Just had an earthquake in Los Angeles

We don't get too many down here but a 6.9 happened in '68 in a town 80 miles away that near destroyed that town, my brother was on the dunny at the time and he thought it was a result of his larting off

Attachments

• MECKERING ANNIVERSARY 052a.jpg
    MECKERING ANNIVERSARY 052a.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3,718
markz said:
Never felt an earthquake in my life.

Surprise!
Earthquake_Risk_Canada_01.gif

:wink:

markz said:
Never felt an earthquake in my life.

You haven't missed much, while people who come out here and experience their first might freak over a weak one. Locals will start insisting the ground shook for "2 minutes" while the official report will be 17 seconds and the like.

This one rolled me around for about 10 seconds....anybody else feel it?

:D

LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
A 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck near Channel Islands off the Southern California coast on Thursday, shaking large swaths of SoCal.

The temblor struck around 12:29 p.m. PT around 17.4 miles southwest of Santa Cruz Island, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"Largest earthquake in several years" per LA Times...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-channel-islands-20180405-story.html

The L.A. area feels an earthquake of this magnitude on average about once a year, Vidale said.

There is a 1-in-20 chance that Thursday's quake will lead to a larger one in the next few weeks, he said. But, more than likely, smaller aftershocks that may not even be felt will follow, he said.

( John Vidale, director of the Southern California Earthquake Center at USC.)

safe_image.php

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Southern California Seismic Network: a cooperative project of
U.S. Geological Survey, Pasadena California
Caltech Seismological Laboratory, Pasadena, California

Version #4: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event. This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

A light earthquake occurred at 4:49:33 AM (PDT) on Tuesday, May 8, 2018.
The magnitude 4.5 event occurred 11 km (7 miles) N (3 degrees) of Cabazon, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 14 km ( 9 miles).

Woke us up, lasted ahout 15 seconds. :shock:
Centered about 40 miles from here, felt none of the dozen or so aftershocks.

I'm up by Disneyland and was awake feeling it, no big deal. But I'm surprised it was so far away and I felt a 4.5 here. It occurs to me that maybe earthquakes help the ground compact after the retaining wall construction behind me that so destablized my backyard. I wonder if I'll live to see the dirt settle.

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/ci37527826.html :shock:
Just rattled some of the pictures on the wall.
Oh,and made Oliver bark. :roll:

Home

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Southern California Seismic Network: a cooperative project of
U.S. Geological Survey, Pasadena California
Caltech Seismological Laboratory, Pasadena, California

Version #5: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event. This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

A minor earthquake occurred at 9:12:24 AM (PST) on Sunday, February 10, 2019.
The magnitude 3.6 event occurred 8 km (5 miles) SE of Valle Vista, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 17 km (10 miles).

Magnitude 3.6 - local magnitude (Ml)
Time Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 9:12:24 AM (PST)
Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 17:12:24 (UTC)
Distance from Valle Vista, CA - 8 km (5 miles) SE (130 degrees)
Idyllwild, CA - 11 km (7 miles) WSW (248 degrees)
Hemet, CA - 14 km (9 miles) ESE (111 degrees)
San Jacinto, CA - 15 km (9 miles) SE (127 degrees)
Anza, CA - 22 km (14 miles) NW (319 degrees)
Coordinates 33 deg. 42.2 min. N (33.703N), 116 deg. 49.8 min. W (116.829W)
Depth 16.62 km (10.3 miles)
Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst=107, Nph=128, Dmin=8.3 km, Rmss=0.19 sec, Erho=0.22 km, Erzz=0.46 km, Gp=24 degrees
Event ID# ci37527826
Additional Information map || waveforms
Did You Feel It?
First Motion Focal Mechanism
Shakemap

For more information, see http://earthquake.usgs.gov

[ Index map || big earthquake list || all earthquake list || glossary of terms || top page ]
[ Did you feel it? || ShakeMaps || Relative2Me ]
[ Data Sources || Contacts ]

3.6 doesn't sound big until it breaks directly underneath you. Then again, when something like a 7 breaks underneath the building you are in and the walls and ceilings start crumbling around you and the floor is violently bouncing up and down like a possessed trampoline, well, I would never want to go through that again.

:shock: :bolt:

Gosh, you guys get a lot of earthquakes. Gotta blame Al Gore and his Global Warming/Fracking while everyone in L.A. drives them humongous gas guzzling suv's and breathing in all that smog, while the illegal's spew out 2 stroke smoke trimming the lawns for frontal appeal while the house residents are shooting up carfentanyl in the backyard hiding in the bush at the corner of the fence, paranoid because of the many helicopters in the air shooting the latest car chase, while the rest of us around the world and in Canada are hoping for another February 28, 1997 "North Hollywood Shootout" or the 1995 San Diego Tank chase to watch on Youtube drinking our Molson Canadian which aint owned by Canadians no more but who cares, drinking for the taste pfffffffft says who

markz said:
Gosh, you guys get a lot of earthquakes. .....

Yep, tectonic plates been moving in California since before the Chinese took over the place some 65,000 years ago. Oh, and before the European encroachment. Not to mention French California but then again nobody thinks about that much. And sorry about your Molson's, but Coors is just as bad so give me a Dutch lager any day. In any case one has to admit, for live entertainment things sure can get lively around here.

:D :bolt:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-california-shake-quake-20190704-story.html

An 6.6 magnitude earthquake struck Southern California Thursday, shaking a widespread area.

The quake was centered in the Searles Valley, a remote area of San Bernardino.

It was unclear of the temblor caused major damage or injuries.

It was the most powerful quake to hit Southern California in years.

Out there, I guess it shuck up the salt flats...... :lol:

Edit: Been adjusted down to a 6.4.

:D :bolt:

Just had an earthquake in BC out in the ocean, SW of Bella Bella, mag 6.5'ish, no big deal, no warnings, no tsunamis.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2019/07/04/bc-earthquakes-strike-coast/

Just had another one.... In the same place.... 11 miles from Ridgecrest, CA. Early reports is that it was 7.1.

7 or more on the Richter scale is a MONSTER!!!

If it is right underneath you, the ground is whipping up and down like a possessed trampoline! Buildings crack and collapse. Nothing stays on a shelf. Some report feeling it as far away as Phoenix Arizona. (How about it Amber Wolf? Did you feel it?)

That one was big!!!

Edit: re-reported as an 6.9.....Still huge!!! Still a MONSTER!!!

USGS still says it was a 7.1
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci38457511/executive

I couldn't say if I felt it or not, the dogs have been going in and out of the bedroom trampling the bed for the last couple hours, at least. The dogquakes are more intense....

Last one I know for sure I felt here that was from there was a couple decades ago. (was on an office chair on wheels in front of a rackmount cabinet on wheels, and everything scooted around the floor--nothing else it could've been but a quake).

Needless to say, it was quite intense in the Tustin (about halfway between LA and San Diego). area.

Back