Wayne’s Dengfu Carbon Fibre FS 27.5” with Bafang M600 (throttle also)

Hi Eddycurrent. The motor is similar to the other lower powered mid drives like bosh, shimano etc in my opinion in regards to size, weight, & sound. but with one big difference. Mine came with the ability to run 850 watts when the 48 volt pack is hot off the charger. Also it has a throttle. This is a huge advantage in my opinion and the reason I went with this drive.The issue is no support or really not many others using the drive. The chit chat around regarding the drive failing is at this point just rummor. I see no photo's of failed drives or anyone realy that has owned this drive to chime in and give details. My feel on the drive continues to be -- its awesome but buyer beware and lets pray for support on parts and tech help.

I still can not believe I have had this drive this long and still in the dark regarding how others M600 drives are working and also what Bafang has planned for support. Same old story from months ago really.

The more I ride electric MTB's I really feel the sweet spot for low mainentance and fun is a ride with a little under a 1000 watts,decent full suspension frame and weighing in around 50lbs and also with a throttle, good ground clearance and quiet. I could be wrong but I think I have exactly that and don't really see any thing else out there that compares with checking all the check boxes mentioned. Just too bad there still lacks the support from Bafang.

I will have to make a decent video of the bike in action one day. Its quiet and awesome..........wayne

waynebergman said:
Hi Eddycurrent. The motor is similar to the other lower powered mid drives like bosh, shimano etc in my opinion in regards to size, weight, & sound. but with one big difference. Mine came with the ability to run 850 watts when the 48 volt pack is hot off the charger. Also it has a throttle. This is a huge advantage in my opinion and the reason I went with this drive.The issue is no support or really not many others using the drive. The chit chat around regarding the drive failing is at this point just rummor. I see no photo's of failed drives or anyone realy that has owned this drive to chime in and give details. My feel on the drive continues to be -- its awesome but buyer beware and lets pray for support on parts and tech help.

I still can not believe I have had this drive this long and still in the dark regarding how others M600 drives are working and also what Bafang has planned for support. Same old story from months ago really.

The more I ride electric MTB's I really feel the sweet spot for low mainentance and fun is a ride with a little under a 1000 watts,decent full suspension frame and weighing in around 50lbs and also with a throttle, good ground clearance and quiet. I could be wrong but I think I have exactly that and don't really see any thing else out there that compares with checking all the check boxes mentioned. Just too bad there still lacks the support from Bafang.

I will have to make a decent video of the bike in action one day. Its quiet and awesome..........wayne

Hey Wayne thanks for the answer

So then .. where are the 120nm?

And again I’m not native English what happened with the engine failures why Bafang don’t sell it anymore?

Thanks

Hi Eddy Current, not sure what you mean by "So then .. where are the 120nm? -----the manufactured states it produces that amount of torque and I believe that to be true.

Also your question....."And again I’m not native English what happened with the engine failures why Bafang don’t sell it anymore?" my answer to your question is ----I am not sure this is the case I have only heard rumors Bafang is not selling this drive. ....wayne

waynebergman said:
Hi Eddy Current, not sure what you mean by "So then .. where are the 120nm? -----the manufactured states it produces that amount of torque and I believe that to be true.

I explain myself: when I ask how does compare to the others you said quite the same ... maybe those extra nm don’t shine on the actuall pedaling than they you might think when you read it? I mean “wow 120nm 30nm more than my Brose!” and then “I don’t feel this specially fast than the others I’ve ridden before”

People that have tried the TQ Flyon said is compared to the others ebike what an ebike is compared to a regular bike ... you don’t experience this with the M600? I don’t want that huge difference but sometimes I miss just a little bit more power on my Brose

Thanks for you answers Wayne

As mentioned earlier "The motor is similar to the other lower powered mid drives like bosh, shimano etc in my opinion in regards to size, weight, & sound" so again I am saying here is in SOUND WEIGHT AND SIZE not power. So just to be clear the motor has more power than some because you have the ability to run 850 watts through it. Watts equal power and translated to torque a rating of 120 NM.........Hope this helps......wayne

Hi Eddy Current, no there is no news to report. Bike is working well. .......wayne

Have you seen this?

https://lunacycle.com/x-1-enduro-fs-ebike/

Looks like your bike Wayne.

Sweet! Planning to order one. Just not sure whether to go with Standard Mode (throttle) or Ludicrous Mode (no throttle).

Thanks Rydon, this is the best news regarding this drive system I have heard to date. I look forward to hearing more about this unit LUNA will sell. I would not hesitate to buy this bike from Luna. I hope Eric does well with this move.........wayne

Article here gets a bit more into the spec of the X-1: https://newatlas.com/luna-x1-enduro-ebike-full-suspension/60227/

Sure looks just like yours Wayne. Personally I wouldn't need the ludicrous mode over a throttle for a trail bike especially. It is great that Luna has used their influence with Bafang to open up the possibilities of the M600 especially in regards to parts support.

Yep , this is huge. Its time to jump on the band wagon folks..........wayne

Just ordered mine. Decided to go with the throttle version with 17.5" frame. Not sure what kind of supply Luna is extending for the pre-order but their new stuff always seems to sell out quick so didn't want to think about it for too long. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the huge LUNA lettering. I think it really detracts from the beauty of the bike. In my order notes I asked if it can be ordered without it.

Good point about the effect of having Luna on board with the M600, I really think it will be a good motor system in the long run, and market adoption will ensure that Bafang focuses on improvements for it. I would also like to see more about this motor, someone please rip one open for us...

As for the rumors of burned out units/plastic gearing/etc, Isn't it the exact same with any Bafang unit? Far as I can see that's nothing to be worried about, there are always similar incidences with their new designs and they will refine as necessary. What better way to figure out the limits than to have Luna pushing 2kW thru it? Which by the way I'm sure is way more than they should be pushing (I have this motor pegged at 1000-1500W peak reliably, just based on its downsize compared to the G510 motor). No harm in being proven wrong though...

waynebergman said:
Hi Eddy Current, no there is no news to report. Bike is working well. .......wayne

Not from your bike but that Luna bike/m600 involved ... great news!!!

750w continuos, 2000w mode ... yes seems it’s more punchy than the others hehehe

66.5 head angle, very nice, most frames are 66 or even 65.5

You can fit a 29er in the front without get into a crazy slack or “downgrade” to 140mm fork with a 29er too and stay in those numbers. I don’t know if it fits 3” rear or if you can play with the rear fork/triangle too as easy as the front, then more room to play with geometry. But that extra 0.5 degree is good, at least for me

29er will likely not fit, his 27.5" x 2.8"s look like they're nearly touching the swingarm pivot/dead end of chainstay zone.

No need for it anyway right? typically a full-suspension 29er (especially 29+) needs a frame designed with that extra clearance to also account for debris/etc (10mm is the industry standard clearance all-round the tire thru its travel).

Might be possible but I wouldn't bother, 29er is suited to rigid and hardtail builds anyway... 27.5" is good for a light full-suspension bike like this.

Deafcat said:
29er will likely not fit, his 27.5" x 2.8"s look like they're nearly touching the swingarm pivot/dead end of chainstay zone.

No need for it anyway right? typically a full-suspension 29er (especially 29+) needs a frame designed with that extra clearance to also account for debris/etc (10mm is the industry standard clearance all-round the tire thru its travel).

Might be possible but I wouldn't bother, 29er is suited to rigid and hardtail builds anyway... 27.5" is good for a light full-suspension bike like this.

Front 29er

You know, for more rolling, relaxed routes. With a 3” rear and 29x2.6 front is almost a true 29er

I hope they bring more variety of frames, full 29er fat bike Ht fs ... whatever

This little Bafang has to be juiced in every way!

The price has gone up from when I purchased the other day. Med Frame w/ the 2000w controller. I decided up front that the rebuild of the default controller would be worthwhile.

Also, would be curious about a 29 front setup but I will wait. Excited to see this.

I noticed the price increase too. They are also offering an additional battery now. In the original description there was reference to a price of $3300, but when I bought it was $3450, and now it's $3550 for the standard configuration. I'm thinking they may just be increasing price as they get closer to selling out of the pre-orders.

How does the ludricous mode works? It runs like the 750w versión all the time but you can run 2000w “turbo mode” for a while or it can reach 2000w peaks?

Would suggest reading the Luna product page more carefully. It has answers to your questions. This thread is probably not the best place to ask Luna specific questions.

That said I did ask Luna whether it was possible add throttle with the ludicrous controller and only enable when changed to street legal (lower watt) settings via screwdriver. They responded back that it was not possible without reprogramming and it would void warranty. They also clarified that similar to the stock controller, the ludi controller cannot be programmed with BBSXX programming or cable (so good luck enabling throttle for lower watt street legal modes with ludi controller). Too bad, I think they needlessly castrated the ludi controller in this regard.

Also, FYI, it seems Luna filled all the pre-order slots as of yesterday so hope everyone got their pre-order in.

Tom said:
Would suggest reading the Luna product page more carefully. It has answers to your questions. This thread is probably not the best place to ask Luna specific questions.

That said I did ask Luna whether it was possible add throttle with the ludicrous controller and only enable when changed to street legal (lower watt) settings via screwdriver. They responded back that it was not possible without reprogramming and it would void warranty. They also clarified that similar to the stock controller, the ludi controller cannot be programmed with BBSXX programming or cable (so good luck enabling throttle for lower watt street legal modes with ludi controller). Too bad, I think they needlessly castrated the ludi controller in this regard.

Also, FYI, it seems Luna filled all the pre-order slots as of yesterday so hope everyone got their pre-order in.

Ok if i understand good it’s just like any other engine in terms of stress, you can run 2000w but not aaaaall the time

However 750w is enough for me

Back