Wayne’s Dengfu Carbon Fibre FS 27.5” with Bafang M600 (throttle also)

Yes, you're pretty much spot on for the two 13S5P 48V batteries I built last month with the BMS's that the battery seller supplied. The cutoff is around 39V. As I'm submitting my battery order today, I've just added a 14S 20A BMS and 52V 2A charger, and I'll have the flexibility to build either 48 or 52V. As I have requested a second empty battery case, it might be tempting to use the second one to build a lightweight 21700 5A 13S1P reserve battery to carry as a backup.

Thanks for those links, I'll have a look.

How to remove your battery if you don't have a key. https://youtu.be/hDMUdn7omyE

waynebergman said:
Got a response from Bafang themselves today regarding my questions on the connectors. purple orange.jpg
Photo here shows some new insights. Looks like the connector labeled in purple #1 is split out to 4 other connectors. The circle in orange shows the 4 into 1 splitter but on my bike I did not see this as its most likley hidden between the motor and the frame somewhere. The good news is the motor does in fact support a throttle. The 4 into 1 split has the throttle as a 3 pin so this makes sense. I see from the support PDF document with the chinese text and drawing the the connector labeled in purple #2 is actually for the e-brakes so this is starting to make sense. Makes me think the other 6 pin purple under the chain stay is for a stop light but not sure.

Hi Wayne, in the wiring diagram pic, does the bottom cable in the red circle (with the four wires) look like it is looping back to the battery? With the picture cut on the bottom I can’t tell where that cable goes? Any comments would help.

Revisiting the question of whether to go with a 52 or 48V build for the battery pack, I stumbled across a Youtube post that examines that question and tries a 52V battery on an M600. My apologies if this was already referenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2IPtda_LFo

Hi Leeleeducati , sorry I can not remember where that cable goes. If I have to remove the motor for any reason I can look further into this for you.

Thanks anyway. Any idea where that wiring diagram pic came from? If someone has the original with the bottom portion showing that could clarify things.

Hi Leeleeducati. It looks like I posted the screen shot originally so I got to looking around in my files and I found this. Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.15.54 AM.jpg
Hope this helps. Just curious, I have forgoten what stage you are at with your drive and ride. Are you making your own battery pack to work with this drive?

That’s perfect! Thanks soo much. So the battery does go back to that cable harness...interesting. I’m just collecting some pieces for the next build for now, got the M600 and OEM Bafang battery, no rush as I’m aiming for the next riding season. When I ordered the drive, they sent some cables which weren’t correct and then they sent some more so I’m just sorting through them. My throttle cable is the round yellow three prong connection (not the triangle yellow three prong). It all works, it’s not that loud at all powered at my desk. I connected all but that mystery BUS cableback that now we’ve confirmed goes back to the battery. My ebrake cable won’t work now as it was supposed to go to port one which is now taken up by the main display/throttle cable. Anyone interested in this drive needs to specify cable configuration at the start or it’s Bafang’s random choice.

Yes Leeleeducati Bafang has been bad in my experience for attention to detail when it comes to replacement parts. Most likely its due the english/chineese translation and they just grab something off the shelf that has worked for the last application of repair or who knows what.

Anyways I will be most interested in seeing how you make out, if you got your motor and wiring supplied recently it may work totally different than mine as I am sure they have made changes since last Sept or October 2018 when I received mine. I have always thought this whole com port thing was a bunch of un needed nonsense. I think for me because my battery and throttle communicate to each other through the cabling supplied in 2018 I am stuck working with that, and I hope future battery packs from Banfang and wiring harnesses will work with my kind of prototype unit (I think I was first with throttle in North America). I just hope nothing goes wrong with any of the components, because if I have to order replacement parts like a battery pack, or wiring harness I am not sure if it will even be compatable with what I got. I say this because I really dont understand how it all works I guess, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Keep us in the Loop Leeleeducati, always interested in how others make this drive work for them..........wayne

Pictures are always good... you can see the three wires that make up the yellow triangle plug off the battery, haven’t plugged it into the display cable end yet, haven’t built up the nerve to fry anything yet :) this is my cable config. No middle port ebrake cable yet. Might try and find one somewhere? As mentioned there’s many cable variations that plug the same way into port on the drive. The middle has been consistent for ebrake only and port three consistent for speed sensor.

Attachments

• 343C35F8-F675-40BF-BC7C-57F2F44C3DA6.jpeg
    343C35F8-F675-40BF-BC7C-57F2F44C3DA6.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,693
  • 269661AD-09F4-4227-8832-6FF951CAB8D9.jpeg
    269661AD-09F4-4227-8832-6FF951CAB8D9.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 4,693
  • C2EAEB91-288B-4AF7-BA79-84D134026D32.jpeg
    C2EAEB91-288B-4AF7-BA79-84D134026D32.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 4,693
View attachment 2View attachment 1Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 6.25.48 PM.jpgHi Leeleeducati, just checking.........in your previous photos that I have also attached here, I have added some colored circles for referance.
I am assuming the cables circled in yelo are for your throttle? Can you tell me please what the two wires are - that are circled in Red in the first photo?
I dont have anything like these wires showing in the Red circle so a little puzzled. I am guessing it is for a stop light or something if going with ebrakes?

Because the OEM battery packs have the com/port stuff and seem to supply needed power going directly to the throttle I am wondering how others have by passed giving low voltage to the throttle directly from an after markeet or home made battery pack. I am guessing if others with home made battery packs are giving low voltage to the throttle through the controler instead of through the battery pack but not sure how this is done.

The two leads circled in red are a voltage out. I measured, it's a constant 3.57V on a fully charged battery. I'm guessing for an always on taillight. As for the two yellow circled connections, they go together for the BUS battery cable connection. They are both Bafang's yellow triangle 3prong connectors. The lead from the battery for this yellow triangle connection is short, but that one I can extend. I did inquire about an extension cable for this connection but haven't heard back yet. My throttle connection is a round yellow three prong cable that goes into that main wiring harness along with the display and BUS. I don't believe the BUS cable has anything to do with the throttle, it's just for all this battery data that can be accessed in the display menu. I've also inquired about the middle port ebrake cable, still waiting on that.

The interesting thing with the throttle is that unless I'm moving (meaning running a magnet back and forth on the speed sensor) the throttle triggers an error 21 if there's no speed sensor input. I'm guessing this is something in the programming for safety or for a softer start on the components where it won't let you throttle without some movement first.

Thanks for this info Leeleeducati. The error messesage you are getting is not one that I have come across. My throttle works right from a dead stop as soon as you hit the throttle with no error message. The only error message I get on my unit is if you start pedeling or hitting the throttle too soon right after you power up the system. For some reason the bike likes to have about 10 seconds or so of no rider input after the system is first powered up before any torque rotation on the cranks or any throttle input. Once that intial 10 or 15 seconds after power up has passed you are good to go with no error messages. Sorry I can not remember the error code # reference it gives when this happens. I will take note of it the next time it happens and edit this to state error code number.

I just tried spinning the crank, waiting 15 seconds, manually inputting speed via magnet and still if I'm not "moving" I don't think the throttle works for long, in a few seconds I get Error 21. I'll have to see how it behaves on a bike when I eventually build this up. Let me know about your error?

Error 21 is a speed sensor error, so it should go away when you have it on your bike.

Leeleeducati said:
I just tried spinning the crank, waiting 15 seconds, manually inputting speed via magnet and still if I'm not "moving" I don't think the throttle works for long, in a few seconds I get Error 21. I'll have to see how it behaves on a bike when I eventually build this up. Let me know about your error?

Hi leeleeducati, where did you buy your battery from? I 'm especially interested in battery mount it seems to be made of metal (mine is tacky plastic) i am considering crafting one by myself, can you show more pics please?

HI leeleeducati. No worries at all regarding posting anything to do with these drives on this thread. I only ever wanted this thread to be a resource for these drives. Keep the info comming :)

Here's some pics. The main connection came with a key lock, but wouldn't you know it Bafang's key doesn't work. I took it off. Also, the battery came with a cover that snaps and screws on which you could paint to match the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpg
    IMG_8592.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 4,430
  • IMG_8593.jpg
    IMG_8593.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 4,430
  • IMG_8594.jpg
    IMG_8594.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 4,430
  • IMG_8595.jpg
    IMG_8595.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4,430
  • IMG_8596.jpg
    IMG_8596.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 4,430
  • IMG_8598.jpg
    IMG_8598.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4,430
thanks Leeleeducati for pics. I wander if your frame's battery mount is the same as mine (the frame identical to mine is shown in Keppler's thread https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101715#p1487395). My battery case is shown here (https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101715&start=25#p1491605) I think it is total garbage. Where did you buy yours? I must admit the battery case is the most important obstacle I came across.

The Bafang battery is different to the one that fits the Dengfu frame. Bafang had an OEM battery that is 12s 3p. Their bigger 600Wh pack is 12s 4p.

I'm not 100% sure because I haven't actually seen the Dengfu battery case. I'm pretty sure they're different.

Andy

I believe the Dengfu frame uses the BTF04 battery, the pics I posted are of the BTF03. Both are designed for use with the M600 depending on the frame you chose.

Not sure about, “normally” but it is LH treaded on mine. Also for the question on mounting from the other tread, I was once emailed these pics, sorry it was just a pic and not an actual CAD file, might still be useful to someone.

Attachments

• B45D3709-ABC7-4DDC-A11C-293583F7C927.png
    B45D3709-ABC7-4DDC-A11C-293583F7C927.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 4,308
  • 76FAF1BA-6C74-4B62-8ED3-D879085F5107.png
    76FAF1BA-6C74-4B62-8ED3-D879085F5107.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 4,308
  • 768F1CF3-88B7-4968-98A4-A1053E4CB36E.png
    768F1CF3-88B7-4968-98A4-A1053E4CB36E.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 4,308
Back