2mm Polycarbonate vs. 3mm Acrylic

Polycarbonate, what do you intend to use it for? Keep in mind it's hygroscopic. Edit, just realised your comparison thickness varies so maybe the acrylic depending on the application.

Rube said:
Polycarbonate, what do you intend to use it for? Keep in mind it's hygroscopic. Edit, just realised your comparison thickness varies so maybe the acrylic depending on the application.

It will protect a battery pack with cell holders, sit flat on it, from experience heavy battery packs if not handled with super care make the 2mm acrylic crack from very light hits.

Not sure exactly what you are planning to do around an enclosure, but 2mm acrylic would not make a very strong unit and might be subject to flexing and cracking as you thought it might.
I have some experience with using acrylic, I used 4mm to build the battery and controller box on my ebike. The battery itself is 96 18650 cells and there is additional weight with battery connectors. I wanted to use 6mm material but settled for 4mm when I found a half sheet for a good price. I’m going into the 3rd year of service on my bike and so far, no issues with the acrylic box. I used acrylic solvent to glue the joints together, the result is strong and light. I guess what I am saying is that if you choose to go with acrylic, use 4mm not 2mm.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 16D5F619-AB33-4CF2-9A36-3FF1970C4E61.jpeg
    16D5F619-AB33-4CF2-9A36-3FF1970C4E61.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,469
Polycarbonate is much more impact resistant. Also melts at a higher temperature. I've used it as an insulator in pack builds before.

I'm using 6mm "greenhouse glazing" for my battery box and spacers between banks (for ventilation). Lightweight and strong.

e.g. https://www.teksupply.com/contracto...enhouse_covering;ts_greenhouse_polycarbs.html

104471b.jpg

M

fechter said:
Polycarbonate is much more impact resistant. Also melts at a higher temperature. I've used it as an insulator in pack builds before.

I have a real space limitation where every millimeter counts so I need to know if a 2mm polycarbonate will be at least as strong as 3mm acrylic if not stronger.

rg12 said:
I have a real space limitation where every millimeter counts so I need to know if a 2mm polycarbonate will be at least as strong as 3mm acrylic if not stronger.
It's nearly unbreakable as long as it doesn't get exposed to certain chemicals, like diesel fuel or cutting oil. The stuff I'm using is 1/16", whatever that is in metric. You can hit it with a hammer and it won't crack. It should be very good in your application. Thin stuff you can cut with tin snips.

fechter said:
rg12 said:
It's nearly unbreakable as long as it doesn't get exposed to certain chemicals, like diesel fuel or cutting oil. The stuff I'm using is 1/16", whatever that is in metric. You can hit it with a hammer and it won't crack. It should be very good in your application. Thin stuff you can cut with tin snips.

That is amazing!

A thick piece of polycarbonate will stop a bullet without cracking. Get some scraps and try breaking them.

Back