Need a bombproof rear-hub that can handle 2500 watts

My current set-up is a BBSHD with a PhaseRunner on 75 Volts nominal, around 36 amps. The volts drop a little under load, so I'm seeing about 2500 watts peak. My regular commute involves climbing a 32 degree dirt trail. So the bike is geared very low for climbing. It is single speed with a 30T at the BBSHD output to a 39T in the rear. This king of torque has killed my rear hub. First the Freehub no longer freewheels and I hear occasional crunching in there. I'm pretty sure it's going to be spinning freely soon. If I had to guess, it only hass 200 -300 miles on it. What are some bombproof hubs? The frame can only handle a 135mm dropout width hub. Are there hubs where I can install an ENO freewheel? I know BMX bikes use threaded freewheels, but not sure the width is the same.

aCeMadMod said:
You want find cheap or costly one. Fixed hub is best

Try find old white Ti hub or hope big un Ti or steel.

Or dt swiss 440 hub

I know of a few more open your pocktes

Thank you

Please link to all of these?

Do you ever coast, or are you always using power?

If you don't coast you could skip the freewheel, and use a fixed (track) hub with a cog that is bolted on or even welded on if you use a steel hub.

If you do coast and require the freewheel, then you might consider a "custom" hub that has enough threaded section for two freewheels side by side, so you can use two parallel chains (you'd also need to double up the chainrings up front), to halve the load each freewheel sees.

Full-weight Onyx hub with steel Hyperglide driver is what I would use (and I do!).

Combine that with the XG-899 8 speed SRAM cassette, and I don't think you will have any more problems. Will of course need to pair with the appropriate RD and shifter, and either use their recommended chain or something from Wipperman.

Expensive solution, but so are all the best solutions if you don't want downtime...

Acemadmod's recommend for DT 440 is also a strong choice, actually the model you'd be looking for is the DT Hugi FR (available in 135 for sure). Oldschool by comparison with the Onyx, but effective. Might be tough to buy new, but you could look on Pinkbike...

Hope Big Un' is ancient by comparison... lol. Good luck finding that un.

I second the DT Swiss freehub body design. It has an axial ratchet system, that provides more surface area and engagement than most others on the market. They are very easy to disassemble and rebuild, since it's only 2 springs plus two of the ratchet rings, minus the splined cassette body. Only drawback is the aluminum body will deform where the cogs sit, as they dig into the material from power spikes. I don't know if they make a steel one.

Thinking about just turning the existing hub into a fixed since it's basically what it is right now. I'll open it up and take a look. Maybe I'll throw some JB Weld in there or a bent nail to make sure it's permanently locked up.

hypertoric_amplituhedron said:
I second the DT Swiss freehub body design. It has an axial ratchet system, that provides more surface area and engagement than most others on the market. They are very easy to disassemble and rebuild, since it's only 2 springs plus two of the ratchet rings, minus the splined cassette body. Only drawback is the aluminum body will deform where the cogs sit, as they dig into the material from power spikes. I don't know if they make a steel one.

You can buy the DT freehub body in steel. A bit pricey but it should be good forever. My star ratchets and steel freehub look pretty good after 15000km split between a cyclone and a tangent kit.

could someone link to what a freehub is, why it's useful for geared vs DD setups, what use cases bike types power levels etc

And in generall overall what the alternatives are, pro's and con's?

These are freehubs of all kinds.

the DT swiss design :

the parts labeled at #2 are what we are referring to

post-2596-0-20126600-1377949290.jpg

Though, I wonder how well the shimano silent clutch design handles ebike power? They come on any police bike, which are all around built to be more heavy duty than the standard mtb.

Back