la Nina rears her ugly head

A week of riding, WOOHOO. Freedom from mooching rides and temps in the 70's.

Last night a lightening filled thunderstorm with mixed sleet, rain, and snow. 3-4 inches of super wet snow on the ground and 28F nighttime lows. Ending this weekend and back to high 50's Monday. Mississippi had junk crested at one of the highest levels in a decade or two. More rain is kinda spooky and could mean another crest.

When e-riding: I don't mind the rain, compared to the cold winter and snow. Vancouver/Seattle must get a ton, plus over cast all the time right, but its better then snow and cold. I once was in Van and on the tv in the motel room they said there was an emergency because it was so so cold, it was only -10C and we all laughed, then they said more emergency shelters will open because of the cold, damp cold it damn cold but the west coasters arent used to the snow and cold and wind chill.

fechter said:
Windy here too. At least no rain. And the weekend is finally supposed to be clear! But chance of showers on Monday.

Season total is a little over 52".

markz said:
When e-riding: I don't mind the rain, compared to the cold winter and snow.
Indeed! I found a nice rain cape designed for bike riding and all but real downpours are easy to deal with.

Do spill the beans for us, I need something that will protect my thighs yet still have agility and stamina to not pedal.

tomjasz said:
markz said:
When e-riding: I don't mind the rain, compared to the cold winter and snow.
Indeed! I found a nice rain cape designed for bike riding and all but real downpours are easy to deal with.

I'm sorry, I can't find the seller. It's a rain cape that has thumb tabs to hold it down over the handlebars, and I sit on the back side and it forms a tent of sorts over my legs, battery, and mid motor. I found it on an EU site for a stupidly high price but found it later at a closeout price. I'll keep looking...

https://www.bikeshophub.com/blog/2012/04/27/cleverhood-rain-cape-patience-itll-rain-eventually

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
A slight chance of showers after 11pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 46. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tuesday
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Light south wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Tuesday Night
A chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 44. West wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

:mrgreen:

The last system that came through here pretty much evaporated before arriving. They were predicting around 1/2" but I got about 2 drops. Now it looks like at least a week of no rain and warmer temps. Time to start cleaning up the yard....

About 100F for a high; some places it still hasn't cooled off even now (near sunset), but it's down to 85F at my house (no wind, tree/plant evaporation cooling and having shaded the ground from heating as much).

Sunday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Sunday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49.
Monday
A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.
:roll:

Wife said that it thundered today, saw some virga from Mt San Jacinto to the Santa Rosa Mountains which evaporated completely by sundown.

Shorts and t-shirt weather every day. Lows 60-65 highs 70-80 depending on cloud cover or sun. Last year was kinda sucky with wetter than normal, but this year is shaping up to be more typical, so if it does rain it's in the afternoon with dry roads by commuting home time. In the tropics in the mountains with enough elevation to stay cooler is definitely the place to be. I really pity you guys fighting too hot conditions already after suffering through too cold.

Mississippi River here, 2-5’ over flood stage. Rain pushing it up higher and more rain on the way. Argh.

“If you think this flood is lasting longer than usual, you'd be right.

The National Weather Service in The Quad Cities says this is the longest time the Mississippi River has been above major flood stage.

As of April 24, It's been exactly 32 days since the river hit above 18 feet.

That breaks the record for the longest stretch the river has been above major flood stage, the previous record was set back in 2001.

Meteorologists say we will continue to shatter the record.

The record high for the Mississippi River flooding was set back in 1993 when it reached more than 22.5 feet.”

Sunday Night
A chance of showers after 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 67.
Monday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm, then a slight chance of showers. Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 47.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers before 11am. Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 68.

Monday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 68.
Monday Night
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 69.

Back