Induction motor sevcon gen4 issue

Inwo

10 kW
8kw induction motor runs fine using s6 80v controller in 2000lb vehicle.
Same motor runs great using s4 80v gen4 in <1000lb vehicle.

S4 in the heavy vehicle chatters harshly at low speed and high torque demand.
I don't know the proper term for this. Cavitation, cogging?

Turning the drive profile torque down to 60% works, but at high cost in acceleration.

It may be as simple as clipping on overcurrent. Although full throttle in torque mode is fine when over a couple thousand rpm.

A way to limit torque at low rpm may cover up the problem.

Lower performance is expected with the smaller controller, but not this extreme.

No, it's an induction motor with ab sensor.
Same motor and programming works fine in s6.
Am I wrong to expect it to work with s4 at lower performance?

It may be hitting a hard current limit and clipping. I would expect it to lock out in that case.

I'm looking for a way to limit torque at low rpm. It runs fine cutback to 60% torque.
I can start in a reduced torque mode, then switch to 100% drive profile, with good results.
I'm looking into triggering drive 2 from low speed.

My dld does not seem to have a table that sets torque/rpm.

Does someone have a new file for an 8kw induction motor?

More sevcon induction motor questions.
What do you suppose Polaris is trying to accomplish with this slip map?
Extracted from 2012 Ranger 8kw 48v s6 gen 4. I am using this in another vehicle.
Log shows full throttle and torque. Performance is lacking. Less than 300amps under heavy load. 6000rpm limit. Not hitting drive profile limit. Limited by torque to 6000rpm and 30mph.

Attachments

• ranger oem slip.gif
    ranger oem slip.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,509
Compare to this from a 72v e-zone 7kw s4 gen4 induction motor drive.
I have both files if someone needs them.

zone oem slip.gif

I working on a EV setup with the ME-1507 IPM motor for Polaris RANGER UTV. I'll try to get a SEVCON GEN4 S4 to run this motor. However, a better controller choice appears to be the SME AC-X1 375/188A model; which still has very long lead time. Do you have a EV system on a Ranger?

I don't have a ranger, but I have the controller and files. S4 and s6 gen 4 controllers. Also 8kw induction motors and big Pmac motors for transaxle mount.
I was hoping to run higher voltage, but the ranger files from s6 48v won't run in an 80v s6.

Inwo said:
I don't have a ranger, but I have the controller and files. S4 and s6 gen 4 controllers....
Hey, i've got a bust controller out of my ranger, would you consider selling your S6 Gen 4?

Yes, I would.
I have files now, so I can clone another, but I paid good money for my s6 controllers.

It would be interesting to see how the Sevcon Gen4.5 (not sure what the .5 is) S4 controller used by Zero Motorcycles with their IPM ZF75-7R motors is programmed.

I don't have a ranger, but I have the controller and files. S4 and s6 gen 4 controllers. Also 8kw induction motors and big Pmac motors for transaxle mount.
I was hoping to run higher voltage, but the ranger files from s6 48v won't run in an 80v s6.
Did you ever figure out how to use the 80v version? I have a zero g6 that im gonna try in a 2013 ranger ev. Waiting on dvt software.

Should be a near direct swap to semi clone an 80v gen 4. You need the offroad polaris dld to start. Why would you consider this? A Ranger doesn't really need hotrodding. 35mph is easy enough at 48v, and oem controller can handle 60v.

Should be a near direct swap to semi clone an 80v gen 4. You need the offroad polaris dld to start. Why would you consider this? A Ranger doesn't really need hotrodding. 35mph is easy enough at 48v, and oem controller can handle 60v.

Back