DH Comp Rotomax Mid drive

Ive made up a sprocket adapter and fitted it to the bike, I was in a bit of a rush so the machining is a bit rough in places but it turned out ok. Ive just mocked it up for now.
20190706_114810.jpg
20190706_121218.jpg
20190706_122158.jpg

Im starting to look into chucking the battery in a back pack as I cant fit it where I wanted to under the down tube. Im fairly sure the front wheel will hit it under full compression

I decided to take the shock off the frame so I could check the chain growth with my intended routing but ran into a significant problem. Almost every part of the suspension linkage has been munted by the guy I bought it off. Its been bodged together so I had no idea how bad it was till now. Safe to say its really killed my motivation
20190714_113054.jpg
20190714_113116.jpg

Sorry to hear about the suspension. I'm always amazed they hold up as long as they do. Everything on bikes seems impossibly thin. Looks like you have the skills to repair or remake the suspension parts if you have to. You could probably bore and sleeve some of those parts and they'd be stronger than ever. It does suck having to go back and make stuff you thought was fine. Maybe take a break from it and go ride something else to get your motivation back.

The work looks awesome so far. Hurried rough machining looks cooler than smooth machining to most people anyway.

Son of a gun! looks like a mean machine!

Is the motor output freewheeled ? or can take advantage of regen braking ?

Old thread.. but looks like no freewheel so regen possible, would be nice to see if this project was ever finished some nice machine work going on there... with a good battery no doubt this thing would be an animal.

Bike looks nice, battery backpacks suck hard and top tube battery mounts are an easy solution on any bike.

Ive done what should be enough of a fix for the mean time, it might even be stronger than before but it is a bit ugly.
The shock should be ok for some testing but it really is a bit naff
20190721_144148.jpg
20190721_144232.jpg
20190721_150818.jpg
20190721_145533.jpg

So I just broke some of the wires in the motor trying to add internal hall sensors.
I guess I'm rewinding the stupid thing

That does suck but at least you'll know its done well. My 80100 outrunner had strands of wire that were loose and just hanging out if the bunch. Some were long enough to scrape on the magnets or get wedged in the air gap. Quality control isnt exactly what these motors are known for.

Ive been a bit slack with this project recently but Ive got one phase wound on the motor. The cross sectional area is up by 15% and also an additional 2 turns so the copper fill should be a fair bit better than it was before
20190923_125618.jpg

Been a bit slack but I finally finished winding the motor. Its turned out quite well and passed a 500V insulation test without any issues
I ended up starting again from my last post and added some extra wire
It has 30% increase in cross sectional area and an extra turn to get the Kv down which results in 63% more copper
Glue is setting on the hall sensors as we speak so will wire them and a temperature sensor as soon as I work out which one to use.
Now I just need to find a suitable controller
20191016_200347.jpg
20191016_211756.jpg
20191016_211935.jpg
20191019_144538.jpg
20191019_153704.jpg

SlowCo said:
Great work!
What is the kV of the motor now?
Thanks. Im not sure tbh I havnt put it together yet and dont have anything to measure it with. Ill probably wait till I glue in a temp sensor before putting the thing back together again

Sorry for the lack of updates.
In this period of radio silence Ive added hall sensors and a thermister to the motor, machined the parts for the chain tensioner and idlers and also the pulley for the motor shaft.
Ive decided to run the printed pulleys to confirm Ive got the ratios somewhat right before sinking heaps of time into machining the pulleys. That and Im curious to see how long they last if at all.
So short of machining up some bushes for the chain tensioners and a belt idler all I need to get this moving is a motor controller
20191214_084703.jpg
20191215_202450.jpg
20200104_201931.jpg
20200104_203016.jpg
20200104_203022.jpg
View attachment 3
20200104_203227.jpg
20200104_203311.jpg
20200104_203530.jpg

Wicked engineering bud.
Can I ask what size drive chain you are using and where you got the sprockets from please?

Wicked eh bud,
What gauge drive chain are you using,?
Did you print the drive chain sprockets as well?

Hallgoodern said:
Wicked eh bud,
What gauge drive chain are you using,?
Did you print the drive chain sprockets as well?
Its just a 219 go kart chain. The drive chain sprocket is printed atm but thats just for a fit check/ curiosity, Ill machine a proper one after I prove it moves and the reduction is about right.

Zeurus said:
really nice machining:) youre doing quite the same way as we did with our first conversion. love it XD

greetings from Austria:)

Oh wow your builds are very impressive, I wish Id seen those before starting mine. I have to concede that your machining is more impressive, that pulley with the fan blades machined into it is very cool!
Are you running VESC controllers? Im thinking I should bite the bullet and try one even if they dont have the output Im after

Speaking of machining, how long have you been at it? Do you program setup and run parts for a living or just some of those tasks? I'm curious because I personally do all three at work. I even have a 5axis machine center to play with but I feel like everyone builds cooler stuff than me.

I am relatively new to the 5axis and CAM/CAD stuff and spent about 14 years making pretty simple parts on a conversational control. Its only been the last 3 years that I have had all the fancy tools at my disposal.

Personally the thing I struggle with is the initial design. Having the tools doesn't make me an engineer or industrial designer. I'm reminded of that every time I try to make something from scratch.

How about you Zeurus? Whats your CNC Machining experience?

Out of high school I did a fitting and machining apprenticeship which was all manual machining. I had been dicking around with CAD a year or two before that but was self taught so was ok but never that good at it. As soon as my apprenticeship was over I got a job working with some incredibly talented design engineers so some of that has rubbed off, recently Ive picked up enough so that designing stuff is now a part of my job. On the CNC side I made friends with the CNC machinists at work and got one of them to run me through the basics of what buttons do what and how and when to do things then taught myself how to program parts and run the machine.
Design is a bit of a c#%t coz its too easy to try and perfect things before making them but if you do that you spend months designing stuff and never make anything. On the other side of that coin theres always better ways to do something, theres definitely a lot of thing Id change on this thing if I were to do it again but in saying that this was always going to be a proof of concept.

The only advice Ive got is that 3d printers are awesome. Its super helpful being able to design something, print it out, fit check it and even just hold it and see what looks right and where you can take unnecessary material away

i would'nt go for the vesc, especially if you have got the battery in a backbak. my vesc burnt cause of voltage spices due to the long battery wires. for skateboards its good. try the nucular controller12f (or24f)... its worth it. driven now 1300km (mainly steep trails in the mountains) and works awesome.

DanGT: yeah im working with cnc-machines now for 10 years. but starting your own stuff is always a tough quest. producing small pneumatic valves and cylinders is not quite the same as a bike conv.

we did our first conversion. worked but there always things to improve. fail/learn/repeat^^
after our 2nd conversion we did a complete bike, cause on a normal bike youre always limited in the way of design...
Actually were building ourselfe a big Autoclave to build a strong carbon frame :) (our bike runs really good, but well theres always something to improve^^)

Feist92 said:
Design is a bit of a c#%t coz its too easy to try and perfect things before making them but if you do that you spend months designing stuff and never make anything.

Dear god do I ever know that feeling.

Back