How To, 50A BBSHD Controller Mod

Has anyone had any success with higher voltage? I did the shunt mod with my BBSHD Controller but have just received another one I ordered. Thinking of doing the 100v mods with caps and fets and building a cheap lipo pack for it. Did anyone end up replacing the psu chip?

Couchy, I have some thoughts on 100 V, as it might not be that difficult to do.
First, I'd measure the voltage on the psu chip's Vcc voltage. If we're in luck, it's the same as displayed on the display (Vdrop mod). If not, it sees the pack voltage. I figure it's not the end of the world then, since I would try to do another Vdrop mod, this time for the psu chip.
The chip/logic power draw might be so small that a simple zener diode could suffice. - Fechter, what you think?
Next time I pull the controller apart I'll trace the traces/connections on the controller board anyway to get an idea. 👍

Hi guys,
I had an accident removing the pot of my second BBSHD and loose a component.

Some one can say me the value of that resistor ?

It looks it's write 512 that means 5100 Ohm.

Can some one confirm this?

Or it's 572 taht means 5700Ohm?

Regards

Enric

Andrewol said:
What about other smd passive and active components on the pcb? Are they 100V rated?
No, they are 80v rated but the MCU shuts down at around 63v, so the rest of the stuff has to be fed with a lower voltage. Only the main caps and FETs need the full voltage.

We can't be sure for smd caps. 63V is a standard rating voltage for them, while 80V isn't. Smd transistors, diodes should be rated 90V or higher. All of the stuff on the pcb should receive full voltage potential unless there are components in the circuit set to maintain it at lower range. Btw, you could measure the components voltage manually on pcb to be 100% sure. I still hasn't bought my BBSHD yet.

Saw this on youtube !! Nice!

[youtube]z_5RlBvoNoA[/youtube]

Shunt mod at 30:00.

Matador

Yeah, I’ve tried to get him to reveal more given therepairs he’s done. No luck yet...

Andrewol said:
We can't be sure for smd caps. 63V is a standard rating voltage for them, while 80V isn't. Smd transistors, diodes should be rated 90V or higher. All of the stuff on the pcb should receive full voltage potential unless there are components in the circuit set to maintain it at lower range. Btw, you could measure the components voltage manually on pcb to be 100% sure. I still hasn't bought my BBSHD yet.

The two main caps are rated for 63v and go directly across the battery input. Pretty much everything else goes through the display and then to a voltage regulator on the main board. As long as the feed going to the display stays under 63v, everything downstream will be fine.

There are some small SMD MLCC caps across the power bus and ones between the phase wires and ground. They have no markings. To be sure, you would want to upgrade those too.

Perhaps someone would be willing to make a schematic (some kind of reverse engineering) for controller pcb, than we will know for sure if everything else goes through the display and then to a voltage regulator on the main board. I would do it if I had the board.
Fechter, have you tried your transistor Vdrop mod?
E-mil, do you have any updates in checking the psu chip's Vcc voltage is it the same as display or pack voltage?

Andrewol said:
Fechter, have you tried your transistor Vdrop mod?

No, but somebody else did it to run 72v. They used a simple TVS diode.

Reverse engineering the entire board would be very time consuming. I have reverse engineered the important parts of it using a dead one (cadaver study).

Anyone know how to sort this out what resistor i need to change. passed from pillar to post someone saying firmware and someone else saying new controller. it stops showing error 07 at about 57.5v but it winds me up having to drain my battery to that every time. tried asking luna and there was a wall placed right in front of that because i bought from china. also i have the dpc18 if that changes anything. i have tried settings via a usb ftdi no joy. also i have a microscope and rework station so the small stuff is fine for me.
cheers in advanced

Attachments

• IMG_20190504_204144.jpg
    IMG_20190504_204144.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 3,555
Cbisbaf said:
it stops showing error 07 at about 57.5v but it winds me up having to drain my battery to that every time.

Dang, you're pretty close. Just needs about another volt or so. I would just use some regular diodes in series with the display power line. Something like a 1N4004. Two in series would drop it by about 1.4v so would allow you to fully charge the pack and still run. You could try it with one diode first and see if that is enough.

Diode would go in series with the brown wire going from the controller to the display. This can be installed anywhere between the motor and display. I would personally install it in the controller. You can dig the potting out around the main cap and get to the brown wire there.

BBSHD unpotted Display Power Line.jpg

Cbisbaf said:
Anyone know how to sort this out what resistor i need to change. passed from pillar to post someone saying firmware and someone else saying new controller. it stops showing error 07 at about 57.5v but it winds me up having to drain my battery to that every time. tried asking luna and there was a wall placed right in front of that because i bought from china. also i have the dpc18 if that changes anything. i have tried settings via a usb ftdi no joy. also i have a microscope and rework station so the small stuff is fine for me.
cheers in advanced
It's likely a firmware issue if a new motor.

its about a week old do i need one of them besst connectors for that? if that's the case then its getting 2 diodes haha thank you for helpful responses its took me 2 days to find some genuine people :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I suppose there's a chance that it's just programmed for a 48v battery and you could fix it with a programming cable and the software. You might try to find someone in your area that has one you can borrow. I don't know how to tell the pack voltage programming without the cable.

If you put diodes in the line to drop the voltage, keep in mind your display voltage will read lower than actual by a fixed amount.

fechter said:
I suppose there's a chance that it's just programmed for a 48v battery and you could fix it with a programming cable and the software. You might try to find someone in your area that has one you can borrow. I don't know how to tell the pack voltage programming without the cable.

If you put diodes in the line to drop the voltage, keep in mind your display voltage will read lower than actual by a fixed amount.
i would like to try the software route first do you think its possible with a ftdi or does it need to be the bafang besst tool

Here's the latest firmware for the BBSHD btw. that fixes the overvolt error: https://i.botox.bz/CRR10E5228E1050221_190418.bin

Edit: Okay, I just tried with the Bafang BESST Software and a CP2102 UART Dongle and wasn't able to get any response from the motor, the BafangConfigTool works fine but BESST can't connect to the motor at all.

I think the motor firmware gets flashed though a connector on the board, not the cable. I've never done it though.
A ftdi board is the same as the Bafang tool as far as I know. You just need to wire a connector for it.

BotoXbz said:
Here's the latest firmware for the BBSHD btw. that fixes the overvolt error: https://i.botox.bz/CRR10E5228E1050221_190418.bin

Edit: Okay, I just tried with the Bafang BESST Software and a CP2102 UART Dongle and wasn't able to get any response from the motor, the BafangConfigTool works fine but BESST can't connect to the motor at all.
Will give it a go tonight when I get home from work. What chip is on the board might reach out to some of my quadcopter palls and see if they can conjure up some open source software. I have already had a cable plugged in and used the Luna/ penoff software is that what we are calling the besst software. Also from experience firmware is upgraded by forcing the chip into boot mode then flashing. Can't be done through normal connection. In that case an ftdi will only work then.

I upped one of my controllers to 45A using the shunt mod and I've been running it for a month now with no issues. Pulled board, soldered another 5 MOHM resistor and added some thermal paste between the mosfets and the cover plate.

The controller does seem to run a bit hotter but nothing crazy. The motor as well but even less so. This seems like a very stable modification.

Hi.

Can you guys please tell me what is the microcontroller on the motor controller board?? I saw that there are connections for 3 halls sensors from the motor + the connections of the 3 phases.

You may know I started the project for OpenSource firmware to mid drive TSDZ2 motor and our firmware is amazing (feedback from the users) and I wonder how hard would be to make for Bafang BSSHD.

I also started the OpenSource firmware for Bafang 850C color display as also the SW102/EggRider Bluetooth LCD and they work very well pairing with our firmware running on TSDZ2.

Maybe a torque sensor could be added to Bafang BSSHD, that could be strain gauge added to each pedal and communication y Bluetooth to SW102 display that would then send the cadence and torque sensor signal to Bafang BSSHD motor controller running our firmware ---- maybe this is to crazy and complex to do

What is the motor max RPM? On TSDZ2 is 4000 RPMS.

Back