Compact Field Oriented Controller, ASI + Grin, limited run

Daveades said:
I have an Ezee rear hub,
<snip>
In October the my original motor was replaced with a new Ezee
<snip>
What I am trying to do is get the motor to spin freely when the assist cuts out at about 50 kmh on the downhill sprints. I don't need the motor to sustain the speed but I need it to not the drag that is holding me back.
The Ezee is a geared hub with an internal freewheeling clutch, so when the motor is not being powered, it does not drag the wheel.

If it *is* dragging the wheel anyway, then the clutch is siezed, and would need to be serviced or replaced.

Flip the bike upside down, wheel off ground, and hand-spin the tire in the direction of normal travel. It should freely spin, not quite as freely as a regular bike wheel, but close.

Now hand-spin the tire the other way, backwards. It should have a fair bit of drag, because now it's spinning the motor inside, thru the clutch and the planetary gears.

If those are not the behaviors you see, something is wrong inside the motor.

I can't help with the Field Weakening stuff; don't know about it.

THe freewheeling option in the PR should be ablet to feed just enough current to negate the drag of whatever motor you use, but you don't need it with a motor like the Ezee that is already freewheeling internally.

Thanks, I know this is a geared hub with a clutch. This isn't a mechanical issue.

The issue is its RPM maxes out at 49ish kmh or it did. Putting the Amax from 23A to 30A helped. I lowered it 23A to help with my voltage sag issue.

Now I take the Satiator to work and charge at work so my resting voltage stays above 50v during the ride. By about 20 km I'm pulling it down to 48v 49v from 58.6v at about 44 kmh and can't get it to spin faster. I will need a higher voltage battery.

I ran it today with 33.3 max amps in the PR setting and 3A field weakening and 4x assist. At 54ish volts it spun up to 52 kmh on the flats and 55 kmh going down the IMB. Once it drops below 53v while riding the hub won't let me spin it up past 50 kmh. I'll try 6A field weakening tomorrow.

Ultimately I'm likely looking at a different motor and battery but still has to be able to climb. I did go up the IWMB yesterday at 45 kmh after charging at work. :mrgreen:

justin_le said:
and we're working hard to have an Android port sorted not long after that.

And so we have it! This is our first public release of a phone app and it's currently available on the Google Play store here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.ebikes.phaserunner.softwaresuite

PRSuite.jpg

This works with our standard USB->TTL cables as long as you a USB On-The-Go adapter cable which goes from USB A to the mini or USB C standard. These are readily available on amazon and elsewhere:
https://www.amazon.com/Sanoxy-Micro-Right-Angle-Adapter/dp/B005GI2VMG/ref=sr_1_33?keywords=usb+otg+right+angle&qid=1576525211&sr=8-33
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CableCreation-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B0194WSKOM/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=usb+otg+right+angle&qid=1576525190&sr=8-9

View attachment 1

Our plan for later in 2020 is to support a bluetooth connection with the app and have a tiny TRRS terminated bluetooth adapter that would just plug into the communication port of the Baserunner or Phaserunner and then there will be a wireless option. But at least we can get a head start since most people already have the USB cable and now can do the tunings and settings with a phone instead of rolling the bike to a computer.

PR App Screen.jpg

We've got most of the functionality of the desktop app available with the exception that it doesn't have the default profile loading, and the dashboard view doesn't have a graphing/logging mode yet. Those are both being worked on for subsequent updates . The key things like setting parameters, running autotune etc. are present and we're interested to hear how this works out for people and if they find the interface intuitive enough. So let us know! And report any bugs too.

This is awesome, Justin! Great for making adjustments on the go, when you don't happen to have your laptop with you :)

I do wonder, if you already have OTG and you're planning Bluetooth, wouldn't it be possible to use a smartphone app not only for configuration, but also as a dashboard? This way you could have simple throttle-only setups without a CA3, or in addition to a CA3. Many people have their smartphones attached to their bikes already, so this would make a great addition.

1N4001 said:
I do wonder, if you already have OTG and you're planning Bluetooth, wouldn't it be possible to use a smartphone app not only for configuration, but also as a dashboard?

Yeah, not just possible but also part of the plan :) However for successful development it's best to focus on one thing at a time. First order of action is to get the setup and tuning utility fully functional since that's the most critical bit for usability, and then you can look forward to more and more features as time goes on.

I have compared the noise of a Bafang G310 powered by an ASI BAC500 against a sinewave KT controller.

The result was that both subjective and measured noise level was clearly lower with the KT controller.
Measured (with an iPad, so don‘t take the values too serious) from about 70cm away at 200rpm: ASI 63dB, KT 56dB.

The reason is most likely that the ASI uses a PWM frequency of 13kHz which causes a loud (and not comfortable) noise. The 16kHz PWM frequency of the KT causes only a barely hearable sound. (16kHz is less loud for human ear and also less dB)

Besides of this point, I would definitely prefer the ASI controller.

Are there any compact FOC controllers available which allow a higher PWM frequency?
I tried to increase PWM frequency on the ASI, but since that I cannot connect to it any more (LED flashing 4 times)

The app looks awesome!

I was thinking, as an interim solution would it be possible to get the raw BT-> UART feed through a display with an integrated Bluetooth radio, like the eggrider?

Hi, anyone use the phaserunner with a bafang fat motor , G060? I have the 750w rear motor, I did the autotune but when I apply throttle the motor its juddering , feels like the power it's pulsating to the motor. I have the cycle analyst v3 for a few years and just updated to last version now, maybe some settings are affecting the throttle behaviour?
Justin suggest to try the settings for GMAC except KV and poles me, I will try that too when I get home

Dear friends,

has anyone already had experience with the conversion of a standard Phaserunner wiring to L1019 Connector and maybe a schematic wiring diagram? (Phaserunner vs Phaserunner_L10)
Today I get my new GMAC 10T Motor with the L1019 Connector for my Surly Ogre Travelbike and now I´am thinking about best practice for a wiring harness of my old Phaserunner (with MT connector) and my CA3 (with speedsensor)

The new GMAC Hub Motor has speed and temp sensor included (speed 6 magnets I read), so i guess, it is a good Idea to think about a smooth wiring diagram, but currently I have no glue how to implement this :-(

I think the best way is, to solder the L1019 Connector to my old phaserunner and bypass the JST Connector (oki, the embedded MT60 Connector is maybe not a good Idea to soldering) and maybe passtrough Signal for Temp and speed directly to CA3?

justin_le said:
And so we have it! This is our first public release of a phone app and it's currently available on the Google Play store here

the app seems like a great idea, but I'm having problems with it. it connects and disconnects every 1 or 2 seconds I've tried it with 2 programming cables and got the same results.

Dumsterdave said:
the app seems like a great idea, but I'm having problems with it. it connects and disconnects every 1 or 2 seconds I've tried it with 2 programming cables and got the same results.

Hey Dave, can you tell us if you are using a phone with a micro-usb plug on it or USB-C? And give us some info on the phone model? We've got a few staff phones here that have also had the same issue show up and will soon be doing some test builds to try and fix this.

justin_le said:
Dumsterdave said:

Hey Dave, can you tell us if you are using a phone with a micro-usb plug on it or USB-C? And give us some info on the phone model? We've got a few staff phones here that have also had the same issue show up and will soon be doing some test builds to try and fix this.

it's a Xiaomi note 7 pro with usb-c

Hi

I'm looking at purchasing a Phaserunner to upgrade my Dualtron controller.

Is there anyway of only having throttle active whilst the scooter is moving ie. Push to start

chilau2000 said:
Is there anyway of only having throttle active whilst the scooter is moving ie. Push to start
I don't know if that's possible in the PR itself, but the Cycle Analyst v3 has this feature, in the Throttle and PAS menu screens, by using a minimum start speed. So if you need a power meter or speedometer / odometer / etc anyway, you could use the CAv3 for that and get the throttle stuff as a bonus.

amberwolf said:
chilau2000 said:
I don't know if that's possible in the PR itself, but the Cycle Analyst v3 has this feature, in the Throttle and PAS menu screens, by using a minimum start speed. So if you need a power meter or speedometer / odometer / etc anyway, you could use the CAv3 for that and get the throttle stuff as a bonus.

Thanks will look into the CAV3

Also my hub motor is sensorless, apart from better startup from stationary will there be any other benefits from running a sensored motor ?

Not really. With a good FOC controller, it knows the motor position once it's moving without any sensors just fine.

The fact that there's less to go wrong in sensorless is actually the most important difference between the two for most people.

But you can use the PR in sensored-start / sensorless-run mode, so if you do have sensors in the motor they will help you startup, then be ignored afterward. This is the best mode as long as it falls back to full sensorless mode if a sensor stops working (that, I don't know).

But since you would have to add sensors, I'd just stick with sensorless mode.

amberwolf said:
But you can use the PR in sensored-start / sensorless-run mode, so if you do have sensors in the motor they will help you startup, then be ignored afterward. This is the best mode as long as it falls back to full sensorless mode if a sensor stops working (that, I don't know).

Just confirming, the Phaserunner can be set to fall back to full sensorless mode in the event of a hall sensor fault. That behavior is toggled on/off via a checkbox in the Phaserunner programming suite, and it seems to default to 'on'.

amberwolf said:
Not really. With a good FOC controller, it knows the motor position once it's moving without any sensors just fine.

The fact that there's less to go wrong in sensorless is actually the most important difference between the two for most people.

But since you would have to add sensors, I'd just stick with sensorless mode.

Cool thanks for the info.
I will using kick off before enabling throttle so I won't need starting from a standstill.
I like it as a safety feature, have knocked the throttle on a few of my ebikes which didn't have this feature.

So what would work best for me? I have a ZEV S6000L. Its older, 2013. Uses first gen Volt cells. 21s charged to 84v cutoff at 70v. It powers a 5000w brushless hub motor. And its street legal so it has all the other stuff for 12v. Headlights, turn signals etc.

If you look at the specs for this controller, it won't be able to provide the 5000w you say your system is spec'd for.
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/phaserunner.html
Presumably you are looking for an upgrade from the 5000w you already say you have, so using a controller rated for even less isn't helpful.

Rather than posting the same thing in multiple threads, you should use your project thread for this scooter (make one if you don't have one) and put all your project questions in that thread. It will help people help you better.

Merlin said:
whats the "real" max eRPM for a phaserunner?

anyone had tried running it with a CYC x1 Pro Motor?
the stock controllers are hell of crap ;(

Also interested to know if the pr will work. Cant stand my stock controller.

Back