LMX P2 : Freeride trials motorcycle frame development

brumbrum said:
Or maaan! I want some stickers on mine.

They do make the bike look really nice! Turns it from a custom fab looking piece of aluminum, to a beautiful machine!

Adam has ordered in some 14t sprockets for the lmx motor. I will be trying this soon with a 100t rear sprocket from eBay. This will give a slightly lower gearing ratio of approx 7.2:1 instead of the original 7.8:1 With the idea of reducing some noise from the original 12t front sprocket. The lmx161 noise is not too bad as long as the chain is well lubed. I am using chainsaw oil at present which is like treacle but does need constant re-application. Calming the front sprocket noise is the main aim

brumbrum said:
Adam has ordered in some 14t sprockets for the lmx motor. I will be trying this soon with a 100t rear sprocket from eBay. This will give a slightly lower gearing ratio of approx 7.2:1 instead of the original 7.8:1 With the idea of reducing some noise from the original 12t front sprocket. The lmx161 noise is not too bad as long as the chain is well lubed. I am using chainsaw oil at present which is like treacle but does need constant re-application. Calming the front sprocket noise is the main aim

I use to have the previous #520 chain in the LMX , that WAS 10x louder than 219
have you tried a #219 O-ring chain ? there is less friction so might have less noise

maitilupas said:
brumbrum said:

I use to have the previous #520 chain in the LMX , that WAS 10x louder than 219
have you tried a #219 O-ring chain ? there is less friction so might have less noise

Yes, An 'O ring' sealed chain is own my list. once i measure up chain length with the new sprockets i can then get correct size. Every little helps.

With larger chains Rule of thumb is usually 3 rear teeth’s equals 1 at the front .
Not sure how is it with 219 ,
But 3 more at the front will take maybe 9 at rear , but as Adam says we now have more amps there’s really no need for huge sprockets you can control this nicely with the controller so we can adjust the best chain setting to be as reliable as possible and less noisy as possible too

woudlnt also make sense now to re use the #520 . if using bigger front sprocket? im more confident with those chains specialy for the lenght we are using ( 200 links or so )

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
420 pitch (pit bike) chain should be plenty strong .. 520 chain would be heavier and probably overkill IMO..

ouch :D indeed #420 CORRECTION, actually lmx used #415 !

Thanks,
I really like trials riding, we will work on some kit to improve trials ergonomics and performance in the future.
Also we have a new video in preparation with Aurelien Fontenoy, 3x MTB trials champion :

P1000189-MP4_snapshot_00-19_[2018-11-15_19-46-42].jpg

340.jpg

Awesome video clip.

I'm putting my lmx161 up for sale if anyone is interested. Message me. Here's the link to the advert... https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=101593

Andrew

brumbrum said:
I am using chainsaw oil at present which is like treacle but does need constant re-application. Calming the front sprocket noise is the main aim
Putoline Chain Wax is by far the best chain lube I've ever used.
Used to use another version of the same thing 40 years ago!
Stays on, lasts for ages, seems to quieten the chain a bit.

Buy an old electric frypan, chuck it all in that and it's pretty simple to lube a chain - as long as you have a master link.
On my 300cc ICE trials bike I lube the chain when I change oil @ 10-15 hours. 70 hours and I've just moved the chain adjusters the 2nd click. When using sprays etc. I used to move it a click every 10-20 hours.

Tried chainsaw oil - messy and no better than anything else I'd tried.

Back