Frey CC ordered!

Hi Tom, I think not a lot of people put a rack on a full suspension mountain bike, so not a lot of people have first hand experience anyway.

I suggest you try it and see if you like it, if it works for you, great. If it doesn't work, than back to the backpack it is....

We hope in April/May to add a CC to our Frey "fleet" (an HT and an M600) in Thailand :D
I will ask Ivy to add a rack so we can try it first hand.

In any case anyone is wondering about the universal size frame on the CC, I asked Ivy what height they recommend. They belive it will work well for riders 160 to 190 cm (approx. 5' 3" to 6' 3").

Anyone know why they designed the CC with such a long reach? Looks to be 479.4 mm. Only thing I can come up with is to accommodate very tall riders given the universal frame size but seems too long a reach for most other riders. I haven't seen many bikes with longer than 460 mm reach, even for larger frames. I suppose it might be more comfortable with swept back handlebars to shorten the reach.

Hi,

I've seen Ivy herself ride the CC model and she ain't tall, while I've had a go as well and at 1.78m it was no problem. The handlebars make for an upright riding position even at those reach values. Also, a size doesn't completely determine the fit of a bike and I think the <160 &190< people can make it work. I'd love to see how well a CC can handle rear racks and especially with a person sitting on the back, which is something common in the Netherlands where people are easily 180+ and 80+kg.

Cheers

Frey told me they weren't starting to build these new 2020 bikes until the new year, but have told me mine should be with me before CNY on 25th January. Hopefully I will have some photos of the build to share soon.

Built! Now I just have to wait for delivery

jcfFSF7.jpg

KENyqqx.jpg

uICaETp.jpg

Nice, looks good in green! I ordered one in matte black. Got an email yesterday that it was in production.

Tom said:
Nice, looks good in green! I ordered one in matte black. Got an email yesterday that it was in production.

Took about 3 days after I got that email. So not long to wait!

eggbert said:
These are the photos, or are my imgur images not showing for you?
Nope but I believe Imgur is blocked in China? I will try with the VPN.

It did work with the VPN, sory for that. Beautiful color!! :thumb:

First post, my quest for information on the CC led me here :)

I was set to pull the trigger on a Trek Allant+ 8s to serve as my daily commuter but then I stumbled on the CC, which is a major upgrade in almost every way and $1k cheaper even with the shipping cost. Im coming from an 80s Cannondale all aluminum road bike that is insanely stiff so the idea of full suspension seems like total luxury.

Couple questions:
1. Pics above are not any of the advertised colors. Am I able to request others? Did that cost extra?

2. Are the fenders plastic? Looks like it from the pic?

3. Maintenance. Is this bike pretty much a 100% on your own to fix or are normal shops able to service? I’m most concerned about the bearings in the suspension and the motor and other things being custom to the bike.

4. Does the ultra motor have a “natural” pedal feel? Especially when I’m using no assist, I’ve read gen 3 and older Bosch motors don’t have a natural feel due to reduction gearing.

5. If I needed a new battery, is this custom made from Frey?

Thanks for any info/perspective you can share!

To clarify, group buy is over (confirmed with Frey).

wiRider, you can contact Frey to get info on warranty and specs like fenders. They respond within 12 hours. Pretty sure you can order any color without upcharge and customize anything to your needs, including fenders and rack. I don't own an ultra yet but my impression is torque sensing is good enough, alebeit not to the level of perfection of say a Brose. You can tune the torque sensing somewhat via programming but if tuning doesn't meet your needs aftermarket controllers like the exess may be an option for tighter response.

Mine has made it to Australia, but it looks like it will be next week before it will all arrive in my neck of the woods.
If you can wait another week wrider I can answer some of your questions then.

eggbert said:
Mine has made it to Australia, but it looks like it will be next week before it will all arrive in my neck of the woods.
If you can wait another week wrider I can answer some of your questions then.

I can definitely wait and look forward to your review :)

Yes, looking forward living vicariously! Still don't have pics for mine. Got an automated email it was sent to production on Jan 9 but nothing since. Regardless will be on the slow boat from China for April delivery.

Anyone planning on riding any trails with this bike? While my primary application would be commuting I’m wondering how suitable this would be for some light trail riding.

eggbert, has your CC arrived yet? How are you liking it?

I ordered mine in Matte Black. Not necessarily mine, but Frey sent this pic after I asked if they had a sample. Was hoping for a little more carbon pop and glossy black lettering like this but does have stealth factor. I may choose a different color.

9S9M36T.jpg

Hey eggbert, you're killin' us with anticipation. :D In the mean time here's a teaser video from Frey's swiss rep:

Usually a city bike has no rear suspension. Mostly only in the front. Good suspension and good tires give an incredible safety advantage. This is explained and demonstrated in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMOrwX6rAB8

He also has some video of the EX if you click on his other videos.

I originally ordered the CC model after seeing the Electrek video because it is a very nice commuter bike but I was concerned that the bike might not be as capable on trails as Frey’s mountain bikes. I ended up ordering an AM1000 and added fenders, lights, and a rear rack. If you want a bike that can handle any terrain, the AM1000 might be one to consider.
If you have questions about Frey bikes, sinborn1981 can answer all of your questions. Simon is Frey’s rep in England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sincerely hope that I didn’t kill this thread with my comments. I’ll just watch moving forward.

Sorry for the late reply, but life intervened.
Between work, monsoon season and a little illness I didn't get to ride the bike for most of a month, but now I've managed to put a few kilometres on it.
I have so far ridden about 120km (about760 miles) on the bike either on road or bike paths. I would have ridden more but even with a pair of cushioned shorts I've been a bit saddle sore the last couple of weeks. Far more to do with my lack of fitness than any failing of the bike.
Onto the build. The bike came safely packaged in a bike box with loads of packing materials and zip ties protecting it from damage. Putting it together was fairly easy although it took me quite a while longer than I expected to do so. The finish is fantastic, and I'm really happy with how the paint job turned out. The only issue I had with the whole bike is that Frey seem to have forgotten to add a couple of bolts to connect the kick stand to it. I found a couple of bolts which I thought would do the trick, but the kickstand fell off at some stage during a 16km (10 mile) ride home one day. I've managed to find the stand but have not yet put it back.
I'm unfortunately unfit, so what did I do on my first ride to work? Yup you guessed it, I tried to ride my daily 16km each way commute as hard as I could with the bike at minimum assist settings instead of at maximum assist, and paid for it in muscle aches and pains for a few days after.
I quickly learned my lesson and did my next few rides at a far more sedate pace and with more assist (taking the same amount of time to get there). Around half an hour for 16 I'm works out to be an average of 30-35km/h or 22ish miles per hour. The bike could go faster but I don't want to push myself too hard until I get a bit fitter.
Suspension has been completely fine although I have ground the pedals a few times by having my feet in the wrong position - something I never remember having done on non e-bikes before. I don't know if the pedals are lower than usual or if I am just leaning the bike over more when cornering.
Speed. I've done a couple of tests of speed. On a slight incline I managed 48km/h (a hair under 30mph) with pedal assist 5, and 58km/h (36mph) on throttle on Eco mode, and after finding sport mode today I was able to push the bike up to 52km/h using full pedal assist.
Battery is doing well I think. On Eco mode I could easily manage 65km (40m) on L5 assist with a bit of throttle use if I wanted to, but have been trying to maintain the battery somewhere between 20-80%. On sport mode with a 1km top speed burst on throttle, I used close to 40% battery on my ride home this evening.
So far I'm really happy with the bike, except for the mudguards which feel a bit flimsy and I've struggled to get a good fit on the front wheel meaning there head been some rubbing on the tire.

Back