to my choice https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94482&p=1389142#p1389142

cheers hey

Attachments

• xd111.gif
    xd111.gif
    191.2 KB · Views: 4,104
  • xd222.gif
    xd222.gif
    221.3 KB · Views: 4,104
  • xd333.gif
    xd333.gif
    214.8 KB · Views: 4,103
  • xd444.gif
    xd444.gif
    111.1 KB · Views: 4,103
  • xd555.gif
    xd555.gif
    96.9 KB · Views: 4,104
want to build said:
anyone could help?
I installed 2 speed Xiongda motor on my son's trike. I had one problem with that motor, but because of the first class customer service provided by Bonnie I still recommend that motor. Unfortunately when you buy Chinese product you will, most likely, have some kind of kinks to iron out. The good news is that with Xiongda you will have someone on the other end to help you out.

Attachments

• Xiongda on Gekko 1.JPG
    Xiongda on Gekko 1.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 4,047
Ecyclist said:
Xray said:
Has anyone installed this in a 20" (406) wheel? Any idea what top speed would be ? Would it hold up to using in a tandem bike where weight would be 400 pounds or so?
Are you actually serious???
I just posted failure of Xiongda that was used under normal 200 lb. total load and you are asking if this can be used with 400 lb. load?
Get a mid drive dude. Something like Cyclone.

It was an honest question, and the arithmetic is close enough for him to be asking honestly. Coupled with dual pedalers, it would be adequate. But for our tandem - a Bikee2 recumbent, we wanted to laze over any St. Louis hill, 2 aboard + groceries, (well over 400#), no pedaling. We laced to our 16" front wheel. We were lucky in that our forks were thick steel. Mission accomplished, but with a max speed of 15-16 m/h. Also, we had to have the Xiongdang wheel relaced, as they used low bid spokes. Another ~ $180 all told, with God's own spokes and a hard lacing job.

My motor only works in low gear. In high gear I hear the motor spin but it doesn't move.Bonnie sent me a tool and the gear she thought it would be. I opened the hub (Holy scrap was that tight) and all the gears look new. I put the axle in a vice and turned the motor by hand. In one direction the hub turned. When i rotated the motor the other direction the hub turned until I put a but of resistance on it the things started slipping. The problem is in the part that stays attached to the hub housing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something I can fix?

Yes, I had exactly the same problem. The part she will send you will take care of it. Everyone here is writing about plastic gears failing, but this wasn't it in my case. The high speed sun gear inner part is made of steel and it is secured to the clutch ring with very fine weld. The weld is the problem. This could be designed as a one piece, but apparently it is not cost effective for Xiongda to do it. In some cases it works and in some it doesn't. It all depends on the quality of the weld and the load. I was very gentle and never overloaded the motor, but still had failure.

Sorry for the dumb questions but it's a long thread and I couldn't find clear answers.

Do I need a particular controller or display to switch gears? I.e., can I use this motor with a cycle analyst and a standard controller? If so, how do you control changing gear? Is it different between the OEM and Luna models? I saw some people talking about automatic gear changes.. how's that work? Could I use Luna's version with their controller but with a CA instead of their display (so I can add a torque-sensor for PAS instead of a throttle)? Is anyone selling this motor laced into a wheel besides Luna? How does reliability compare to other hubs? Say, a Bafang? Does anyone have numbers I can use to enter it into ebike.ca's simulator? I assume I'd need two different sets of numbers for the high and low gears.

Thanks!

Thank you. So do people usually put a toggle switch on the handlebars and run a wire to the controller? Or is there a way to teach a CAv3 about that?

In most cases people use controllers that are aware of the Xiongda. In my case the controller selects the low gear range when I use the lowest PAS level, in all other levels it selects the high gear range. So I can control it with the PAS up/down buttons on the handlebar.

Note that the low gear is primarily for climbing steep hills, similar to the granny low in an old manual transmission. It is not really useful for accelerating and then shifting into higher gear. At least I would not use it that way. Shifting it from low gear into high gear while moving is fairly slow, and it may be hard on the clutch and gears. For best reliability I don't use it that way and don't think that is what is intended with the feature.

Whatever controller you do use, it should have fairly gentle onset of torque so it doesn't slam the clutch and gears. This is true for all gearmotors, but especially small ones.

Ron Paul's Blimp said:
Sorry for the dumb questions but it's a long thread and I couldn't find clear answers.

Do I need a particular controller or display to switch gears? I.e., can I use this motor with a cycle analyst and a standard controller? If so, how do you control changing gear? Is it different between the OEM and Luna models? I saw some people talking about automatic gear changes.. how's that work? Could I use Luna's version with their controller but with a CA instead of their display (so I can add a torque-sensor for PAS instead of a throttle)? Is anyone selling this motor laced into a wheel besides Luna? How does reliability compare to other hubs? Say, a Bafang? Does anyone have numbers I can use to enter it into ebike.ca's simulator? I assume I'd need two different sets of numbers for the high and low gears.

Thanks!
It will be infinitely more difficult to figure out different type of controller that will work with CA3 than just get Xiongda kit and have it laced in by a local bike shop. Also lacing wheel is fun.
With different controller, too many things can go wrong.
BTW: My motor after repair is working fine.
My 2 cents.

So if I wanted to use this with torque-sensing PAS, would my best bet be to use a cycle analyst with the Xiongda controller, and let the controller do automatic mode?

I am not familiar with the CA.
If the CA uses the signal from the torque sensor to send a corresponding signal to the throttle input of the controller, there is no reason not to install the switch that lets you choose between low, high and automatic I suppose.

I think that's how it works, yeah. It synthesizes the PAS setting you set on the CA, and the torque signal and produces a throttle input to the controller. Does the kit come with a low/high/auto switch?

Back