Bafang M500/M600 thread

As this is the M600 dedicated thread I have added my partial tear down notes and video.

Completed the partial strip down of the drive so as to inspect the gears and check the level of lubrication.

The drive came apart quite easily with no special tricks needed.

I can confirm the drive has metal gears throughout. The intermediate gears certainly could have done with more lubrication however it certainly wasn't dry. The final drive gears looked to be lubricated adequately.

This first picture shows the speed controller. A really neat compact unit. Not potted though so water ingress could be an issue. That being said, there is a nice fitting gasket on the cover. Worth noting this drive doesn't look like it uses traditional hall sensors. Instead it has a single magnet on the end of the motor pinion gear which is located behind the shinny circular post just behind the 3 phase plug. This means you will need to take care refitting the speed controller cover as I presume there is a sensor on the speed controller circuit board that picks up a pulse from this magnet.

20191001_170608.jpg

Yo can see the final reduction gear in this picture. Looks to be well lubricated. The bearing setup looks to be well engineered.

20191001_170900.jpg

On the left is the secondary gear reduction. The gear on the far left is the steel gear that replaced the original nylon gear.

20191001_172224.jpg

This picture shows the cavity which the intermediate gear reduction fits into. Looks like you could pack a good amount of grease on the intermediate gears without the issue of grease spilling out. You can also see the magnet on the end of the motor pinion used to sense rotation.

20191001_172243.jpg

[youtube]muSNIUXNNaQ[/youtube]

EBR reviewed the M2S All Terrain M600 FS... "the high quality components match the $3,499 price well." LMAO, what are they smoking?

https://electricbikereview.com/m2s-bikes/all-terrain-m600-fs/

He chrges to review the bikes, so don't expect anything critical; it's more like an infomercial. SunTour forks on a $3500 bike??????

The top end Suntour suspension is actually pretty good and comparably priced to Rockshox ( the Durolux for example).. but they didn't use Durolux... So you're right...

Wow! That’s 15 minutes I’ll never get back. The guy’s on a new F.S. E-bike and he chooses to review it on a flat trail in a couple of gears? What a disappointment.

Hi,
i nearly finished my M600 build (will make an separat thread for this) but I miss two parts.

The bash guard, i got the one from dengfu with the motor but it dosent fit with my frame. There are two version, 520A and 520B.
I have the 520B for the dengfu frame but i need the 520A.

The ebrake cable for the M600.

Dengfu wont help me to get this parts.

Does anyone have some info or connection to get m600 spare parts?

regards

thanks for your awesome M600 tutorials, they are invaluable to a new user (like me)
Can I ask what style/brand of tool you used on the chainring spider lockring? It needs a "deep" tool to clear the end of the axle.
Mike Eatough

Nice to see the Primary gear assembly is fitted with a sprag instead of the pawl-type used in the G510 (Ultra) - that is a big improvement. The wire management and controller connectors also look much improved. I've not been able to find a picture showing the wiring and connectors exiting the motor for connection to the battery, display, speed sensor etc as those are a PITA to work with on the G510. Got pics of those? Thanks for the teardown pics and video!

Leeleeducati said:
Bafang spline and ISIS spline are not compatible.

What the heck? Why on earth would Bafang do that? What is the length of the stock M600 cranks?

I've got a G510 (Ultra) equipped bike and the stock cranks were the worst - 175mm long with a ridiculous amount of unnecessary material outboard of the spindle bore making them effectively almost 200mm long with the result that they stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb - swapping them out for some Miranda 155mm cranks was the best upgrade I made to that bike.

That limitation could be a deal breaker for me which would be a shame cuz the M600 looks otherwise like a well-designed unit for eMTBs.

The ones I received with my M600 are 170mm. Can't tell from the photos, but center to center looks to be true 170mm.

Attachments

• IMG_8319.jpg
    IMG_8319.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 6,885
  • IMG_8320.jpg
    IMG_8320.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 6,885
  • IMG_8321.jpg
    IMG_8321.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 6,885
Yes, its a shame these can not be had in 160mm. I think for this bike a shorter crank arm would better. Not so easy to have new holes and also have them tapped for new placement as the left hand thread for one side makes for a pricey order. Also if one wanted to shorten these arms and have new holes you may have to go with a 155mm spacing to allow enough casting on the arm outbound of the hole placement. The crank arms are kind of clunky compared to the motor that is for sure. Not sure if its feesable for new tapped hole placement as this will sadly cost us. :( ....wayne

Wondering if it would be possible get the cranks undrilled. There's probably enough metal there to move the pedals 10mm inboard and cut the excess length off. Definitely need to be shorter.

Marmalade it will be pricey for sure and you would need to change the spacing by more than 10 mm that is for sure. One more good reason to ride with a throttle on this bike :)

Would cutting out a piece from the midsection and welding back together an option? Any ideas why Bafang would choose a proprietary spline? Maybe they will revise that design if they realize it is a mistake.

It's really disappointing they went with a proprietary crank. Probably saves them money somehow. And OEMs and most of their customers most likely are not going to care. I'm sure OEM sales are much more common.

No, you cannot (rather, should not) cut+weld a bike crank, it will be seriously weakened metalurgically. Cranks are typically forged heat treated for max strength for their size and shape, welding will take lots of that strength away (leading to bending and eventual failure around the weld from riders weight and load).

Unlikely you can get them un-drilled and tapped. Very unlikely.

Best bet, contact Miranda parts company and see when they will have an aftermarket option available, I would imagine they have it on their radar since they cater to ebike parts.

Manufacturing replacement cranks to bafang spline is the only decent option I see. Thermonuclear option ($$$) would be to metal print new cranks on a Markforged Metal X, they make some damn fine components.

For me, it's definitely a massive turn-off and I will not consider adopting their crank standard, or using M600 in any build until either they revise to industry standard, or somebody makes a crank... I would not switch back to 170mm mid-drive ebike cranks now that I've been loving the 152mm Mirandas on my G510.

From manufacturing/engineering perspective, I have no goddamn clue or good excuse on Bafangs behalf for making this change. Stupid!

overdrive said:
Hi,
i nearly finished my M600 build (will make an separat thread for this) but I miss two parts.

The bash guard, i got the one from dengfu with the motor but it dosent fit with my frame. There are two version, 520A and 520B.
I have the 520B for the dengfu frame but i need the 520A.

The ebrake cable for the M600.

I have the same problem. I need the brake cable, but can´t find anyone selling it.
Also looking for shorter crank arms, no luck.

I am working in it to get the brake cabel which are compatible with the yellow higo plugs.
I will inform you asap it is available.
Are there more people around here who want to have this cable?

El_Topo said:
Leeleeducati said:
Bafang spline and ISIS spline are not compatible.
Very disappointing, thanks for reporting.

I have see some people who is using the Sram EX1 crankset in the Bafang motor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL15d05SkfY

overdrive said:
I am working in it to get the brake cabel which are compatible with the yellow higo plugs.
I will inform you asap it is available.
Are there more people around here who want to have this cable?

Let me know if you have a source for that ebrake cable that plugs into port #2? I’d be interested in one. Thanks.

Hi,

I am thinking of changing my m400 to m600. A question in relation to m600 motor, the size and fitting is is the same as m400? See attached fitting on my city ebike. Will it fit what should I consider a new motor? Many thanks.
B57C0B86-4A0B-4718-A921-3D6057F2B372.jpeg

Back