High performance & durability Cannondale Semi Recumbent

ScooterMan101 said:
The way to have a 2 ( or even 3 wheel recumbent ) is to make the frame on both sides of you , where you sit down inside the frame for lower center of gravity , the ability to use larger wheels , and to have a more upright sitting position while still aerodynamic

http://rohorn.blogspot.com/2006/11/my-first-venture-into-recumbent-design.html

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UdTqzMtkJMM/V9NcBxjLGbI/AAAAAAAABX0/Pk9YViUF9DUWZ1UyTRPPDkRwMVI67htDwCLcB/s1600/PIC_0128-2.jpg

For those of you who are new to recumbents, I used to have a collection of recumbent magazines, which I donated to college engineering school. I just found a few issues of one of them online....Encycleopedia.

https://issuu.com/search?q=Encycleopedia

The same folks produced one called Bike Culture Quarterly too.

ScooterMan101 said:
The way to have a 2 ( or even 3 wheel recumbent ) is to make the frame on both sides of you , where you sit down inside the frame for lower center of gravity , the ability to use larger wheels , and to have a more upright sitting position while still aerodynamic

This is why CrazyBIke2 ended up with a "space frame" sort of thing, below the seat. I have a better design in my head for it, but it will weigh more because the frame is at least three times as much material.

The SB Cruiser trike, in it's present form, is a space frame as well, up to the front of the seat (which is much less like a recumbent and more like a chair, but doesnt' have to be). Past that, it's more like a normal bike frame, and that does have a failure point (the junction between them) that requires some kind of triangulation, which will probably be basically a curved space frame around the whole front end from outer corners of seatbox to the headtube.

The Raine Trike uses three 26" wheels because the deck is suspended below them, insead fo riding above the axles. SBC will be like that eventually, or at least a future incarnation of it will.

BUt the frames are a lot heaveir (2-3 times) than they would be if they were simple "two dimensional" types.

Thank you for checking in with me, thundercamel. :bolt:

Me and my wife split but were living together for a while. For some time, the feeling was mutual and everything was cool. Then she started emotionally terrorizing me and told me she was bringing in another man into the house... "a friend" to help her go through her stuff, and warned that if i didn't leave, i would probably hear things i didn't want to hear.

I could have honored the request but did not feel comfortable with someone i don't know, who has been made hostile to me by her, in my property with my possessions. I initially said i would leave, but then decided to stay, and face the guy, and ruin their night.

I wasn't aware that i had these territorial instincts. I would have likely slammed the guy's face into the wall, just based on the fact he'd be so arrogant to come into a home that me and a person i have 10 years of history with, without my consent. So instead of potentially doing something stupid, i packed everything of value into my car and left, with the help of a friend, because i am still a little disabled.

Yes, but what about the bikes..

All my bikes and tools are sitting in a friend's bedroom and it is unlikely i will be getting back to the build for some weeks. No promises. I have a lot of work things, legal things, and emotional things to sort out. My life is an absolute mess.

So life has been pretty rough, but on the upside, i am currently renting the lower part of a good friend's house, and taking great care of myself - meditating, eating right, journaling, etc. And i also have the removal of my frame to look forward to.
I am also back at the gym full time, and doing 30lb, going on 50lb single leg squats on the operated leg... :mrgreen:

The nukes hit and it's time to rebuild. :flame:

Oh damn. Wasn't following recently; didnt know you were going through a difficult time. But, busy hands better than a busy mind. So, maybe working on the bike can help you move forward and build a new beginning.

bakaneko said:
Oh damn. Wasn't following recently; didnt know you were going through a difficult time. But, busy hands better than a busy mind. So, maybe working on the bike can help you move forward and build a new beginning.

Yeah actually, i went into the back yard and wrenched on one today; feels good :)

It's good to hear from you. It always saddens me how long relationships can turn ugly so quickly, and how ugly they get! You made the right decision to take the high road.

thundercamel said:
It's good to hear from you. It always saddens me how long relationships can turn ugly so quickly, and how ugly they get! You made the right decision to take the high road.

Oh man i've been processing a shit ton of thoughts on that topic. Thinking about where things went wrong.. how i could become a better partner in the future.. how do i avoid these sorts of situations, etc. The amount of insights about my personality, and some underlying shit i've not wanted to think about have been bubbling up.

It's been a ride and a half.

I threw myself on an online dating site, just to see, and was shocked at what kind of women i can attract today, after a decade of work on my body, career, and mind. I realized that my confidence and self image when i met my ex was trash.
I haven't moved on anyone and don't think it'd be appropriate to, but i dunno, there's a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow and that's a pretty rad thing to look forward to.

As far as my leg goes, i have the final CT scan in 2 weeks. One of the pins in my leg is still acting up. It's hard to walk, but somehow not hard to squat 110lbs ( which is my previous record ) or push 350 watts through my legs.

tibia balancing.jpg

I hope to get back to biking very soon.. it's turned into an activity that hurts though, and has been out of my mind for a while. :confused:

Good work, and I really hope the biking doesn't hurt for much longer.

For what it's worth, I met my wife on eharmony. This was before the age of swipe right apps, and trying match.com beforehand just seemed like people looking for hookups. It seemed to me that the added expense of eharmony helped filter the users to be mostly looking for a serious relationship. It was still a bunch of work; I had been on there about a year, doing their 3-month discount rate several times. Been on several dates and a few repeat dates. Stefanie had paid for a whole year full price, planning to take her time, and I was the first guy she met! Right off the bat, we just got along so easily, and still do. A lunch turned into a movie, and a forest preserve walk.

No rush though, just have fun :)

neptronix said:
Oh man i've been processing a shit ton of thoughts on that topic. Thinking about where things went wrong.. how i could become a better partner in the future.. how do i avoid these sorts of situations, etc. The amount of insights about my personality, and some underlying shit i've not wanted to think about have been bubbling up.

It's been a ride and a half.

[youtube]OX0OARBqBp0[/youtube]

thundercamel said:
For what it's worth, I met my wife on eharmony. This was before the age of swipe right apps, and trying match.com beforehand just seemed like people looking for hookups. It seemed to me that the added expense of eharmony helped filter the users to be mostly looking for a serious relationship. It was still a bunch of work; I had been on there about a year, doing their 3-month discount rate several times. Been on several dates and a few repeat dates. Stefanie had paid for a whole year full price, planning to take her time, and I was the first guy she met! Right off the bat, we just got along so easily, and still do. A lunch turned into a movie, and a forest preserve walk.

I've never used tinder or any of that other bullshit. Sex is easy, love is not. I always date on okcupid, because it has a lot of features that appeals to nerds. And you're almost guaranteed to find a gal on there who can appreciate the intense nerdiness of people like us :bigthumb:

eHarmony told me that there were no matches for me :lol: on okcupid, i've always had my pick of the litter of a dozen women who were either geeks or geek appreciators :bolt:

I did meet a woman on there a few days ago. She's a surgery technician who is an amazing visual artist and practices yoga, has a nurturing and sweet nature, yet doesn't mind a good fart joke. She's also pretty smart. And hot ( boy am i glad i lost weight and hit the gym over the last 6 years, otherwise i'd have no chance of landing a 39 year old that looks like a 25 year old!! ). I'm still waiting to find out what the small print is on a woman like this... :lol:

I didn't want to rebound, but i couldn't help respond to a message she sent me. I had to know if a woman like her was actually real. I was honest about wearing a spatial frame on my tibia in my profile, so go figure, the one woman who approaches me has a career in cutting people up!

She is similar enough to my ex wife, that i knew how to talk and relate to her right off the bat. I took her to some of the same places i took my ex and she LOVED it. But she's different enough that the personality attributes that caused problems in my previous relationship aren't present in her. We are both the 'giver' types that usually dated colder people, so i don't know how that dynamic works over the long term. However, two people who are used to showering affection on their partner as a means of keeping an otherwise shitty relationship going results in some pretty amazing physical experiences, let's say :mrgreen:.

We've however both had to practice accepting affection and kindness because neither of us are used to that! And it's frocking funny when we notice we're rejecting kind acts and being too individualistic!

My ex of 10 years was also a 'first date on okcupid' after i moved from California to Oregon. okcupid is really good for narrowing down people and saving you tons of time! I wouldn't date any other way!

My ex put up a profile on okcupid and i had to laugh because all her profile pictures had her scowling or looking at the camera sideways, yet not smiling. :lol: she hasn't done the physical and mental self improvement work i've done on myself over these years, and it really shows.

I've had plenty of time to sit back and think about whether this is a rebound or not. I've meditated on it for at least 5 hours over the course of a week. I don't think it is. I think that actually, this relationship is closer to being therapeutic for both of us. The timing wasn't right, and i didn't think this would turn into anything serious, but that doesn't matter.

I'm finally back to getting consistent sleep. I'm deeply at peace, having swapped someone my mortal enemy for someone who accepts me for who i am. I was so messed up from that last relationship that i felt unloveable. But no - it was just the wrong person.. and a lot of damage and resentments.

Oh yeah, this is supposed to be a build thread.. :lol:

...i got nothing for now, one pin in my leg has been acting up a lot and i haven't really been able to ride a bike for a while. All leg energy has been expended on being someone's new boyfriend and doing datesy stuff like walks in the park, etc.

I'm getting a final CT scan on my leg in 7 days and they'll give me a date when the frame gets removed after that. I expect my interest in building electric bikes will be exponential after that. :thumb:

neptronix said:
Me and my wife split but were living together for a while. For some time, the feeling was mutual and everything was cool. Then she started emotionally terrorizing me and told me she was bringing in another man into the house... "a friend" to help her go through her stuff, and warned that if i didn't leave, i would probably hear things i didn't want to hear.

I could have honored the request but did not feel comfortable with someone i don't know, who has been made hostile to me by her, in my property with my possessions. I initially said i would leave, but then decided to stay, and face the guy, and ruin their night.

I wasn't aware that i had these territorial instincts. I would have likely slammed the guy's face into the wall, just based on the fact he'd be so arrogant to come into a home that me and a person i have 10 years of history with, without my consent. So instead of potentially doing something stupid, i packed everything of value into my car and left, with the help of a friend, because i am still a little disabled.

Sick stuff, bringing in another dude! Some might be into "open relationships" but in this situation, it sounds to me that you definitely saved your ass.

About the fork: I got mine from the supplier who was supposed to make it "up to specifications". Well, turned out to be 3cm to tall so it wouldn't recommend that guy to anyone...

Yeah thankfully all that shit is in the rear view mirror now and i've found a partner that is loads better as a person, and is cuter.. :banana:

I figured that fork thing would not work out, but at least you tried. I don't know what to do with the fork on this bike, other than just stick the biggest tire i can fit on the current fork.

I got the best phone call a neptronix could ever get today. The frame is ready to be taken off my leg. I have it removed next week. I'm incredibly excited. I start a new life very soon and can't wait to get back to riding and building bikes :bigthumb:

Like building a more upright , longer wheelbase , more simple fairing version of this ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=velotilt&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwih2ITT2JLlAhXWFjQIHZN3ChcQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1097&bih=490&dpr=1.75

neptronix said:
I start a new life very soon and can't wait to get back to riding and building bikes :bigthumb:

neptronix said:
Yeah thankfully all that shit is in the rear view mirror now and i've found a partner that is loads better as a person, and is cuter.. :banana:

I figured that fork thing would not work out, but at least you tried. I don't know what to do with the fork on this bike, other than just stick the biggest tire i can fit on the current fork.

I got the best phone call a neptronix could ever get today. The frame is ready to be taken off my leg. I have it removed next week. I'm incredibly excited. I start a new life very soon and can't wait to get back to riding and building bikes :bigthumb:

Looks like the sun is shine again in nepppy's land :)
Congrats on your new GF and the healing process; looking forward to see the end of that adventure with cannondale.
Yeah: I need to find someone to do proper quality control in china. Not planning to fly over for something as trivial as a fork, but in the long term, it might be worthwhile to dig up a trustworthy middleman.

ScooterMan101 said:
Like building a more upright , longer wheelbase , more simple fairing version of this ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=velotilt&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwih2ITT2JLlAhXWFjQIHZN3ChcQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1097&bih=490&dpr=1.75

That'd be a dream come true. I wish i was in a place where i had the facilities to start welding up aluminum frames and such. It's a place i'd like to be in a few years.

I won't be around here much because i'm working on finally starting 3 businesses that will help me live out some of those lifelong dreams. I gotta tack aerodynamic bits onto this cute cannondale in the meantime. :)

Also, thanks for your kind words, qwerkus!

Man and machine are no longer one.

img (1).jpg

img.jpg

The people in my social circles have all kinds of entertaining ideas of what to do with the hardware that i requested to keep. For kicks, i'd like to hear yours too :)
My thought is to figure out a way to integrate it into this bike. As this bike was purchased with the intention of being something i could ride while recovering from this surgery. I figure that one half of this frame could be implemented into the bicycle's design, whether it be functional or just decoration.

I am probably a month out from being able to ride a bicycle again because the soft tissue healing is a pretty intense process! just in time for winter to creep in :lol: but i have some fairing ideas for making winter riding comfortable to the point of, which can only work well on a recumbent. I want to show the advantage of this kind of bike.

Congrats! I can only think of mounting it on the handlebars as a giant reticle, or mounting it on the rear to hold a rocket motor. An air tank for a locomotive horn is also acceptable.

5b32936d73ea870011033f57_2%20MIL%20elevation%20hold.jpg

thundercamel said:
Congrats! I can only think of mounting it on the handlebars as a giant reticle, or mounting it on the rear to hold a rocket motor. An air tank for a locomotive horn is also acceptable.

:lol:

wturber said:
The full circle piece on the right might make a swell chain ring guard.

That could work. I think my heel might smack against it because it's pretty thick tho. And also weighs a pound!

Just a quick update. I'm walking with a cane since having this frame removed, and am able to engage my knee muscles to propel myself forwards again. The searing pain in my hip and ankle that's been with me for years is starting to fade into nothing as i'm moving more in harmony with how a leg was designed to move.

When forces in the joint are right, it starts a regenerative and anti inflammatory process. When forces aren't correct, the inflammatory and degenerative process begins. I find it interesting how rapid the shift has been for me. It's 40 degrees out and I forgot to take ibuprofen and didn't pay for it, and walked half a mile!

I am wearing something of a soft cast on my leg while the holes heal. I'm told that i lose the soft cast on November 1st. This is when i'll be able to ride a bike again. Sometimes Utah gives us a break and it's sunny and above freezing through most of November. If not, i will probably construct a fairing to deal with the cold wind and ride anyway. Pedaling will double as a form of mental and physical therapy for me.

My tibia is currently a bit 'swiss cheese', so i am taking it easy on the ducking, bending, and twisting movements that are needed for building an ebike.

Watch this space!

Got some bad news from the doc. He says that i don't have enough bone to bicycle on the road because of the emergency stops where you suddenly throw your leg out and put a big load on it..

..i totally understand this, because on a recumbent, you do often throw a leg out to get stopped or deal with a slow speed emergency situation :/

Anyway i've progressed to walking without a cane, even up/down stairs. My legs are feeling hugely improved and i'm learning a new way to walk. Things are looking up for me, and there is a LOT of building and riding i want to do.

I think this year is toast for me riding and building, and that sucks but that's life. See ya next year.

Quick update. I still cannot crouch because some ligaments are still very tight in the inside of my right knee. I'm looking for one of those 'creeper' thingies that mechanics use to easily slide in/out from underneath a car so that i can get back to building :thumb:

I'm walking without a cane full time, and started physical therapy and made rapid progress in reducing pain and increasing the pace i walk at in literally the first day of changing how my feet touch the ground.
My shoes make different sounds than they used to.

I can say that bone realignment osteotomies are magic for arthritis that's caused by misalignment. Despite various potholes in my cartilage surfaces of all leg joints, i'm doing amazing and walking more confidently and naturally every day. I've stopped taking ibuprofen and only have a little tingle of pain here and there, when i occasionally forget my new movement pattern.

I just wonder how many more cool things i could have built over the last couple years if i didn't feel like i was falling apart at the seams.

A huge burden is off my shoulders and am excited to make up for lost time.

This thread will be about actually building things in the near future. Promise :thumb:

Just a quick update..

I've completed physical therapy and am doing amazing.. haven't taken an ibuprofen for weeks.. not noticing any physical limitations.. the surgeon/doctor has cleared me to do anything i want to do, so the first thing i did was lift a 200lbs person, help someone move heavy shit, and then proceeded to ride an 'acoustic bike' a couple dozen miles on an odd sunny day :lol:

The bike is together but i have some wiring issues to sort and am waiting for another odd day with good temperatures to go outside and solder some harnesses together..

Can't wait for winter to be over!

Back