Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Offroader said:
Most of the expensive forks are air sprung, which supposedly are not as good as coil but are lighter and probably more expensive.

We really don't have many options right now at all for quality coil forks in 26". Most coils are only offered in 27.5" now.

Have you seen the guy who put fox 40s on? It might have been the 29" version because the head angle got stupidly low. The stock fork looked like a kids bike fork next to it. Best to stick with 26".

Jasonjm said:
i tried my luck at the chinese website to find the higher seat, but my chinese is just not good enough, got lost trying to navigate to wherever it might be hiding.

I have moved mine 5.5” back and 3.5” up. All bolt on, no modifications to the bike itself. It’s quite ugly, but functional for me. All supplies purchased at Home Depot. I’m not able to upload a picture here, but I bolt two Long strips of metal where the seat attaches to and extended off the back. Then used shelving brackets to raise it up and bolts the seat to them.

Jasonjm said:
can someone help me here. is the sur ron mx more like a mx bike or more like a mountain bike?

i was all set on buying an alta redshift, then they went out of business.

then i stumbled upon this bike, the sur ron.

but to me it looks more like a mountain bike, with squishy brakes, fork and tires? since i used to downhill MTB the rate at which i used to go through brakepads, tires and forks killed that sport for me, it was more expensive than owning a mx bike. and i hated pedaling.

also this sur ron looks tiny. how big is it? since im 6ft3

Jason,

I'm 6ft2 and the cockpit is slightly cramped. After your first ride you adapt and you don't even notice it. The Sur Ron feels more like a small mx bike. Mountain bikes have a much more top heavy feeling because of the frame geometry they use.

There is a wide single track just north of Santa Clarita. It climbs 1060ft in 1.5 miles and this guy riding a KTM530 does it in ~5:35 after deducting for his stall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOk4BVawcic Another guy does the same trail on a XR400 ~5:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7eGWotwhJw

My Sur Ron hauls my 200lb butt up the same, but more degraded, trail in ~5:30. The only changes from stock are taller handlebars and a 52t sprocket. I can post the video if anyone wants to see it.

The Sur Ron is a monster on single track.

Very nice, took my bike out for the first real ride since December since the weather was finally nice.

One thing I do notice is the bike is pretty loud. People will definitely think you are riding around a gas powered bike, its pretty damn loud and everyone looks. Hopefully the belt drive will help with this. I wonder if it is loud enough to slowly do hearing damage.

Bike still amazes me how easily it can climb stairs, its like you are going up a steep hill and not stairs. I still cringe before going up stairs because I think back to how difficult it was doing it with my hub motor bike.

Bike is also amazing at slow speed riding through woods, like at 5MPH (walking speed) when you have to keep maneuvering around bushes, trees, and other stuff on the ground in deep woods off the trails.

I'm tempted to take it out for a 2nd ride today just to do some stair riding.

8KayCay.jpg

Offroader said:
One thing I do notice is the bike is pretty loud. People will definitely think you are riding around a gas powered bike, its pretty damn loud and everyone looks. Hopefully the belt drive will help with this. I wonder if it is loud enough to slowly do hearing damage.

You can pick up one of these Quiet Ride helmets if you are concerned about your hearing while riding. I bought one to use for my regular dirt bikes and it works fantastic. Has earmuffs on the inside that you can adjust with just a few pumps and it goes from just a tiny bit of noise reduction to a ton of noise reduction - almost like you are wearing shooting earmuffs. Then you can release the air with one button and it goes back open again instantly. http://www.quietridehelmets.com/

madin88 said:
ziltoid81 said:
Maybe 2 chains would be better.
We don't know until someone measures the consumption of the motor alone.
Belt drives can have quite high loss without load (around 3-4% maximum), but under load it usually outperforms the chaindrive.
I don't know exactly why this is the case, but it might have something to do with the higher tension of the belt (which is contraproductive at no-load).

What was the no-load speed of the 60V surron (in kmh)?

Could be due to no friction compared to all the friction created with rollers on the chain.

fechter said:
I finally got some instrumentation installed on mine:
Img_0964.jpg

Cycle Analyst is tied in now, but only measures the current going to the controller and not the dc-dc converter. I found the switched pack voltage line coming from the key and picked up one of the hall sensor signals for speed. I'm still sort of getting things dialed in, but the numbers are interesting. I wasn't trusting the current numbers at first so I borrowed a freshly calibrated Fluke Y8100 to verify the shunt calibration. It was off by about 3%, so I corrected it.

With the rear wheel off the ground, full speed, I measured 12.3A. This seems pretty high, but maybe normal for this large of a motor. I'd like to try it with the belt removed sometime to compare.

Hard take off (current limiting) I measured 77A. Maybe my controller is 'hotter' than normal? It is the older trapezoidal style. The current limit seems to be very precise and it stays there until the speed picks up enough for the current to drop.

I'll do more measurements once I get all the wiring tucked in.

So it seems the battery will really be the limiting factor in how hard it can get pushed. I'm looking at the possibility of adding more battery in parallel to the stock pack. With some additional cells, I can take some of the load off the stock pack which will reduce the amount of sag and allow more of the capacity to be used. If I use a single port BMS and parallel the two packs, I can charge both packs at the same time from the stock charge port.

Can confirm that it is around that.
Here is the stats with wheel off the ground doing 80km/h
View attachment 1

And here is motor only(belt and chain removed) att full throttle:

Around 300Watts goes to belt, chain and the wheel spin.

aspencreek said:
Offroader said:

You can pick up one of these Quiet Ride helmets if you are concerned about your hearing while riding. I bought one to use for my regular dirt bikes and it works fantastic. Has earmuffs on the inside that you can adjust with just a few pumps and it goes from just a tiny bit of noise reduction to a ton of noise reduction - almost like you are wearing shooting earmuffs. Then you can release the air with one button and it goes back open again instantly. http://www.quietridehelmets.com/

I know a lot of people don't seem to care about hearing loss but it is not something you really want and something that you can get very easily if you don't protect yourself. Even the wind noise from riding a bicycle is supposedly loud enough to cause hearing loss. Really, any loud noise will wear out and kill your hearing cells in your ear and hearing cells do not regenerate, once they die they die. You don't want to be that old guy who can't hear anything because their high frequency hearing is gone.

Makes me think about the wind noise when hitting speeds on an ebike over 40MPH, that is really loud.

While I can't really wear a full face helmet like the one in the link because it will draw too much attention I'm just going to try and reduce noise by going with the belt drive to reduce the chain noise, and also maybe getting some wind deflectors for my bicycle helmet.

I'm thinking something like this if this will help at all, I'm not really sure if it will do anything and the only way is using ear plugs.

http://www.slipstreamz.com/products/the-slip

I may use the sur-ron bike to commute to work about 10 miles each way and there is a lot of wind noise from hitting 30-50MPH, maybe this will help reduce it without having to deal with ear plugs.

Dunno about hearing loss, I used to shoot machine guns without hearing protection and listen to loud music and riding really loud bikes - my hearing is still perfect when tested. After all that, doubt that I will get hearing loss from e-bike rides.

Offroader said:
aspencreek said:
Offroader said:

I know a lot of people don't seem to care about hearing loss but it is not something you really want and something that you can get very easily if you don't protect yourself. Even the wind noise from riding a bicycle is supposedly loud enough to cause hearing loss. Really, any loud noise will wear out and kill your hearing cells in your ear and hearing cells do not regenerate, once they die they die. You don't want to be that old guy who can't hear anything because their high frequency hearing is gone.

Makes me think about the wind noise when hitting speeds on an ebike over 40MPH, that is really loud.

While I can't really wear a full face helmet like the one in the link because it will draw too much attention I'm just going to try and reduce noise by going with the belt drive to reduce the chain noise, and also maybe getting some wind deflectors for my bicycle helmet.

I'm thinking something like this if this will help at all, I'm not really sure if it will do anything and the only way is using ear plugs.

http://www.slipstreamz.com/products/the-slip

I may use the sur-ron bike to commute to work about 10 miles each way and there is a lot of wind noise from hitting 30-50MPH, maybe this will help reduce it without having to deal with ear plugs.

I noticed it is much quieter with a full face motorcycle helmet, rather than a bike helmet. Covering my ears blocks all the wind noise.

Also, check your chain tension and belt tension if the bike sounds loud. Especially since the x bike should have an O-ring chain that should reduce some of that noise.

sweet custom light bee on surron uk phasebook..
(not my bike or build)

56279946_392661227956128_8201146554568933376_n.jpg

highlights include raised seat strut adapter plates, taller battery for more power & range, aftermarket programmable controller, titanium skid plate..
ref :
https://m.facebook.com/surronebike/photos/a.226680104554242/392661224622795/

Beautiful hotrod Sur Ron!!!

Offroader said:
My X controller bike has no regen. Most all of the x controller bikes have no regen, I've heard of nobody who has regen on their bike.

My X Controller has regen. It was the first batch Luna sold. Luna is now separately selling the X Controller with regen:

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-model-x-sine-wave-controller/

Offroader said:

The Sur Ron makes a distinctly electric ziiiing sound.

People see me zooming around, and everyone that has asked about the Sur Ron has assumed it was electric. "Is that thing electric?" is the most common first comment/question, and the next is "That would be amazing for hunting". But I have never had even a single person ask if it's gas-powered or what type of engine it has. Since people around here are used to the scream of ICE dirtbikes, everyone has done nothing but marvel at how quiet it is - not one person has said: "dang your bike is loud".

aspencreek said:
You can pick up one of these Quiet Ride helmets if you are concerned about your hearing while riding.

I suppose there could be some places where that would be safe, but for me, it's critical to hear a rare vehicle coming - since they aren't going to hear me coming. :wink:

Allex said:
madin88 said:
ziltoid81 said:
Maybe 2 chains would be better.
We don't know until someone measures the consumption of the motor alone.
Belt drives can have quite high loss without load (around 3-4% maximum), but under load it usually outperforms the chaindrive.
I don't know exactly why this is the case, but it might have something to do with the higher tension of the belt (which is contraproductive at no-load).

What was the no-load speed of the 60V surron (in kmh)?

Could be due to no friction compared to all the friction created with rollers on the chain.

It's my understanding that chains are more efficient than timing belts, here are results from a test, the chain was 34.6% more efficient:
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/chain-or-belt-drive-which-is-faster-36074/

3DTOPO said:
Luna is now separately selling the X Controller with regen:

I don't think they have regen. I bought one, paid full price ($525) and it doesn't have regen. Also, very little increase in power over stock. Stock was 77 amps, X controller is 83 amps. It is slightly quieter.

It wasn't worth the work to remove it and send it back. If I had more time, maybe. But definitely wouldn't upgrade again.

n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:

I don't think they have regen. I bought one, paid full price ($525) and it doesn't have regen. Also, very little increase in power over stock. Stock was 77 amps, X controller is 83 amps. It is slightly quieter.

It wasn't worth the work to remove it and send it back. If I had more time, maybe. But definitely wouldn't upgrade again.

When did you order? The 2nd batch didn't have regen, but the page that links to clearly states:

The latest edition with regen braking

3DTOPO said:
n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:

When did you order? The 2nd batch didn't have regen, but the page that links to clearly states:

Luna confirmed that the newest ones DO have regen. They said in an email to me a few days ago "Sur-Ron only just introduced Regen back into their controllers about a month ago."

3DTOPO said:
n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:

The page said that when I ordered last year too....

n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:
n2mb said:
3DTOPO said:

The page said that when I ordered last year too....

Hmm, in that case, you definitely have a bone to pick with Luna. I would make em send one with regen. Otherwise, that would be straight up false advertising, fraud even. I just tried using the Internet Archive to look back in time, but unfortunately, they didn't archive the X controller page (they did archive the Sur Ron Parts page, however).

But I recall looking before and it did not state that it had regen. It didn't state that it didn't have regen either - which would have been the only right thing to do since the prior batch did...

One problem is Sur-ron makes product changes without telling anyone. This is pretty common with Chinese companies. Bafang did the same thing. ES members figure out what’s going on before the dealers.

fechter said:
One problem is Sur-ron makes product changes without telling anyone. This is pretty common with Chinese companies. Bafang did the same thing. ES members figure out what’s going on before the dealers.

I dunno. Luna said when they got the first batch of X Controllers that it might be the only batch with regen - ever.

The really need version numbers. Without them and using the same product name makes discussion and knowing what you are getting difficult!

The X controller only ever had regen in eco mode, you guys using it in that mode?
You would have to switch in and out when riding and slowing down, which sounds like a hassle anyway.

Tommm said:
The X controller only ever had regen in eco mode, you guys using it in that mode?
You would have to switch in and out when riding and slowing down, which sounds like a hassle anyway.

You got it backward. Eco mode disables regen. I've pretty much never had/wanted to switch the switch to disable regen.

I would say regen braking is the single best upgrade - by far (not for its recharging but that is certainly a bonus). If I want to coast, I can give the throttle an infinitesimal nudge (which isn't even enough power to move the bike on flat ground - which is not possible to give it such little power on non-X controllers). But for me, by far more often, it's just the right amount of braking for going downhill.

3DTOPO said:
It's my understanding that chains are more efficient than timing belts, here are results from a test, the chain was 34.6% more efficient:
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/chain-or-belt-drive-which-is-faster-36074/
Belt drives usually have higher losses when unloaded because of the very high tension, but under load they outperform the chain.

Thats from the article:
"The unexpected portion of the results becomes apparent when the efficiency of the belt itself is analyzed in an apples-to-apples tension comparison to the chain, without preload," Smith said. 'These results show the belt becomes more efficient above 208 watts."

Most certainly Allex will measure the no-load comsumption of the belt drive as well and then we have a comparsion.

madin88 said:
3DTOPO said:
Belt drives usually have higher losses when unloaded because of the very high tension, but under load they outperform the chain.

Thats from the article:
"The unexpected portion of the results becomes apparent when the efficiency of the belt itself is analyzed in an apples-to-apples tension comparison to the chain, without preload," Smith said. 'These results show the belt becomes more efficient above 208 watts."
But that is taken out of context, right before that it states:

However, if one were to theoretically supplement a zero-tension Gates system with a lower roller to prevent skipping on the cog, it's then possible that track racers could benefit from a toothed belt drive system.

So doesn't that mean it would need a zero-tension system?

madin88 said:
Most certainly Allex will measure the no-load comsumption of the belt drive as well and then we have a comparsion.

That will be interesting.

Back