Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Hi there,

My backup has crashed and now I don't have the stock settings file anymore. Could someone with a BBS02B 750W unit upload the default .el settings file (factory) and/or send it by PM? Not that I want to reset it, but it's just a bit peace of mind, really.

Thanks!

Screenshot_2019-05-05-19-00-04-586_com.google.android.apps.docs.png
Does it looks like power curve of BBS02B?
We can use it for better understanding what's going on, and for fine-tuning for specific modes.
For example - if you want to save yours Nuvinci N380, let's limit current below 23A on 36V systems, to be below Max.Continious.Torque of this gentle IGH.
Am I true?

Hi, I have an ebike that comes with a rebranded bafang BBS01 motor and DP-C11 display. The display only has 3 buttons (plus, minus and power) and it doesn't seem possible to change the max speed which is set to 25km/h. Also wheel diameter is displayed, but cannot be changed either. I've used a USB programming cable and increased the speed limit to 30km/on the Pedal Assist tab, but when cycling the power still cuts off at 25km/h. The other values I changed did take effect.

Any ideas on how to increase the speed limit?

wian said:
Hi, I have an ebike that comes with a rebranded bafang BBS01 motor and DP-C11 display. The display only has 3 buttons (plus, minus and power) and it doesn't seem possible to change the max speed which is set to 25km/h. Also wheel diameter is displayed, but cannot be changed either. I've used a USB programming cable and increased the speed limit to 30km/on the Pedal Assist tab, but when cycling the power still cuts off at 25km/h. The other values I changed did take effect.

I have the same problem. Have you found any solution yet?

cross33 said:
Hi BotoXbz
Sorry for the bit late reply, but I just want to say thank you. The script is working!
The SW (or maybe the HW) is very buggy, I have to do multiple reads before you get a successful reply. But all in all it works.

:bigthumb:

How did you manage to connect to the software? Do you have an BESST tool or did you use something else? I want to reprogram my display using the BESST software, so that's why I'm asking.

Hi board,

I'm new to programing the Bafang motor. Read a lot and experimented a little with the settings.
I find this thread very useful. Amazing what has been accomplished so far. Kudos.

One thing that is bothering me is the Workmode setting. After studying lots of info I came to the following conslusion.

We have pedal rpm and wheel rpm. That is a ratio. My bike has Nexus 7 and I measured the following wheel rev for one pedal revolution:

Code:
Gear	   wheel turns	Calculated Shimano Nexus 7 %

1	    1.5		1.5	100%
2	    1.8		1.8	117.3%
3	    2.1		2.0	113.8%
4	    2.4		2.3	117.3%
5	    2.8		2.7	115.8%
6	    3.1		3.2	116.6%
7	    3.8		3.7	115.8%

My theory.

Workmode is like poor mans gear select detector. (also little bit torque?)

Workmode = pedal / wheel * 10 (def 10) (10 factor is for decimals)

Workmode 10 = 1/1 ratio pedal/wheel (below 1.5 ratio on my bike)

Workmode 23 is in 4th gear. 1-3rd gear will have less support, 4-7th gear will have more PAS support

The graph:
Code:
     more assist

|
	|                      / but what param for angle of this line? Current decay?
	|                     /
	|                    /
	|                   /
	|                  /
	|_____V___________/____________________ ratio
	|10   15   20    /^  30        40  
	|               / workmode (4th gear)
	|              /
	|             /
	|            /
	|           /
	|

less assist

Can anyone comment on this? I will start to measure WATTS (on display) for different gears per PAS.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Hi All,
Can someone tell me the steps to connect the programming cable to the bike ?
I have a Bafang Ultra with Reetion battery pack, that mean no power ON/OFF button on the battery, no key... ON/OFF is on the display commande.
Steps : (?)
1-remove battery
2-Plug programming cable
3-re_plug battery
4-play with software
5-unplug battery
6-remove programming cable
7-plug battery back

I'm right ?
Thanks.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

Hello, i'm new here, i drive now for a few weeks with a bbs01 250w middrive system. I changed allready some settings i found here and the bike is very powerfull but in safe limits.
There is still one thing that i still don't understand.
Why drops the speed when i go to more pedal cadense and why he speeds up when i go to less cadense and hiw can i do something about it.
Thanks allready.

Madeiros007 said:
Hello, i'm new here, i drive now for a few weeks with a bbs01 250w middrive system. I changed allready some settings i found here and the bike is very powerfull but in safe limits.
Why drops the speed when i go to more pedal cadense and why he speeds up when i go to less cadense and hiw can i do something about it.
Thanks allready.
Change the 'Keep Current' to 100%

alfantastic said:
Madeiros007 said:
Thanks allready.
Is it safe for the controller?

Madeiros007 said:
alfantastic said:
Madeiros007 said:
Thanks allready.
Is it safe for the controller?
Yes, shouldn't cause any problems. The trick with the BBSxx series of motors, is to make sure you are in the correct gear. Always start off in a low gear and use a low gear on hills, even if it means you end up ghost pedalling. The motor is happy when it is spinning fast!

A 42T Lekkie Bling Ring helps: https://em3ev.com/shop/bbs02-bling-ring/

Milad_A said:
wian said:

I have the same problem. Have you found any solution yet?

Same ‘problem’ here. Seems like the display overrides what’s flashed to the controller regarding speed limit/wheel size. Did any of you find a solution?
Would installing a new display solve this?

If Milad_A or wian is still interested: I connected another display that I had installed on another bike, and it resolved the issues we're experiencing. Seems like spending a few bucks on another display will probably help you out too. I haven't found a way to alter the hard preset options on the rebranded display, so I will just order and install a new display.

DP-C11 (uart) display is a pain in the ... It overrides Vmax, Battery cut off, and maybe other things. It can only be programmed by special BAFANG software (BESST). No hidden menu's on the display (If someone knows let us know!!)
Mine is set at 25 km/h and it even cuts off at 24.6 km/h.
Battery indication and cut off way to soon.

Bafang DP-C11 read: https://bikeshop.no/doc/dp-c11.pdf

I have BBS01 SZZ6 firmware V2.0.1.1 and experience power delivery problems after half a hour. Only 126 watt. So after switching the DP-C11 off and on again I get the full 250+ watt again. I suspect the DP-C11.

Only one solution so far: replace the DP-C11 with 500C (BBS01 or BBS01B version?)

Fellas, it’s a BBS01. A little 250W and sweet 12-16mph motor. You could squeeze out a bit more but it’ll always be about a 15kph motor. 350W will increase some speed, maybe 25% more, but it’s still an 01(B).

I tried a 52T for added speed but found it ran hot quickly if not mindful of the watts it’s sucking.

Borrow someones C961 or C963, Display and try it. I never noted down my firmware versions for my 250W 01Bs or my 350W.

tomjasz said:
Fellas, it’s a BBS01. A little 250W and sweet 12-16mph motor. You could squeeze out a bit more but it’ll always be about a 15kph motor. 350W will increase some speed, maybe 25% more, but it’s still an 01(B).

I tried a 52T for added speed but found it ran hot quickly if not mindful of the watts it’s sucking.

Borrow someones C961 or C963, Display and try it. I never noted down my firmware versions for my 250W 01Bs or my 350W.

I know, I'm not expecting miracles. I just don't like the hard cutoff at 25 km/h on PAS when you feel there's more potential. It just doesn't feel natural.
Like I said, I already tested with another display and got the results I wanted. I'll buy and install a new one on it permanently in the upcoming weeks. For now I am happy that the max speed limit per assist level isn't overridden. (The manufacturer's preset options of 12 / 15 km/h were ridiculous.) Thanks for the feedback Tomjasz and tweakradje!

@Nick22 Thanks. I have ordered a 500C display (BBS01 not BBS01B) and it will arrive end of december for testing. I will let you know here how it goes when I tested it with my BBS01. I have 3 (the same) BBS01 family bikes (German made Prophete) and will equip the others with 500C too if it works.

tweakradje said:
@Nick22 Thanks. I have ordered a 500C display (BBS01 not BBS01B) and it will arrive end of december for testing. I will let you know here how it goes when I tested it with my BBS01. I have 3 (the same) BBS01 family bikes (German made Prophete) and will equip the others with 500C too if it works.

That’s an awful display, in my experience. I don’t get the drive to color and useless “lipstick”. I still run C961 displays. Cheap reliable and cheap enough to have a backup in the parts box. I did find a couple C963 displays on closeouts. Cleaner and simpler.

BTN and other China vendors are selling BBSHD with 500C displays and this disclaimer.

WTF???

My experience with the 500C display and the BBS01 250W/36V

I wanted to replace my DP-C11 display with the 500C unit. After testing it for a week I switched back to the DP-C11

Reasons for not having the 500C display:

- headlight on/off doesn't work on my bike
- full battery (36V) only showed 80%
- engine power scale is not for 250W and cannot be adjusted
- top speed set at 35 kph, but 250W engine only manages 28 kph
- ODO not adjustable (starts at 0)

Most issues can be solved by software update. Maybe Bafang can do something with the info?

Conclusion: waste of money in my scenario

tweakradje said:
My experience with the 500C display and the BBS01 250W/36V

I wanted to replace my DP-C11 display with the 500C unit. After testing it for a week I switched back to the DP-C11

Reasons for not having the 500C display:

- headlight on/off doesn't work on my bike
- full battery (36V) only showed 80%
- engine power scale is not for 250W and cannot be adjusted
- top speed set at 35 kph, but 250W engine only manages 28 kph
- ODO not adjustable (starts at 0)

Most issues can be solved by software update. Maybe Bafang can do something with the info?

Conclusion: waste of money in my scenario

Actually they are not a Bafang product. As if getting information from Bafang wasn’t difficult enough. An added display maker, APT, totally muddies up the water. I think BTN used displays with firmware for hub drives or other motors and is sticking it to unfortunate buyers.

I purchased a BBS02 48V 750W a few months ago and fitted it to my bike before acquiring a battery.

I acquired a nice custom 36V (10S) pack but this only gives me 4V (42 -> 38V) before the bike stops due to "low voltage" so only 30 to 40% of the packs capacity.

38V is the lowest I can set the low voltage cutout with my firmware version.

Is there a 36V BBS02 firmware image available? I have seen a few on these forums but I think they are all 48V.

Do I have any other options to make this setup work? Would a BBS01 image work and are any available?

Details:
Model: SZZ9
HW Ver: 1.1
Firmware version (2.0.1.1)

Back