GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

Has anyone recieved any updates about the x1? CYC said on their website they would get their final stock mid march but it seems that it's going to take longer.

Yes, they said that 72v controllers are not ready yet. Engines are ready and can be sent seperately. Mine engine was sent out to me 2 days ago.

I haven’t found a metal option for a PF30 to threaded BSA adapter. I was also concerned about running 3000W through it. Anyone here have experience with this?

fire7 said:
I haven’t found a metal option for a PF30 to threaded BSA adapter. I was also concerned about running 3000W through it. Anyone here have experience with this?

https://www.google.fi/search?q=FSA%20PF30%20Threaded%20Adapter%20B3167
This adapter is somewhat permanent. Very tight press fit, and supplied with locking compound. I doubt it would ever loosen up.

fire7 said:

Running 3000w through an adapter... even a good one.. does not seem like a good idea. You want as little movement as possible in that bottom bracket.. because high power mid drives can destroy bottom brackets and chainstays on some bikes.. an additional 1mm of slack would make it more likely you'd see that kind of failure on your bike frame.

I would chose another frame or perhaps another kind of drive. Even the most finely machined adapter will add a little play into the whole system.. and with anything that holds torque, you want a ridiculously tight coupling.

better to have somebody with a lathe. The axle and the thread have about 0,2 mm difference, which gets bigger and bigger with every acceleration. A thread is never that strong than a even metal. There are plenty of adapter for the BBSHD, you can use them. But the motor will be pressed to the adapter only and the adapter has to be fixed somehow in the frame, otherwise it falls down. Glued with epoxy or screwed. Pressfit is usually 41 mm and BSA 33,5 mm – you have 3,75 mm to fix it with some screws.
See also the video here:
https://fasterbikes.eu/en/parts/245-bafang-bbshd-adapter-for-pressfit-bb92-with-triangle-mounting-plate-locking-bbparts.html

PaulD said:
fire7 said:

https://www.google.fi/search?q=FSA%20PF30%20Threaded%20Adapter%20B3167
This adapter is somewhat permanent. Very tight press fit, and supplied with locking compound. I doubt it would ever loosen up.

I am running this adapter on my aluminum hard tail. No motor mounted yet, but as paul mentioned it is a press fit, and is generally sold with a small vial of locking compound on the mating surfaces. Ive used these on other pedal bikes with no issue. Its an interference fit, and one needs the equivalent of a headset press to install it properly. Never attempted on a carbon bb though.

Does anybody know how to implement battery temperature monitoring in this set, like it's done with motor temperature?

Andrewol said:
Does anybody know how to implement battery temperature monitoring in this set, like it's done with motor temperature?
Some bms's are bluetooth and have a temp readout in their app. Others have a thermistor with a cutoff at a certain temp and no bluetooth. Personally, I'm probably going to epoxy a thermistor to my cells and plug it in to my cycle analyst 3, since I originally got it for a cyclone kit before i knew about the x1 and it's better than just using it to measure the temperature outside lol.

Also, just got some pics of the 72V display.
o8i0YKy.jpg

I am interested in this mid drive mainly because of its weight. Can somebody advise the weight of your version received?

According to the manual from the CYC website, the display and app can show the speed. But the speed is related to the no. of teeth of the rear gear that is being used. How can they know that to calculate and show the speed?

burner77 said:
better to have somebody with a lathe. The axle and the thread have about 0,2 mm difference, which gets bigger and bigger with every acceleration. A thread is never that strong than a even metal. There are plenty of adapter for the BBSHD, you can use them. But the motor will be pressed to the adapter only and the adapter has to be fixed somehow in the frame, otherwise it falls down. Glued with epoxy or screwed. Pressfit is usually 41 mm and BSA 33,5 mm – you have 3,75 mm to fix it with some screws.
See also the video here:
https://fasterbikes.eu/en/parts/245-bafang-bbshd-adapter-for-pressfit-bb92-with-triangle-mounting-plate-locking-bbparts.html

I order this http://www.ebay.com/i/301825746922?var=600635071535 bb92 to bsa adapter. How should I secure the adapters into my press fit frame? I'm quite sure it'll twist under torque.

tmho said:
I am interested in this mid drive mainly because of its weight. Can somebody advise the weight of your version received?

According to the manual from the CYC website, the display and app can show the speed. But the speed is related to the no. of teeth of the rear gear that is being used. How can they know that to calculate and show the speed?

I have not recived my motor yet so can't say anything about the weight. They use a speed sensor on the rear wheel. You can find a install video on Youtube, just search for CYC X1 PRO.

Electricglider said:
tmho said:

I have not recived my motor yet so can't say anything about the weight. They use a speed sensor on the rear wheel. You can find a install video on Youtube, just search for CYC X1 PRO.
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, I overlooked that. They use a speed sensor similar to the regular bike computer on the rear wheel.

I have a 20s version on order to put on my downhill bike.

I'm wondering if the 7 speed chain can handle 5kw when hitting full throttle with the X1 Pro.

Do any of you guys run a complete 219h chain setup?

Glennn said:
I have a 20s version on order to put on my downhill bike.

I'm wondering if the 7 speed chain can handle 5kw when hitting full throttle with the X1 Pro.

Do any of you guys run a complete 219h chain setup?

My friend does. Just ask cyc to ship 219h cogs on both sides of the chainring holder and an extra 219h cog for the rear hub. They are all bcd104.

Then for the rear you can use one of these, and an extra set of chainring bolts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/104-BCD-chainring-to-Shimano-SRAM-freehub-expander-adapter-6mm-aluminium/254170961934?pageci=c8407d9d-ac0a-4930-b0a3-33933de6b149

You can also use a single speed hub as the inner holes of the cyc 219h cogs are standards freewheel holes.

I would recommend 12t on motor, 53t/53t front and 63 or 72t rear depending on top speed preferrence.

You will need a single speed 219h cog/roller to pick up chain slack, or adapt your derallieur. Standard cage screw is m5x12 on shimano, so m5x20 or 25 bolts would let you fit a wide enough cog/roller.

If you manage to adapt your derallieur, you could even keep 2 speeds for low/high speed gears and put a 72t and 53t cog on your rear adapter. (Cyc make 72/63/53 tooth 219 cogs, where 72 is about the size of 47t bike cog and 53 219 is 33t bike cog size.

Very usefull information Tommm, thank you.

I would indeed like to have 2 (or 3) gears but I was not aware if the chain itself was up to it. I thought maybe it was to stiff to have it not run in a straight line but this won't be the case? In my current cyclone 3000 build I'm also switching between 2 gears and I find it a necessity as higher gearing makes less nois for cruising on public roads.

I will be a challenge to somehow alter a derailleur to be able to make it work but I guess that's part of the fun.

Glennn said:
I would indeed like to have 2 (or 3) gears but I was not aware if the chain itself was up to it. I thought maybe it was to stiff to have it not run in a straight line but this won't be the case?

The two gears would be as close as possible without any interference, so the chain would only need to flex 1/3 the amount of a multi speed one.
I think it is doable. My friend is doing a full 219 setup on a cargo bike, and I'm doing a beefy single speed chain(connex 1e8) setup with 2/3 gears, the 219 is only about 10% bigger.

Mounting them you would need extra long chainring screws.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cro-Mo-Bike-Chainring-Bolts-3-Lengths-Pack-of-5-SKU737-/401388961516
With the single speed setup there is a benefit of keeping derallieur cogs(cage still needs to be widened) and I can use regular bcd 104 chainrings (30/52) on the same rear adaptor, instead of the specialized cyc bcd104 219h cogs.

What gearing is everyone choosing?
12/72 42t chainring
11/63T 38t chainring
11/53T 32t chainring

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=840589686287795&id=559486201064813&__tn__=-R

What would give best pedaling cadence?

Go with the largest ones for durability if your frame can accommodate them. Cadence will be most manageable with the big ones as well but keep in mind at any higher power level you won't be pedaling with this motor.

anttipaa said:
What gearing is everyone choosing?

11/53 because my frame won't allow anything bigger. Be aware though that without getting an aftermarket chainring, the two smaller versions will have around 95% of the top speed of the 12/72 due to the reduction ratio.

I'm still waiting on cyc to send me a shipment notification for the 72v version.

Power = torque * rpm

You want low torque for drivetrain longevity, but high rpm to correct for it and deliver plenty of power. So 11/53 or even 12/53 with a 32t on the bike chain side instead of the default (bcd 104) 42t front would be ideal. You would still get the desired wheel torque by choosing proper sized rear cogs (high teeth count).
To go along with this a 72v pack (higher motor rpm), with the amp set as desired.

Back