Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Yes, the rear rim is centered on the hub. The hub flanges are the same height & spokes are all the same length. :thumb:

3DTOPO said:
Rix said:
Merlin said:
Does it show any errors in display?
(the harness is for diagnostic stuff) but AFAIK you can't use by yourself.

There's also a crash sensor. But before you disassemble the bike to disconnect stuff for testing where did you bought?
It's new with 0 miles. Your dealer should help?

Got it from Luna direct. Its under some kind of warranty for sure, I don't want to touch it and screw that up. I will get it working, just a matter of time.

I would be willing to bet its one of the protection sensors, which as I'm sure you know are on the (1) breaks, (2) tilt and (3) kickstand.

I would first try disconnecting the break sensors - mine caused the same issue with hardly any miles on the bike. Of the sensors, they can be disconnected the most easily without taking anything apart. Just unscrew the thumb nuts over the wires going to the breaks then pull the wires out. I would have removed them even if they weren't faulty eventually - I much prefer them removed. If that doesn't do it I would disconnect the kickstand sensor next (triangle connector).
So the initial problem was one of the brake sensors were the cause. I disconnected both brake sensors and the bike work perfectly for about 30 seconds. As I was leaving my driveway for a road test, I twisted the throttle, it took off normal, then power was cut and nothing. Lights and horn along with the display all working, but no go. then when I powered the bike off and on again, I twisted the throttle, felt a surge, then nothing. Repeatedly twisted the throttle and no surge, unless I power the bike off and back on. Weird to say the least. After I find out whats going on with possible warranty stuff, I may just tear the thing down and see what we got going on. Hey Allex, will you be available for 40 questions by PM?

On another note, I did email Luna about the issue and got a quick response from "Gary" who said to do what Merlin said and check my sensors. I heard it was hard to get a hold of Luna for support, if it was, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Heads up to everyone having trouble getting the bike started; The most common thing I've seen on my bike to cause the bike to turn on but to not respond to throttle is the throttle not returning to its "idle" position. If it doesn't return to zero input, my bike will not allow any motor power when powered on. Mine was fixed by replacing my throttle cable which was in dire need of being replaced anyway due to binding. I could also get away with "pumping" the throttle back and forth to try to get it to land at zero throttle. My experience is with the non- X version from March 2018 so your mileage may vary.

Aside from upgrading the battery, which option gives the greater boost in performance: Thermo Nucular 24F + Onboard computer or ASI BAC 4000 + ERT NXT display? I'd like to understand the differences between these two solutions and which one do you consider more mature at their current state of development.

Merlin said:
can only someone tell if he had both side by side.

i dont know what an ASI4000 with display costs but power wise they should be pretty equal.
beside that asi is huge and ugly to hide :p

I have Sur-Ron bikes with both ASI and Nucular.
I highly recommend Nucular to everybody considering a controller upgrade. The control mode and throttle options available on the nucular controller are some of the best feature for off-road users. There is 3 different throttle modes to choose from, and it’s simple to change between. It seems like Nucular actually ride high powered electric bikes and know what riders would want to adjust, whereas ASI are software engineers who have created an overy complicated user interface with poor descriptions for end users to decipher.
If you are only drag racing either controller will give you power but for off-road use I love the refinement of the nucular.

Aebrennan said:
I have Sur-Ron bikes with both ASI and Nucular.
I highly recommend Nucular to everybody considering a controller upgrade. The control mode and throttle options available on the nucular controller are some of the best feature for off-road users. There is 3 different throttle modes to choose from, and it’s simple to change between. It seems like Nucular actually ride high powered electric bikes and know what riders would want to adjust, whereas ASI are software engineers who have created an overy complicated user interface with poor descriptions for end users to decipher.
If you are only drag racing either controller will give you power but for off-road use I love the refinement of the nucular.

Thanks for your feedback and advice, I think I'm going to preorder a Nucular 24F with the On-board display then. 8)

Btw guys, I can't stop laughing at these numbers: Segway raised 400k euros in a Light Bee crowdfunding campaign
There are even "Concept" and "Prototype" stages like if they were to actually do any work besides the mere rebranding and dropshipping. :lol: If only I knew that setting up a business was as easy as creating a crowdfunding campaign for a 2-year old electric motorcycle so that I can place Sur-Ron a big order using someone else money... But of course, I don't own any famous brand.

Lol someone needs to tell this guy to disconnect the battery :p

and thats on the kickstarter!

giphy.gif

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
also surron wouldn't be what it is today without the investment from Segway (or others) ..

Well since Segway didn't invest until 2019 (later in the year IIRC), I don't think we've seen any improvements as a result of that investment - yet. So I think it would be more accurate to say that the Sur Ron of the future wouldn't be what they are today without the investment from Segway.

:wink:

So far segway's own business efforts have been a giant failure so I really don't expect them to succeed this time. Even with the sur ron to offer they can very well fail to meet the customers needs like they have in the past.

X-Nitro said:
So far segway's own business efforts have been a giant failure so I really don't expect them to succeed this time. Even with the sur ron to offer they can very well fail to meet the customers needs like they have in the past.

Segway has been bought by ninebot, they are 100% in chinese hands, and if their new scooters are anything to go by, they have been plain milking the brand for name recognition.

Rix said:
3DTOPO said:
Rix said:
Merlin said:
Does it show any errors in display?
(the harness is for diagnostic stuff) but AFAIK you can't use by yourself.

There's also a crash sensor. But before you disassemble the bike to disconnect stuff for testing where did you bought?
It's new with 0 miles. Your dealer should help?

Got it from Luna direct. Its under some kind of warranty for sure, I don't want to touch it and screw that up. I will get it working, just a matter of time.

I would be willing to bet its one of the protection sensors, which as I'm sure you know are on the (1) breaks, (2) tilt and (3) kickstand.

I would first try disconnecting the break sensors - mine caused the same issue with hardly any miles on the bike. Of the sensors, they can be disconnected the most easily without taking anything apart. Just unscrew the thumb nuts over the wires going to the breaks then pull the wires out. I would have removed them even if they weren't faulty eventually - I much prefer them removed. If that doesn't do it I would disconnect the kickstand sensor next (triangle connector).
So the initial problem was one of the brake sensors were the cause. I disconnected both brake sensors and the bike work perfectly for about 30 seconds. As I was leaving my driveway for a road test, I twisted the throttle, it took off normal, then power was cut and nothing. Lights and horn along with the display all working, but no go. then when I powered the bike off and on again, I twisted the throttle, felt a surge, then nothing. Repeatedly twisted the throttle and no surge, unless I power the bike off and back on. Weird to say the least. After I find out whats going on with possible warranty stuff, I may just tear the thing down and see what we got going on. Hey Allex, will you be available for 40 questions by PM?

On another note, I did email Luna about the issue and got a quick response from "Gary" who said to do what Merlin said and check my sensors. I heard it was hard to get a hold of Luna for support, if it was, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Buddy, connect that cable between the battery and square connector and then read the LED:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z3zYZlmToRGorZ8lojJM1fB6chmriqd2/view

Allex said:
Rix said:
3DTOPO said:
Rix said:

Buddy, connect that cable between the battery and square connector and then read the LED:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z3zYZlmToRGorZ8lojJM1fB6chmriqd2/view

6 flashes, looks like it could be a halls sensor issue. Gary and Seb from Luna are working with me on the issue, got to say I am impressed with the level of support after the sale.

There is a connector for the hall sensors behind the controller but it’s hard to get to. Might need reseating.

skyungjae said:
Great to see what this bike is capable of numbers wise.

[youtube]y6C7V2pBTh4[/youtube]

Amazing how good ERT service is for someone with a popular YouTube channel 🙄

For so many other ERT customers who get the polar opposite...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=104271&sid=c5152720a457410bff3eeed1d62ae83b

Aebrennan said:
Amazing how good ERT service is for someone with a popular YouTube channel 🙄

For so many other ERT customers who get the polar opposite...

Agreed, I was surprised he got the ASI delivered so quickly. Alan is flaky and has been for years. Jack is a good dude, he's definitely bringing attention to the Surron from a new niche. Pity he went with the ASI - but with a 4 month lead time on the Nucular it's understandable. Here's his latest, stock battery with BMS discharge bypassed - 61mph, 11.8HP on the dyno.

[youtube]wM9YukW-EDI[/youtube]

I'm planning on taking my Surron to a dyno. Mines now running Nucular with 16s/10p/30q auxiliary battery, 220a battery/500a phase. Supermoto wheel set, Luna belt. Top speed so far 102km/h on a short straight on a windy road. I'm curious to capture some data as I tweak some controller settings.

I just did a mod that gave me 1mph higher top speed and quieter operation.On EBay look under Niche 420 Xring chain,comes from Canada by Fedx ,3 days to Hawaii.Way less friction than broken in Oring chain,should get even better.Side benefit was less noise.

Kauaiguy said:
I just did a mod that gave me 1mph higher top speed and quieter operation.On EBay look under Niche 420 Xring chain,comes from Canada by Fedx ,3 days to Hawaii.Way less friction than broken in Oring chain,should get even better.Side benefit was less noise.

Awesome! Mahalo. Pretty much the only time it's cheaper and easier for me to get something for this bike in Canada. Although I would definitely rather pay more and live in Hawaii.

Part of the reason that convinced me to go for a Nucular kit is because I tryed to get in touch with ERT last year, I got an answer from Alan, then asked some more questions, and he magically disappeared. I tryed multiple times to contact him again, but he never answered. It's like he doesn't like money, he has an e-commerce which serves basically no purpose. :mrgreen:

Anyway, could somebody please explain me why it takes Nucular so much to manufacture these controllers? If they really got such big demand, why not trying to speed up the pace?

The Nucular operation is pretty small and only a few people are involved. It costs a lot of money to increase production and since they are currently developing plenty of new tech I can imagine that increasing production isn't a primary concern for them.

That thing looks awesome. I'm curious what Luna manages to put together on their new upgrade kit. They said that there will be other options than the blue/orange but no details yet.

Back