JP spot welder

riba2233 said:
Hi everyone!

I'm excited to tell you that I have the welders ready to order and ship again.

However, I'm less excited to tell you that this batch which includes 15 assembled and 2 DIY kits will be the last one.

It was a pleasure to have had you as a welder maker. Always kind and direct. I recently added a second welder for backup. I’m glad I did. Yours has been trouble free. Making my spare redundant.
Thanks for the work, product, and friendly exchanges!

tomjasz said:
riba2233 said:
Hi everyone!

I'm excited to tell you that I have the welders ready to order and ship again.

However, I'm less excited to tell you that this batch which includes 15 assembled and 2 DIY kits will be the last one.

It was a pleasure to have had you as a welder maker. Always kind and direct. I recently added a second welder for backup. I’m glad I did. Yours has been trouble free. Making my spare redundant.
Thanks for the work, product, and friendly exchanges!

Hi, thank you for your lasting support, it has been a pleasure! :mrgreen:

Cowardlyduck said:
For those not following the Stealth Futr thread, here is how I recently made a HUGE battery using my JP.

The tip sharpening and booster subpack I added to my JP certainly made this a much easier build than it otherwise would have been. :D 8)

Cheers

20 AWG, I only used 28 AWG for the balance wires. You should never have more than a amp through them. Thinner wire also will act as a better fuse in case of a short with the wires.

good idea for sharpening the tip, I was always trying to file them down and it was a big pain to do that so I never really did it.

Offroader said:
20 AWG, I only used 28 AWG for the balance wires. You should never have more than a amp through them. Thinner wire also will act as a better fuse in case of a short with the wires.
Nah, you can charge up to 8A through the BC168...granted I would not normally recommend that either.
Valid point about the fuse, but if the pack is rock solid should never be an issue. 8)

Cheers

Hi every on
I finished my first "big " battery pack 14s28p
Near to 1600 spot welding.
No bug no problem with my jpspotwelder

But I need New copper tip can you say where I can found New one?

Solexelec said:
Hi every on
I finished my first "big " battery pack 14s28p
Near to 1600 spot welding.
No bug no problem with my jpspotwelder

But I need New copper tip can you say where I can found New one?

Hi,

thank you and I'm really glad you like it!

Unfortunately I just went out of copper tips, but they are made from standard 5mm copper rod which you can get in many places, including ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=5mm+copper+rod&_sacat=0

Like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-99-9-Pure-Copper-Cu-Metal-Rod-Cylinder-Diameter-5mm-Length-100mm-4/371344397989?epid=1731524530&hash=item5675d9d6a5:g:ZjUAAOSw~OdVcVlR

And then you can just sharpen them. But included tips should last really long, especially if you keep on sharpening them.

Also, welders are still available for order, both assembled and DIY.

Hi, I have interest in a DIY unit, do you have one available? You can PM me of course for the order processing, I hope I'm still in time cause they look really neat, being able to weld copper strips!

Cowardlyduck said:
I've had good success with this seller:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/186...55.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2dd94c4dOjccJ1
Still using a 1kg roll of 0.15 x 7mm I bought several years ago (nearly used it all now), and I just ordered a new roll of 0.15 x 8mm that's yet to arrive.

They have 0.2 x 10mm rolls for a decent price. :)

Cheers

I bought from this seller .2mm x 15mm strip. Took less than a week to ship to USA by DHL. I paid the extra $6 dollars for the faster DHL shipping. Order date April 26th from china, delivered April 30th to USA. 4 days shipping for only $6 extra, worth it for 1 kg of nickel if you don't want to wait potentially a month.

Total price including shipping $65 dollars for 1kg strip.

I buy the wider 15mm strip for better current flow, even though 15mm is very wide. It offers 50% more current then the .2mm x 10mm. It offers over 100% more current flow than the .1x 10mm nickel most use. Beware this is wide for 18650 cells but will work, but needs careful welding on the positive side of the battery or you could possibly weld into the negative side of the case by missing the small positive side and short the cell. For optimal current flow and high current packs just get the .2 x 15mm and weld carefully :D .

It looks like this stuff is legit as any 99% nickel I tested. So stock up on this because these sellers with legit nickel are hard to find. The price is also very good.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/18650-Lithium-ion-battery-nickel-strip-0-15-8-0-3-8-0-15-10-0/32832222955.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2dd94c4dOjccJ1

Here are some pics. .2mm thick x 15mm wide I ordered. I found that .2mm is the thickest you can get strong welds with. .3mm is too thick to weld so don't waste your money like I have on that. A nice size would probably be .2mm x 12mm or 13mm.

I will post my welding results as soon as I get to test how well this stuff welds. But it should be fine as I welded my 280 cell battery with .2mm nickel and it had very strong welds with the JP spot welder.

mxwlsuP.jpg

9eYOr7I.jpg

pvpKCFB.jpg

dhf3JwG.jpg

This is the grinding test I do because it works and is easy. The first Strip is this 99% .2mm x 15mm. You can see very few sparks even though this is thick .2mm and 15mm wide.

The 2nd strip is nickel plated steel, you can see sparks galore even though this is very thin .08mm x 8mm and sparks like crazy. Yes I paid for 99% nickel and .1mm x 10mm I believe, they ripped me off in size and gave me steel to boot.

The 3rd strip is other 99% nickel .1mm thick x 10mm wide I believe. I bought some time back and this was verified with salt water & peroxide after grinding the sides to get to the steel and tested good with no rust. You can also see some sparks with this 99% nickel as with the 1st strip I tested. Some sparks seems to be normal for any 99% nickel, but should not be shooting sparks like the 2nd strip I tested which was very thin nickel plated steel.

[youtube]iH0iZTV-iwU[/youtube]

hello riba. is it possible to modify the welder to handle around 2 times the current for welding copper? perhaps using larger or more fets?

ridethelightning said:
hello riba. is it possible to modify the welder to handle around 2 times the current for welding copper? perhaps using larger or more fets?

Hi,

I have never tried myself, but I guess it could be possible. Maybe stack two welders, and use one as a master providing the gate signal for slave FETs?

BTW, I still got welders for sale ready to ship right away! :thumb:

could you point me in the right direction to get some extra good quality fets please, im going to try a crazy experiment :D

Hi guys, please see new update in first post, I have dropped prices by 20 USD for these few remaining welders!

UPDATE 22 may 2019:

Closing sale - 20 USD price drop for assembled and DIY kit!

New prices:

Standard kit - includes assembled welder, electrodes, and footswtich - 140 USD - in stock

DIY kit - includes welder in parts, for hand soldering; assembled electrodes, and a footswitch - 110 USD in stock

riba2233 said:
Welders still available, ready to ship right away! :thumb:
I'm ready to buy a spot welder, I just need a little bit of convincing why this is a better option than a sunkko 709a? which would set me back around UK£150 (I'm based in the UK) also whether it's similar/higher/lower spec than the other one I see talked about on these forums, the kweld (I don't want to encourage anyone saying bad things about anyone else's products, just want to understand what's the best choice for me)

Valman said:
riba2233 said:
I'm ready to buy a spot welder, I just need a little bit of convincing why this is a better option than a sunkko 709a? which would set me back around UK£150 (I'm based in the UK) also whether it's similar/higher/lower spec than the other one I see talked about on these forums, the kweld (I don't want to encourage anyone saying bad things about anyone else's products, just want to understand what's the best choice for me)

If a 709 fails finding a replacement PCB is difficult if not impossible. There's enough users of the JP to assist in repairs and I'm guessing JP will offer some level of assistance. I find JP to be a fluid English speaker, which makes life so much easier than dealing with China.

When my 709 failed after a couple of welds the seller ran me around in circles and after more than a month sent me a new PCB. However, changing out a PCB was a daunting task for me with no strong electronics repair background.

I bought a KWeld as my third welder. I was impressed until I discovered it has some issues in the version I bought.
The KWeld maker has been very helpful and will upgrade for me if I send back to Germany. My disappointment comes from feeling like a BETA tester. It wasn't ready for prime time. Or at least not ready for someone lacking the skills to upgrade the Kweld.

Valman said:
riba2233 said:

Hi, thank you for the interest!

There are few main differences between chinese welders and mine.

First, they use mains power which severely limits their welding power and can cause problems with mains like popping fuses and similar. I've read reports that they barely weld 0.15 nickel, and that you can't stack nickel tapes, which is pretty weak.

Second, their quality is pretty hit and miss. And you can see that the construction is just not there, thin wires, electrodes etc.
And if something goes wrong (which is less likely because it's made to be as simple and robust as possible), my welder is easy to repair and I'm here for the swift service.

Third, since you are in EU, you don't have to pay VAT or import duty for my welder unlike for the sunkko.

riba2233 said:
Valman said:
riba2233 said:

First, they use mains power which severely limits their welding power and can cause problems with mains like popping fuses and similar. I've read reports that they barely weld 0.15 nickel, and that you can't stack nickel tapes, which is pretty weak.

Second, their quality is pretty hit and miss. And you can see that the construction is just not there, thin wires, electrodes etc.
And if something goes wrong (which is less likely because it's made to be as simple and robust as possible), my welder is easy to repair and I'm here for the swift service.

Third, since you are in EU, you don't have to pay VAT or import duty for my welder unlike for the sunkko.

Thanks for the response - I'll give it a go :) just let me know the payment details etc. - thanks!

Valman said:
riba2233 said:
Valman said:
riba2233 said:

Thanks for the response - I'll give it a go :) just let me know the payment details etc. - thanks!

Thank you, I've sent you a private message :)

fechter said:
Good luck with your new work. I sure got my money's worth out of my welder so far. Still working perfect.

Img_1098A.jpg

This is very close to how I plan to build my first battery, the way you've laid out the nickel strips and how things flow through the battery - Can you tell me what materials and what method you used for the big main negative and main positive bus bars at each end? looks like more than just nickel strip their, some kind of chunkiness that I like the look of - thanks!

Valman said:
This is very close to how I plan to build my first battery, the way you've laid out the nickel strips and how things flow through the battery - Can you tell me what materials and what method you used for the big main negative and main positive bus bars at each end? looks like more than just nickel strip their, some kind of chunkiness that I like the look of - thanks!
I soldered 8ga copper wire to a strip of nickel, then spot welded it to the pack and folded it over.

Img_1046.jpg

Back