GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

SlowCo said:
Ecyclist said:
Give yourself a favor and don't buy gear driven version of this drive. I'm not saying that chain drive is going to work well, but I'm saying that geared type will not for sure. You need very solid structure to use gear drive and you will never have that much rigidity on the bike. That's why everyone is using chains and belts. Trust me on that one. You can thank me later. :)

How can you predict that? The unit itself with the controller bolted between the brackets/ mounting plates makes everything very stiff/rigid. And the coarse and wide tooth profile makes sure that a little misalignment with the low rpm's at the crank doesn't matter too much. At least that is how I view the design.
With over 30 years experience in mechanical engineering I should now something. For me this is as obvious as black and white, but hay it's your money. :roll:

Ecyclist said:
With over 30 years experience in mechanical engineering I should now something. For me this is as obvious as black and white, but hay it's your money. :roll:

Not doubting anyone's experience or knowledge and I do agree that the design for a gearbox would indeed be better with both sides of the gears supported and aligned by bearings in a stronger "box"... :wink:
So my money would be on the left hand mid drive design in the other thread but with a karting chain if I would purchase this drive/motor.

important measurements for the chain drive. You should have a good idea of fit and make your plans with spacers if needed. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2473403469342531&set=p.2473403469342531&type=3&theater

[youtube]6eaxGTSb4Fg[/youtube]

( i edited your post to make the video inline -neptronix )

CYC (GNG) are now selling an upgraded Cyclone 3000w. They changed some bearings, freewheel, mount, etc.. The gears might be metal too.

Price is way lower and some of the components are shared between the X1.

https://www.gngebike.com/gng-2019-3000w

Also, since the cyclone 4000w motor is the same thing but a 30% wider stator section, they said if there is enough interest they will do mounts and upgrades for that one too.

Tommm said:
CYC (GNG) are now selling an upgraded Cyclone 3000w. They changed some bearings, freewheel, mount, etc.. The gears might be metal too.

Also, since the cyclone 4000w motor is the same thing but a 30% wider stator section, they said if there is enough interest they will do mounts and upgrades for that one too.

The x1 looks way nicer for not much more. Also, the integrated controller seems like a big benefit. How does the weight compare?

n2mb said:
The x1 looks way nicer for not much more. Also, the integrated controller seems like a big benefit. How does the weight compare?

Probably unfavorably :D It is because the cyclone develops the same power at ~50% of the RPM, so it needs more motor mass to do it. If you already have a controller, it gets more interesting.
Usually the main problems for the cyclone were the low grade freewheel, Chinesium cranks that bend, and mounts that flex.

Going to be a good year for mid drives either way.

Btw, at facebook page GNG says CYC Motor is their partner company.
Gng 3000w new cyclone kit is more efficient, almost 90%. Is that real number for mid-drive?

Andrewol said:
Btw, at facebook page GNG says CYC Motor is their partner company.
Gng 3000w new cyclone kit is more efficient, almost 90%. Is that real number for mid-drive?

Most of the numbers are taken off cyclone's site, they are the usual exaggerated Chinese stuff. The hardware itself is solid though, single stage would be a real winner here, too.

Tommm,

I did not buy the older version of the 3000w because of what it was like , I could see it needed the improvements it now has , and would have added to the cost since I would have had to have someone make the parts for me .

This new version is worthy of it's own thread. ( the last 5 posts now about it on the X1 Pro thread )

Ask one of the Moderators here on E.S. to move all the last 5 + posts , now with mine here to you as well, to a new thread,
Subject heading ...

CYC ( GNG ) are now selling an upgraded Cyclone 3000w

I ask one of the Moderators to do this , as this improved version is worthy of it's own thread.

Tommm said:

ScooterMan101 said:
I ask one of the Moderators to do this , as this improved version is worthy of it's own thread.
[...]
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98940&p=1448645#p1448645

LexHammer said:
Remi812 said:

Did you tested the motor? How is it? What battery?
There are some videos in the thread on Facebook. Tony tested it with a 12s lipo and 120a ESC. It sounds like it's a beast! Awesome so far. Hearing that, I decided to get a Luna 14s Wolfpack to power mine. I was originally thinking that I needed 20s, but I also heard from the manufacturer that the 20s controller is a little bit louder and has a black and white screen. They think the 14s controller is better. They are currently testing whether the 14s controller can be used with a 16s battery as well. It should be rated up to 80 volts.

Just ordered mine after seeing what this kit is capable of. I am currently running a cyclone 3000W at 20S and 60amp so I didn't want to downgrade in power.

[youtube]-rZ8Zw3j6Ck[/youtube]

[youtube]uTWYlcUYg2Y[/youtube]

n2mb said:
LexHammer said:
Remi812 said:

Did you tested the motor? How is it? What battery?
There are some videos in the thread on Facebook. Tony tested it with a 12s lipo and 120a ESC. It sounds like it's a beast! Awesome so far. Hearing that, I decided to get a Luna 14s Wolfpack to power mine. I was originally thinking that I needed 20s, but I also heard from the manufacturer that the 20s controller is a little bit louder and has a black and white screen. They think the 14s controller is better. They are currently testing whether the 14s controller can be used with a 16s battery as well. It should be rated up to 80 volts.
Why not using the orignal controller? 20s 65A? And if the videos, you are refering to are the 2 videos on their FB page.. .they show almost noting.

The two videos above.

There are two options for the stock controller. The 20s one is noisier and has a black and white screen. The 14s one is color and quieter.

Perhaps motor set a bit noisier with 20S controller due to higher rpm than with 16S. First 20S controller should have an advantage over the 16S being more efficient, as always with higher voltage and lower amps. Cyc promise to update 20S display in a future.

Not that the default BBS screen or the CA 3are color displays... :) So as long as it shows the same info, I dont really care for color. I need somebody to make video with 20s and 60A to see the full power of the motor.

Hmm 20s vs less noise but more torque-strain, lets say compared to 14s. It seems like the community consensus is 20s for these kits, but is there anyone here that went lower just to reduce the noise? I'm planning a 20s build with this kit (or perhaps the cyclone), but I might reconsider if I can go more stealth at +/- 14s (even thought it will demand more from the drivetrain and controller). It seems like this kit might be a bit noisier than the cyclone too, considering less material and steel planetary gears as mentioned previously in the thread.

Its almost mid march. Still nobody has the motor with the default controler and screen so he can say how the motor performs?

finally I found some time for filming and editing:
https://youtu.be/YkjWWj9loX4

After a few improvemts in firmware and few testrides we compared it to the BBSHD with shut mod. Pretty impressive for his size and definetely more torque!

Back