Crash Thread - lucky

Well when I fell over the handlebars and to the side, I had momentum and the bikes front wheel stayed pretty much on one side of the sidewalk, the handlebars slammed into to sidewalk, wrecking the smooth movement of the lever. I think my shoulder probably hit the the grass on the other side of the sidewalk.

When I got up, I played it cool and laughed a bit, then said to myself out loud its the first crash of 2019... just in case anyone saw me. I knew the old guy in the walker probably saw me. I didnt really look around because I was more concerned about my health. But I got up pretty quickly on purpose to get going again, in case anyone saw me and wanted to come to help.

I had an incident last year where I was doing donuts on a baseball diamond, knowingly making large ruts. It was right beside an old age home, or a 55+/60+ condo. I crashed hard as my rear wheel collapsed, that one hurt quite a bit and I got up slowly, thinking no one saw me. However this one old lady saw me, and came out and was willing to drive me home. I declined the offer and called someone for a ride. That same year, not even 100ft away from the most recent crash, it was winter time. Townhome city housing for poor people shovelled but left a big mound on their enter/exit-way. It was dark out so I did not see the mount of black hard packed snow, and I went a flying on that occasion too.

mattthemuppet said:
get up and see if no one's looking

markz said:
Well when I fell over the handlebars and to the side, I had momentum and the bikes front wheel stayed pretty much on one side of the sidewalk, the handlebars slammed into to sidewalk, wrecking the smooth movement of the lever. I think my shoulder probably hit the the grass on the other side of the sidewalk.

When I got up, I played it cool and laughed a bit, then said to myself out loud its the first crash of 2019... just in case anyone saw me. I knew the old guy in the walker probably saw me. I didnt really look around because I was more concerned about my health. But I got up pretty quickly on purpose to get going again, in case anyone saw me and wanted to come to help.

I had an incident last year where I was doing donuts on a baseball diamond, knowingly making large ruts. It was right beside an old age home, or a 55+/60+ condo. I crashed hard as my rear wheel collapsed, that one hurt quite a bit and I got up slowly, thinking no one saw me. However this one old lady saw me, and came out and was willing to drive me home. I declined the offer and called someone for a ride. That same year, not even 100ft away from the most recent crash, it was winter time. Townhome city housing for poor people shovelled but left a big mound on their enter/exit-way. It was dark out so I did not see the mount of black hard packed snow, and I went a flying on that occasion too.

mattthemuppet said:
get up and see if no one's looking
You LUCKY guy, I wasn't so LUCKY!
Monday on my normal 50 mile fun ride, I didn't finish it. UNLESS you count the ride to the ER. Riding the Sun coast Bike path, I misjudged a turn and slid off the edge of the trail and tried to get back on but didn't. Slid to a stop after landing on my left shoulder. Laid on my back for about ten minutes, before I could move. Managed to sit up then slowly got up. Lifted my bike up. Only damage I've seen so far is my thermos and holder. what I couldn't see was my broken arm. Bone broken just below the ball & socket. So now I have a Titanium rod and screws holding them together. I hurts a little right now and surgery was 27 hours ago. Just got home 2 hours ago and the first post I see is a crash!

Oh I forgot the 13 mile ride to a place so I could get a ride to the hospital. That was painful and hilarious. My left had on the bars and riding. I felt the movement and thought my hand moved while not turning. WOW was that mind blowing.

Dan

John in CR said:
.........Crash statistics prove otherwise. ........

Please point to the statistics.

DAND214 said:
I hurts a little right now and surgery was 27 hours ago. Just got home 2 hours ago and the first post I see is a crash!

Get well, Dan! I hope your arm heals completely and process would be as painless as possible.

Also, why you been discharged from hospital so fast? Doesn't it takes about a week long post-op observation after such invasive treatment?

Skorohod said:
DAND214 said:
I hurts a little right now and surgery was 27 hours ago. Just got home 2 hours ago and the first post I see is a crash!

Get well, Dan! I hope your arm heals completely and process would be as painless as possible.

Also, why you been discharged from hospital so fast? Doesn't it takes about a week long post-op observation after such invasive treatment?
Thanks for the get well wishes.
Well I guess it doesn't take that long anymore. I broke my rt ankle 9 years ago and it was next morning release after surgery!

Feels not too bad after all. had 3 nurses in two days. They are amazed that I am doing as well as I am. I guess they expected a weak tired old man. Well I am 69 years young. Go to see the surgeon Wednesday, gonna see when I can ride again. It's getting cold, like it's down to the mid 60's at night:lol:

Keep those pics of Moscow coming, love em.

Dan

I just had a crash today. I was on a single track through the low brush and tall grasses which were almost like hay it seemed like but it cant be. It was like a glorified wide piece of grass except it was yellow and much taller.

Anyway, that stuff was overhanging the path 3' up, and once I got off the bike to go over the 5th log, I got back on and was 10' down a windy path right next to the Bow River going slow, when the front wheel went into a hole. I went over the handlebars and over onto the hay like yellow grass. I layed there kinda smirking as it was an easy layover to the side. No one was around except some fly fisherman a half a km (1/3mile) up the river. Yes I was fishing too and trying to stay out of the wind.

I must say I have been riding more and more single track. Yesterday I went exploring in Fishcreek Provincial Park which is basically a city park, and the track was amazing. Just enough mud holes to make it interesting. I prefer easy tracks. Its almost like meditation.

markz said:
I just had a crash today. I was on a single track through the low brush and tall grasses which were almost like hay it seemed like but it cant be. It was like a glorified wide piece of grass except it was yellow and much taller.

Anyway, that stuff was overhanging the path 3' up, and once I got off the bike to go over the 5th log, I got back on and was 10' down a windy path right next to the Bow River going slow, when the front wheel went into a hole. I went over the handlebars and over onto the hay like yellow grass. I layed there kinda smirking as it was an easy layover to the side. No one was around except some fly fisherman a half a km (1/3mile) up the river. Yes I was fishing too and trying to stay out of the wind.

I must say I have been riding more and more single track. Yesterday I went exploring in Fishcreek Provincial Park which is basically a city park, and the track was amazing. Just enough mud holes to make it interesting. I prefer easy tracks. Its almost like meditation.
Well, you've got me beat. I won't be crashing for a couple months. DR rule. Gotta let it heal before I crash again :lol: Something I don't/gonna do again :!:

Dan

Worth the wait:
https://abc7.com/amp/driver-sought-in-violent-silver-lake-crash-caught-on-video/5651433/?__twitter_impression=true :shock:

Attachments

• 0E366C44-F630-4512-AC63-51F296A1EF8F.jpeg
    0E366C44-F630-4512-AC63-51F296A1EF8F.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3,112
  • 657255BE-AE67-4059-A69D-05D6EB08DFEA.jpeg
    657255BE-AE67-4059-A69D-05D6EB08DFEA.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,112
I've been lucky yesterday. Heavy fog have been frozen through the night and leaved behind easy-to-overlook patches of thin ice on tarmac. I fell on the side with my bike in a icy turn (i think, that was typical "lowside"). No injury, just slightly cracked my mirror, displaced handlebar a little and get some frozen asphalt in my handle grip. My luck is no cars were around when i fell. Got a reminder, though: ice is slippery, my tires are for summertime, tarmac is hard when you fall on it :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B47COxFoB92/

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00007.jpg
    Image00007.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2,965
  • Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 2,965
I've had two crashes in a week.

First one was black ice going around a corner, so luckily I had slowed down.

Second one
back end slid out

Looking back from the same spot as the following pictures.
crash lookiing back.jpg

26x2" front motor wheel and a 26x4" rear

crash 2.jpg

View attachment 3

You can see how far the handle bar dug into the snow/gnd.
View attachment 2

Armor up to ride like that. Motorcycle jackets make a crash a lot more comfy.

Since we're laughing at our own misfortune I might as well join in.

Few weeks back I was in our driveway bs'ing with a buddy of mine and said "wanna see something cool?" Went to do a burnout. Squeezed the front brake, pushed down and forward while straddling the bike. Leaned on the throttle and immediately landed on my back, still gripping the bars, wheels pointing towards the sky.

Apparently the worn concrete with the exposed aggregate offered a bit more traction than I was expecting. Lucky I didn't split my skull, but my back was none too happy for a few days.

I will never live that down.

Literally 3 days later, I'm riding around the yard with my kid on his strider and me on the Raptor. End up curbside talking to some passer-by. My kid starts to disappear around the far side of the house so I excuse myself to catch up to him. Hit the throttle, up on one wheel. All good, except I'm heading straight towards the side of the house. Still all good, I just lean, annnnnd the sod tears from the earth and slips out from underneath me like a cheap throw rug. Went down with a hard lowside. Both rotator cuffs aching. Bars spun nearly 90 degrees on the steerer tube. Thumb throttle dangling.

Some shoe goo and electrical tape and the throttle is usable until I can get another, whenever that might be.

markz said:
like a cheap throw rug.

You're not wrong. Northern side of the house, under a big cedar. Soft ground, no light, and apparently not many roots either. :lol:

Lol great thread. Sorta.

Ive crashed my bike twice now doing stupid stuff. Ripped the CA off, among other things, last time. Mmmmm ShoeGoo.

I have not used studded tires and still ride glare ice in patches with ease. Its when its ice + water on top where my shoes and feet dont like it. Wet feet while ebiking and not pedaling is not fun.

I was cruising pretty fast (30-35kph) along a doubled single track, I guess you could call it a quad track and there was some dried up overflow river water that hadnt quite all dried up. The front wheel started to slide out and I caught myself from falling with my foot. A little bit of mud sprayed past the mud guard and the one shoe got some mud and I lost all but a little of my momentum. I shook it off and went to wide open throttle again.

I crashed today, it was a single track that kind of had another track right beside it, inches away. Then a 3rd track 2' away.
Well that other track dipped 5" down and I slide out and fell, no save like previous post. This time I fell in the correct position, and again, missed the mud and water puddle. But the grass had some dew on it. The culprit -map- you can obviously see both trails, but its the lightly shaded one inches from each other, not a foot. I layed on the ground for a few minutes looking up at the sky and laughing, its so much fun.

Just messing about, no real objectives for the day other then have fun! About my 4th or 5th time riding Nose Hill Park. The problem with that hill is there are some valley traps that if your not careful you will be climbing some very steep hills. Right above the 16km mark, a valley that really needs a mid drive to crush its terrain.

I told this story elsewhere, but I should immortalize it here for humility reasons... I recently had a stupid low speed wreck. 20" front tire found a hole in the dark and stopped dead from like 10mph. The rest of the bike and I didn't. I landed on my head and was knocked out in the street, in the dark. Luckily someone saw it happen and blocked the lane, called 911.

I was lucky, I got the only open bed in the ER. The nurse told me the rest were there for Covid-19. I cracked my skull, concussion, and had some stitches, but no serious injuries. I spend the next 2 weeks in self quarantine, just to be safe. but since I work from home and the girlfriend is off taking care of her elderly parents, that part wasn't much different from my normal weeks.

It's been almost a month now, and my head is still too tender to put on a helmet. but with a crack, I can't risk not riding without one. I can almost fully use my arm again, and I'm getting bored. Getting hurt sucks most because of the boredom afterwords. I want to ride!

I had promised the girlfriend and several other friends who know me well enough that I wouldn't try anything crazy while the pandemic is in full swing. And I agree, the hospital bed I might take up because I was stupid could be a bed needed by someone who needs it for reasons not their fault, and with hospitals near-full to totally-full, that's a real problem. So I wasn't trail riding. My Monster bike is in storage. I didn't even order batteries for the higher powered bikes, so they are still parked. I only have batteries for my 2 lowest speed, low powered ebikes, and I was riding like a tourist all spring. I turned down an offer to go hang gliding. I turned down an offer to go rock climbing. Heck, I even turned down buying that Hyabusa engine and the golfcart frame because the risk was too high right now. (it would have been epic) I was being a good boy. Honest. And I still end up in the ER.

Back